Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Can't believe no-one's mentioned The Weird yet.

Danny Chase the most disliked member of the New Titans by fans within a few issues of his first appearance.

He was a Cousin Oliver (A new character brought in to add some freshness, which generally ruins a show's dynamic. Often this is a cute kid added to a Long Runner where the original child actors have grown into teenagers.) introduced to make the team seem younger, as he was only in his early teens while everyone else was pushing 20.

Despite his age, he constantly argued with the other members of the team, criticized them, was supposed to be a genius superspy teenager with telekinetic powers, but then went crazy with fear whenever an actual fight took place.

And when Dick was distraught at the death of Jason Todd, Danny said it was no big deal because Jason 'knew the risks'. The only people who didn't seem to grasp how loathed this character was was writer Marv Wolfman who, to this day, still insists it was the readers' fault for not "getting the character," and weirdly enough Linkara, who sarcastically calls Danny his favorite superhero ever.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Astonishing Member

Danny Chase is probably one of the foremost examples of Gary Stu-ism, though after his first failing he didn't really get forced into much as a pet character. Wolfman's pet character, if any, is definitely Raven. Dude rehashes a mini series for her every decade it seems like.

The thing about a "pet" character is not that the character is bad. Kitty is a great character but Bendis definitely treated her as his pet character and included her in a lot.
    Last edited by Dred; 03-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    DC:
    - Duke Thomas
    - Wallace West
    - Naomi

Marvel:
    - Riri Williams
    - Daredevil's "sidekick"

These are the only ones that popped up in my head.
    That DC list makes no sense especially Wallace and Naomi. Duke...eh I can see argument but the other two? Nope. Naomi has her own comic so of course she's going to be featured there. Wallace is not even one because no creator favors him more than another.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 03-13-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    That DC list makes no sense especially Wallace and Naomi. Duke...eh I can see argument but the other two? Nope. Naomi has her own comic so of course she's going to be featured there. Wallace is not even one because no creator favors him more than another.
    Fair enough regarding Wallace.
    I definitely disagree regarding the rest.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    I agree with you about Duke and Naomi. Meanwhile, Wallace is a creator's pet in the sense that he's a constant presence in the Flash and Teen Titans books, despite being hated by an overwhelming majority of the fan base. That's what kinda puts him in that position, even though I'm more inclined to call him an editor's pet, due to how he is used and where he is featured.
    He's hasn't shown up in the Flash for a while and his role in TT isn't really that big. He would be. A creator's pet if he overshadowed the other characters but Wallace has no feats.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Danny Chase the most disliked member of the New Titans by fans within a few issues of his first appearance.

He was a Cousin Oliver (A new character brought in to add some freshness, which generally ruins a show's dynamic. Often this is a cute kid added to a Long Runner where the original child actors have grown into teenagers.) introduced to make the team seem younger, as he was only in his early teens while everyone else was pushing 20.

Despite his age, he constantly argued with the other members of the team, criticized them, was supposed to be a genius superspy teenager with telekinetic powers, but then went crazy with fear whenever an actual fight took place.

And when Dick was distraught at the death of Jason Todd, Danny said it was no big deal because Jason 'knew the risks'. The only people who didn't seem to grasp how loathed this character was was writer Marv Wolfman who, to this day, still insists it was the readers' fault for not "getting the character," and weirdly enough Linkara, who sarcastically calls Danny his favorite superhero ever.
    Wolfman is a man of extremely weird taste, he made the Teen Titans a hit but he also made a lot of extremely questionable decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post

Linkara wasn't being sarcastic. He knows why Danny was disliked but he sees the potential in him to be a better character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Danny Chase is probably one of the foremost examples of Gary Stu-ism, though after his first failing he didn't really get forced into much as a pet character. Wolfman's pet character, if any, is definitely Raven. Dude rehashes a mini series for her every decade it seems like.

The thing about a "pet" character is not that the character is bad. Kitty is a great character but Bendis definitely treated her as his pet character and included her in a lot.
    Considering all of the suffering Wolfman put Raven through I always assumed that he low key hated her.

The weird thing is that the current mini series he writes for Raven is actually decent.If Wolfman's name wasn't on the covers I would have assumed that someone else was writing it. NTT Raven always seemed kind of emotionless to me, but in the current mini series she's a snark machine.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The weird thing is that the current mini series he writes for Raven is actually decent.If Wolfman's name wasn't on the covers I would have assumed that someone else was writing it. NTT Raven always seemed kind of emotionless to me, but in the current mini series she's a snark machine.
    In the mini Raven is really more written like the modern incarnation of the character and not like Wolfman wrote her in the classic NTT comics.

Wolfman is a man of extremely weird taste, he made the Teen Titans a hit but he also made a lot of extremely questionable decisions.
    He does love Raven, but I don't think he oversteps and puts her ahead of anyone. As good as his run with Perez was on NTT, it was almost equally as bad towards the end of NT. Honestly, outside of the early NTT and Crisis, he's done a lot of "meh" work to me.

I'm using "creator" as a artist or writer, not the actual person that came up with the character. Tomasi most certainly has Damian as a pet. Red Hood is Lobdell's pet in my opinion as well. Though he's done a pretty good job with Jason overall.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    He does love Raven, but I don't think he oversteps and puts her ahead of anyone. As good as his run with Perez was on NTT, it was almost equally as bad towards the end of NT. Honestly, outside of the early NTT and Crisis, he's done a lot of "meh" work to me.

I'm using "creator" as a artist or writer, not the actual person that came up with the character. Tomasi most certainly has Damian as a pet. Red Hood is Lobdell's pet in my opinion as well. Though he's done a pretty good job with Jason overall.
    Tomasi writes Damian as a (somewhat)lovable ******* to contrast with Jon's innocence. Honestly, Super Sons is probably the only comic where I find Damian kind of likable.

I still can't believe that Lobdell has done such a good job with Jason.

Tomasi writes Damian as a (somewhat)lovable ******* to contrast with Jon's innocence. Honestly, Super Sons is probably the only comic where I find Damian kind of likable.

I still can't believe that Lobdell has done such a good job with Jason.
    Lobdell has always been that kind of writer to me. Some stuff he just straight up misses on. And other stuff like Red Hood, he really nails it.

I also liked what Lobdell did with Bizarro. He really makes you pull for the big guy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Is there a flip side to creators pet, like degrading someon else's character?
    The closest example is Creator's Pest.

And add me to the list of people who ended up hating (or at least starting to hate) Harley in I2. When there are people who did less than what you did but are still treated worse than you, there's a problem (And that goes for Catwoman, too).

Didio is a big example of a Creator's pest because of his strong dislike of First Gen Titans (Dick, Roy, Wally, Donna & Garth) and other legacy characters (Eddie Bloomberg, Cassandra Cain and Steph Brown)

Barbara Gordon as Batgirl in New 52 and beyond is a pet to every writer since they don't wanna use either Cass or Steph as Didio banned them from using them a as Running The Asylum case.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki