Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Default Creator's Pet

Based of dreyga2000's Rescue from Scrappy Heap post and post this on the Marvel board since i post one in DC Comics section

When the audience hates this character, but the creator loves him/her and gives him/her more focus, engages in Character Shilling, etc. This usually makes the character even more hated. (ie. Felicity Smoak in Arrow, Sasuke Uchiha in Naruto)

Red Hulk/Rulk under Jeph Loeb's pen dear Lord... shortly after being introduced he beat odin-forced Thor with his own hammer, punched out the Watcher, killed the Grandmaster (who is immortal), casually killed off the whole Defenders (including the Silver Surfer!) and much more. Luckily, he got depowered when Parker took over, and every hero that has been beaten by him before returned to return the favor in some very satisfying ways. Thunderbolt Ross got later depoweres Post-No Surrender

The entire faction of The Inhumans was seen as this for a good while. For most of their history, they had been an inoffensive corner of Marvel's cosmic stable, but between about 2012 and 2018, mainly under the direction of Ike Perlmutter, Marvel attempted to push them as the next big thing and a replacement for the X-Men as act of devaluing the IP. However, the Inhumans have always been at best morally grey and more suited as supporting characters than ongoing protagonists, which meant the attempt to retool them as straightforward heroes couldn't be more of a square peg in a round hole. There were even attempts to treat them as the victims of Fantastic Racism - and as this is something the X-Men struggle with on their best day, a race of isolationist nobles who are only superpowered by choice never really had a chance with making it work. Pretty much every other event involved the Inhumans heavily, every other new character was an Inhuman or got retconned as one, and invariably, the only ones to have any success (mainly Ms. Marvel) were the ones to have basically no connection to the overall franchise. It certainly didn't help that the writers and editors had the bright idea to try to stoke the fires of the Fandom Rivalry by placing the Inhumans frequently in opposition to the X-Men (including the idiotic reveal that the Terrigen Mists kill or sterilize mutants). The period ended with the double-bill Franchise Killer of Disney acquisition of Fox and the TV series bombing hard, at which even Perlmutter could no longer deny their lack of value as a going franchise.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Extraordinary Member

Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart. Did I mention Steve Englehart and Mantis?

But I think it's too broad to say that the audience hates a character. Mantis wasn't hated during Englehart's Avengers run, though she was not as popular as Englehart believed her to be. It's just that he could not stop making her the best at everything, having her beat up other characters to show how much better she was than them, and making her the focus of stories that weren't about her. It was being a creator's pet that eventually turned her into a hated character, not vice versa.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Bendis and Luke Cage/Jessica Drew spring to mind.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Warren Ellis with Pete Wisdom

Jason Aaron and Quentin Quire.

Kitty Pryde under Chris Claremont's pen. No question
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Kitty Pryde under Chris Claremont's pen. No question
    Amen to this. Ten characters.

BANNED

Jim Starlin and thanos

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart. Did I mention Steve Englehart and Mantis?

But I think it's too broad to say that the audience hates a character. Mantis wasn't hated during Englehart's Avengers run, though she was not as popular as Englehart believed her to be. It's just that he could not stop making her the best at everything, having her beat up other characters to show how much better she was than them, and making her the focus of stories that weren't about her. It was being a creator's pet that eventually turned her into a hated character, not vice versa.
    LOL. I thought I was the only one who hated Mantis. I did read in a book a while back that even the other writers at Marvel at that time hated Mantis. I think it was Ronin Ro's book about the early days of Marvel called Tales to Astonish.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-10-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Even if you loved the character from day 1 I think it would be hard to deny Riri was a pretty big example of this under Bendis' pen, with completely taking over the book after being introduced in a few pages in previous issues and with far too many instances of other characters telling her how amazing she is.

Glob Herman with Brisson.

Arguably Deadpool, Eddie Brock, and Carnage have been getting a creator pet treatment for ages.

Arrow

Doc Ock under Slott's pen (although I like what he did the character is obviously his favorite and this divided the fanbase).

Boomerang under Spencer's pen (the same thing is starting to happen with Boomerang under Spencer).
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Even if you loved the character from day 1 I think it would be hard to deny Riri was a pretty big example of this under Bendis' pen, with completely taking over the book after being introduced in a few pages in previous issues and with far too many instances of other characters telling her how amazing she is.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Riri is a poster child for this sort of thing (although I do think the character has great potential), IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

iMan 42s

Definitely Riri Williams under Bendis.

She can build an Iron man suit in her garage! Which gets her A.I Tony Stark, which makes her a superhero, which makes her able to fix Latveria, which gets her sent to the future to get told how awesome she is.She was the absolute worst. The Bendis run was all kinds of bad.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.