Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. If a character is blocking another's ascendancy, the former character will attract a lot of abuse regardless if it's warranted or not. Once that character is not deemed a threat anymore, however, the anger will dissipate fairly quickly.
    HEAT voluntarily disbanded the moment Hal became Green Lantern again.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I liked Kyle and wally better then hal. Hal and barry were dull as dirt. Wally and Kyle had better control of their powers and Kyle didn't have that really dumb yellow weakness. "oh no! He has a yellow smily face shirt on! I'm powerless!" Dumbest weakness ever. Plus hal made hammers and bubbles with his ring. Oh scary. Kyle made dinos, flight girls, trains, mech outfits and full working ships and even could make it real and stay if he focused on his powers!

Funny that both hal and barry both started copying wally and Kyle when they came back. Barry was wally with barrys name in the cw show, justice league movie and other things. Hal is now using Kyle's robots and trains something Kyle could do because he was a artist. Guess hal took art class after he came back to life. I dropped both books when hal and barry came back.

As for the corps it was removed because if your in trouble just call for back up. Their are 500 gl that can come to your aid. Not much of a threat. Heck there are what 5 gl on earth alone? Kyle didn't have that and was on his own. I'm fine with the corps but I see why he got rid of them also. Marvel went through the same trouble with mutants. If there are 900 mutants then why are they scared of puny powerless humans? Just team up and defeat them.

I don't hate hal and bary and they are not as bad in jl with other heroes but when it's their solo books i'll pass as I never cared for them by themselves.

As for scrappy (pasted from another site as i'm lazy)--

Ready for a shock. Scrappy saved Scooby-doo! The show had gone stale with the same "fake ghost" plot to the point they made fun of it themselves in Scooby-doo in Hollywood. Ratings had been dropping and the show was about to get killed. Scrappy was put in to save the show and was a HUGE hit with kids so much they had to add him to the title. Folks forget how big scrappy was with kids. They loved him. The real ghosts were added to save the show also after kids were bored with the same thing and it worked.

Funny thing about scrappy that most people forget is there are two versions of him. The early scrappy is the one folks make fun of. He was in the first season with scrappy and the solo 7 min cartoons with just shaggy and Scooby. This is the "puppy power!" scrappy. It's scrappy at his worst. He could get annoying in these episodes. Funny thing is he was super strong and if they had not grabbed him and ran away from the ghosts he would have hurt the fake ghosts badly as he is shown to be really strong.

Then when daphne came back and took over as leader (most people see this as one of the best versions of her) and shaggy got a red shirt they changed scrappy to act more like velma. Puppy power was gone and he was no longer super strong. He was smarter and didn't lead the gang into trouble. This is the better scrappy that most forget about.

Funny thing is the new scrappy and scooby show and it's follow up new Scooby mysteries are a mix of fake ghosts and real ones. To mix it up one episode the ghost is fake and the next it's real. Sometimes they have both in the same episode! One episode had them helping a actress stop a ghost who is haunting her mansion. The ghost turns out to be fake. The actress turns out to be a vampire! Another had them busting a fake ghost in the jungle only for both the Scooby gang and fake ghost to stumble across aliens and a real ufo!

Then there's the Halloween special where the classic universal monsters ask the gang to help them fight a ghost! The ghost turns out to be fake (real ghosts are getting haunted by humans!) but the magic wand they steal and use is real.

These episode mix both fake ghosts and real ones. Another neat touch is Scooby and the gang are well known for both ghost hunting and mystery solving and are hired for both.
    Everyone attacks scrappy but the show was on for 8 more years after he joined the show! 8 years! 10 if you count pup named scooby-doo.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Honestly, Scrappy never deserved the hate he got and still gets.
    Oh god, he really does. He's more irritating than Jar Jar Binks

Dolores Umbridge or Joffrey Baratheon, Felicity Smoak are more irritating than Jar Jar
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Right. You rarely ever hear any criticisms about Kyle anymore, which means his characterization was never really the problem (same goes, IMO, for the ones ripped apart today... or will in the future).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I liked Kyle and wally better then hal. Hal and barry were dull as dirt. Wally and Kyle had better control of their powers and Kyle didn't have that really dumb yellow weakness. "oh no! He has a yellow smily face shirt on! I'm powerless!" Dumbest weakness ever. Plus hal made hammers and bubbles with his ring. Oh scary. Kyle made dinos, flight girls, trains, mech outfits and full working ships and even could make it real and stay if he focused on his powers!

Funny that both hal and barry both started copying wally and Kyle when they came back. Barry was wally with barrys name in the cw show, justice league movie and other things. Hal is now using Kyle's robots and trains something Kyle could do because he was a artist. Guess hal took art class after he came back to life. I dropped both books when hal and barry came back.

