Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

An Appreciation post for the Morrison/Quitely era NEW X-MEN costumes. At the time I found them superior to the “reality based” costume adaptations seen the the Bryan Singer movies. Ironically when the movie series got around to adapting the Quitely look, they found a way to make them dull as dishwater.
    http://https://screenrant.com/dark-p...stumes-comics/

Imagining if all the characters had been under one creative roof visually instead of splintered into 3 factions - with the X-Treme team favoring black/red and the other X-Men team adhering closer to the Quitely look in color but not design...

19641BC3-8D88-425A-824C-087C38A7D735.jpg

^^I would love to see some other characters rock the X-Jackets and sweaters and put their own spin on them.

I realized what bothers me about the current 'wear your mutant clothes' thing. I like seeing it in the background, but for an ongoing title it really comes off as lazy. I think House of X's freshness is in part to the redesigns, including Xavier's simplistic black body suit with the Cerebra helmet. Scott's and Magneto's truly improve upon previous designs. With some of Dawn of X's output you have Emma looking fantastic, Kitty finally has a visual identity again, and the X-Factor crew look very fresh!

Yet Kwannon is wearing someone else's mutant clothes. The Hellions and X-Force look like someone on Comic Vine did a hasty collage. The New Mutants sort of get a pass, but Cypher's redesign proves you can use that color palette, create cohesive looks that are very New Mutants-esque, and still showcase individuality through personal style.

tl;dr: I think books should have a visual identity even if people around the island brilliantly go around wearing outfits from yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Yet Kwannon is wearing someone else's mutant clothes. The Hellions and X-Force look like someone on Comic Vine did a hasty collage. The New Mutants sort of get a pass, but Cypher's redesign proves you can use that color palette, create cohesive looks that are very New Mutants-esque, and still showcase individuality through personal style.
    What I wouldn't give for a designer to give the New Mutants individual lewks with the impact Bachalo gave Magik. And I don't even really care for the Bachalo-Magik lewk.

But back to your point, I feel like Hellfire-adjacent agents should have House of Carnation(Dauterman) couture, X-Force should be in Quitely leathers, New Mutants need Kris Anka, and Excalibur... Luciano Vecchio?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-05-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Have there been any more clues by Hickman as to why he insists Jean stay in the Marvelgirl minidress? I get that if he wanted her to reflect a mindset of a certain era she was in, but her outfit is so out of place. It just doesn’t fit. I really like the design Cyclops uses, and wish Jean had a green and black bodysuit to compliment what Scott and Magneto are wearing, so I did my own: gone is the cowl. She wears a tiara with a portable mini cerebro unit housed in the pentagram of her tiara. She is also spirting her signature Morrison boots, and 90’s forearm gauntlets...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    What I wouldn't give for a designer to give the New Mutants individual lewks with the impact Bachalo gave Magik. And I don't even really care for the Bachalo-Magik lewk.
    Am I going to use this as an excuse to post Magma's Age of X look?

Yes, it seems I am.

I like seeing it in the background, but for an ongoing title it really comes off as lazy. I think House of X's freshness is in part to the redesigns, including Xavier's simplistic black body suit with the Cerebra helmet. Scott's and Magneto's truly improve upon previous designs. [/B]
    Isn't Magneto's look just the Bachalo look? Not that I disagree with your point.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Am I going to use this as an excuse to post Magma's Age of X look?

Yes, it seems I am.

Isn't Magneto's look just the Bachalo look? Not that I disagree with your point.
    Almost but the sleeves make it better as I didnt like his arms showing

Ah, I see now. Slightly but definitely improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Have there been any more clues by Hickman as to why he insists Jean stay in the Marvelgirl minidress? I get that if he wanted her to reflect a mindset of a certain era she was in, but her outfit is so out of place. It just doesn’t fit. I really like the design Cyclops uses, and wish Jean had a green and black bodysuit to compliment what Scott and Magneto are wearing, so I did my own: gone is the cowl. She wears a tiara with a portable mini cerebro unit housed in the pentagram of her tiara. She is also spirting her signature Morrison boots, and 90’s forearm gauntlets...
    I like the design, but you just know if Bachalo had redesigned Jean, she'd have variation of this:

bachalo.jpg
    Last edited by H-E-D; 04-05-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    I don’t think Jean’s look needs to “compliment” anyone else’s. The iconography of the Marvel Girl look might need some updating for sure but for now, I’m loving some non-Phoenix signature visuals being served up by our ean.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I don’t think Jean’s look needs to “compliment” anyone else’s. The iconography of the Marvel Girl look might need some updating for sure but for now, I’m loving some non-Phoenix signature visuals being served up by our ean.
    She actually looks good there but lets be honest. She's been in it since last summer and 95% of the artists that drew her have her looking goofy

I like the design, but you just know if Bachalo had redesigned Jean, she'd have variation of this:

bachalo.jpg
    He kinda already DID! Lol. Bachalo’s Jean in Age of Apocalypse sequel....

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    He kinda already DID! Lol. Bachalo’s Jean in Age of Apocalypse sequel....
    she lookin fresh as fuh mmmmhhhhmmmmm
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Almost but the sleeves make it better as I didnt like his arms showing

Yeah the sleeves make all the difference.

Not all costumes need total overhauls and that was such a smart, tiny tweak.

bachalo.jpg
    LOL I love Bachalo but I am so tired of that outfit.

His costume for men have fared a lot better. I do like his Magik look aside from the hot pants/boots, but really--re-tool that brilliant Phoenix Five costume into not involving the Phoenix and you have a winner.

notice how erik only had his pistons out when charles was dead, he just doesn't want his husband to feel emasculated
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah the sleeves make all the difference.

Not all costumes need total overhauls and that was such a smart, tiny tweak.

LOL I love Bachalo but I am so tired of that outfit.

His costume for men have fared a lot better. I do like his Magik look aside from the hot pants/boots, but really--re-tool that brilliant Phoenix Five costume into not involving the Phoenix and you have a winner.
    It took them way too long to do a non-Phoenix take on Coipel’s Namor design.