Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Full disclosure request: is this a stealth character-hate thread?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I dont think that was OP's intention but it can very easily turn out that way. There's a very thin line between "Character I don't like" and "Creators pet"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Full disclosure request: is this a stealth character-hate thread?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Why not? Most people hate Mary Sues and Gary Stu's--except for their creators and the people they manage to propagandize with the overkill.

In the last decade or so Batman, there are plenty of characthers with popularity induced plot armor and jobbing aura (Deathstroke, Wolverine, Harley Quinn, Deadpool) but he and Joker are probably the worst in that regard.

BTW, i'm not saying that i dislike Bruce, i just dislike how he is written some times.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

DC:
    - Duke Thomas
    - Wallace West
    - Naomi

Marvel:
    - Riri Williams
    - Daredevil's "sidekick"

These are the only ones that popped up in my head.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    DC:
    - Duke Thomas
    - Wallace West
    - Naomi

Marvel:
    - Riri Williams
    - Daredevil's "sidekick"

How the hell does Blindspot count as Creator's pet?
    During Soule's run he's not given more relevance over Daredevil, there are a couple where he disappears completely, he gets hurt pretty bad a couple of times during the run and is never portrayed as perfect since at least 2 arcs has him working with the hand.
    And I can't see Naomi as a creator's pet, not yet anyway since she's written by Bendis and with him it's a good possibility it will happen but so far she only has two issues out so it's still way too early to say.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    DC:
    - Duke Thomas
    - Wallace West
    - Naomi

Marvel:
    - Riri Williams
    - Daredevil's "sidekick"

I don't see how Wallace or Duke are creator's pets. Snyder hasn't really done much with Duke and he's never been depicted as being better than other members of the Bat family. Wallace(although his character has improved)has always been depicted as the weakest link of whatever team he is on and has a strained relationship with Barry most of the time. As for Naomi, I haven't seen enough of her yet.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

But also, Sinestro under Johns

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yeah, what WAS it about Sinestro that Johns was so interested in?
    Sinestro went from Cosmic Rat-Bastard/Space Hitler to doomed/star-crossed bromantic partner in one run.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Koko the monkey - just the worst.

But also, Sinestro under Johns
    Dangit. I was gonna use this one.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I don't see how Wallace or Duke are creator's pets. Snyder hasn't really done much with Duke and he's never been depicted as being better than other members of the Bat family. Wallace(although his character has improved)has always been depicted as the weakest link of whatever team he is on and has a strained relationship with Barry most of the time. As for Naomi, I haven't seen enough of her yet.
    I agree with you about Duke and Naomi. Meanwhile, Wallace is a creator's pet in the sense that he's a constant presence in the Flash and Teen Titans books, despite being hated by an overwhelming majority of the fan base. That's what kinda puts him in that position, even though I'm more inclined to call him an editor's pet, due to how he is used and where he is featured.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

For Willamson it’s Godspeed.
    For Scott Snyder it’s the Joker.
    For Tomasi it’s Damian.

I don’t really have a problem with these though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tom Taylor and Injustice Harley.
    This one really burns me. Harley shots Jimmy Olsen in the head, abducts and preforms surgery on Lois, nukes a city, directly kills two cops to try to escape and starts the riot at Arkham which get Nightwing killed. She faces zero repercussions for any of this stuff and becomes a member of the freaking JL at the end of I2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Jurgens seemed to be really into Hank Henshaw Cyborg Superman. I liked the character in Reign and Return, but he’s had diminishing returns since then.
    I feel the same. Wish he’d focus on the other cool characters he’s made like Blanque or Conduit.

Mighty Member

Is there a flip side to creators pet, like degrading someon else's character?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Why not? Most people hate Mary Sues and Gary Stu's--except for their creators and the people they manage to propagandize with the overkill.
    Most people don't even know what a Mary Sue and Gary Stu actually are anymore. Mary Sue/ Gary Stu used to mean perfect character who is always right and loved by everyone, now Mary Sue/ Gary Stu mean character I hate for various reasons,

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This one really burns me. Harley shots Jimmy Olsen in the head, abducts and preforms surgery on Lois, nukes a city, directly kills two cops to try to escape and starts the riot at Arkham which get Nightwing killed. She faces zero repercussions for any of this stuff and becomes a member of the freaking JL at the end of I2.
    "But...But...she's trying to be better! And she doesn't kill! And she's hot and crazy!" - Developers/writers .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I never really "got" the pet character mentality by some fans. I mean, it's a writer's and an artist's job (and role and calling) to create and develop characters. And characterization takes some time.
    True, but characterisation should never come at the expense of others. When it does that's when we have a "pet" character. Take for example Alice from the Resident Evil live-action movies. Or Batman in pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    The whole "pet" character derogatory, contempt thing is just stupid and salty to me.
    How is it "stupid and salty" to be annoyed that beloved characters are being treated like dirt so that another character can look better by comparison?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "But...But...she's trying to be better! And she doesn't kill! And she's hot and crazy!" - Developers/writers .
    What really bothers me is that there are a bunch of other characters who should be retooled into antiheroes but DC is too busy pushing Harley to develop them. But DC always does this, they select the wrong characters to be pushed as antiheroes.

Harley could work as an antihero if DC stopped trying to use the LOL RANDOM AND CRAZY card to justify her antics.