Default Harley Quinn - Birds of Prey comics

Apparently, DC will release a series of tie-in comics to the upcoming Birds of Prey movie.

I'm both skeptical and very interested.

Skeptical, because I'm afraid it'll be used to handwave some difficul plot points (like, why is Harley not with the Joker, who came to "rescue" her at the end of Suicide Squad) and I would hate to have to read a comics to understand a movie, when the two mediums are so vastly different (and I don't like the idea of being forced to pursue special comics/series to understand a movie).

But I'm also very interested, because it seems that DC truly is banking hard on this movie to succeed, and is willing to pursue some real push for it to do so, probably thanks to the aura of Harley Quinn, and if it means that Black Canary, Huntress and Cassandra Cain gets more of a spotlight for audiences, I think it could be great for the future - especially if the powers that be realize that this movie is a perfect way to introduce new characters and groom Cass as a future heroine able to have her own movie.

Now, we'll have to see the quality of said comics, of course.

Extraordinary Member

Harley Stealing Barbara signature team is insulting

Wasting the Birds of Prey name for a Harley Quinn movie still is just bizarre and disappointing. I'll never understand that. There was no need to use it as Harley is the sole reason people are going to go see this movie and they didn't need to use the BoP brand for it. Just as long as it had Harley in the title people would go see it if they like this version of Harley.

I don't get the BOP thing either, they could've easily used Gotham Sirens.
    Last edited by 9th.; 03-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Harley Stealing Barbara signature team is insulting
    Honestly, without the Oracle role for her to fill, she's kind of redundant next to Dinah and Helena.

That said, there are few characters with less business being a Bird of Prey than Harley. Get her out of there.

Remember how one of the tie-in's for BvS established Batman didn't kill? Even though, well...y'know .

With that in mind, I'm not putting much stock in a tie-in for this.

They better be relaunching BOP in the current continuity too... even if it's inevitable that it would now star Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I don't get the BOP thing either, they could've easily used Gotham Sirens.
    The initial rumours had it that Margot Robbie had hired a female writer to write a script featuring Harley teaming up up with any of DC's iconic girl gangs (the writer chose BOP) and David Ayer had a female writer script a Gotham City Sirens movie specifically. Apparently WB execs decided that the Birds of Prey script was superior to the Sirens one.

I think the publishing comes from two parts: one is that DC has finally realised that they need lots of trades available for sale when the movie comes out (WW trades apparently sold like hotcakes right after the movie release, and as far as I understand DC wasn't ready for the demand), and that DC also realised they don't have much Birds of Prey product available, and in most of it there is no Harley Quinn at all.

I'm a little surprised they mention Suicide Squad in the blurb; my understanding was that the Marc Gunn's The Suicide Squad and the rest of the DCEU movies under production are working as hard as possible to decouple themselves from the first set of movies.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

LoL, shocking. Please someone tell me again how important Oracle was.

I wonder how something like this will work
    Is this just collecting a bunch of stories where these characters are featured together(apart from injustice Harley has maybe 1 or 2 appearances in the BOP title)
    Or is DC producing new content to go in this anthology.

It's the right time for a cash grab though

Let me guess,
    reprints?

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Let me guess,
    reprints?
    I don't think all will be reprints. Some perhaps, but I expect at least some movie synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't think all will be reprints. Some perhaps, but I expect at least some movie synergy.
    hmm, not sure how I'll feel about that.