As for the corps it was removed because if your in trouble just call for back up. Their are 500 gl that can come to your aid. Not much of a threat. Heck there are what 5 gl on earth alone? Kyle didn't have that and was on his own. I'm fine with the corps but I see why he got rid of them also. Marvel went through the same trouble with mutants. If there are 900 mutants then why are they scared of puny powerless humans? Just team up and defeat them.

I don't hate hal and bary and they are not as bad in jl with other heroes but when it's their solo books i'll pass as I never cared for them by themselves.
    Hal hasn't really copied anything from Kyle. Yeah his Silver Age constructs were less complex, but that's because it was the Silver Age. If we transition to modern writing, his constructs are naturally going to get more complex. And John apparently was building complex constructs before Kyle, and was the imaginative one. I also think simply getting rid of the yellow weakness like Johns eventually did was a better idea than getting rid of Hal himself along with the entire Corps.

While Barry utilizes the speed force and some of Wally's rogues, everything built up in the GL franchise recently was either already present from Hal's old stuff, or added when he returned. Is there anything left over from Kyle's era besides Kyle himself?

BANNED

I liked Scrappy-Doo, thought he was a fun little puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Oh god, he really does. He's more irritating than Jar Jar Binks
    Not even close. Scrappy's issues was that he showed Shaggy and Scooby as the idiots they were for still being scared of guys in costumes. Jar Jar was an offensive stereotype who only became tolerable when Lucas wasn't in charge.

As for scrappy (pasted from another site as i'm lazy)--

Everyone attacks scrappy but the show was on for 8 more years after he joined the show! 8 years! 10 if you count pup named scooby-doo.
    Space is a large place and you're not always going to have the option of calling in for back up when you need it. It's not like Batman calls in the Justice League for every problem he has. As for mutants, saying they should team up is easier said than done. Not every mutant wants to fight and numbers alone don't win fights.

Space is a large place and you're not always going to have the option of calling in for back up when you need it. It's not like Batman calls in the Justice League for every problem he has. As for mutants, saying they should team up is easier said than done. Not every mutant wants to fight and numbers alone don't win fights.

In a interview with wizard or hero mag (remember them?) that was one of the main reasons he said he got rid of the corps.

I'm fine with the corps. Again I think hal and barry is dull by themselfs but I don't hate them. I even own some hal and barry trades and they were fine in jla year one. They are fine with a full cast around him and hal was fine in the first animated gl movie (didn't care for the cg series). I just liked wally and Kyle more.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

In a interview with wizard or hero mag (remember them?) that was one of the main reasons he said he got rid of the corps.

I'm fine with the corps. Again I think hal and barry is dull by themselfs but I don't hate them. I even own some hal and barry trades and they were fine in jla year one. They are fine with a full cast around him and hal was fine in the first animated gl movie (didn't care for the cg series). I just liked wally and Kyle more.
    Was it Ron Marz? It seems like a lousy excuse to get rid of them. His approach to the GL mythos is the opposite in effectiveness compared to how he approached Witchblade/Top Cow. He greatly expanded the latter (not hard to do, because it was a newer/weaker property compared to the GL lore) and greatly reduced the former.

I do agree that I like Wally as much, if not a little more, than Barry though. But it's definitely Hal for me in the Hal vs. Kyle debate.

BANNED

I used to think everything about Guy Gardner was unappealing back in the day. It was only after the 2006 GLC run that I fell in love with the character. I think his unlikable history is what made him so likable in that series. He's currently my favorite Green Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Hal hasn't really copied anything from Kyle. Yeah his Silver Age constructs were less complex, but that's because it was the Silver Age. If we transition to modern writing, his constructs are naturally going to get more complex. And John apparently was building complex constructs before Kyle, and was the imaginative one. I also think simply getting rid of the yellow weakness like Johns eventually did was a better idea than getting rid of Hal himself along with the entire Corps.

While Barry utilizes the speed force and some of Wally's rogues, everything built up in the GL franchise recently was either already present from Hal's old stuff, or added when he returned. Is there anything left over from Kyle's era besides Kyle himself?
    You can't even really compare the two, Wally run is pretty much the base for the modern Flash tales. Kyle is more like a particular status quo that went on for longer than most causal readers would believe. Still i don't personally had a side in the Hal vs Kyle debate in a personal level, they aren't bad, but neither of then ever quite did it for me.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    From my experience, the Kyle hate was more based on how Hal was shafted, and Kyle fans wanting Hal fans to shut up about it, which inevitably turned into each fanbase crapping on the others' character. So I don't think people really hated him per se.
    Plenty of the "Hal fans" hated Kyle Rayner and his fans quite a bit and visa versa.

The DC GL Message board was a freakin' war zone.

Good times.....
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

It's really too bad the Kyle Rayner Attack Pack never took off after that.
    Batman - Daredevil