Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Kitty Pryde for Bendis
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart Englehart Mantis Mantis Englehart. Did I mention Steve Englehart and Mantis?

But I think it's too broad to say that the audience hates a character. Mantis wasn't hated during Englehart's Avengers run, though she was not as popular as Englehart believed her to be. It's just that he could not stop making her the best at everything, having her beat up other characters to show how much better she was than them, and making her the focus of stories that weren't about her. It was being a creator's pet that eventually turned her into a hated character, not vice versa.
    Oh dear gawd Englehart's blatant Oriental fetish. And I struggled through the book that supposedly resolve's the abandoned Celestial Madonna arc and everyone acted like they're in a soap opera and it legit gave me a headache.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Mantis under Englehart, Rulk under Loeb and Thanos under Starlin are probably the most well-known examples. I'd add Storm under Claremont and Wolverine under Aaron (more in WatXM than in his solo, actually)

Mighty Member

Does X-23 under Kyle and Yost count? I'm sure one of them called himself a defensive parent when it came to her.

Mighty Member

Is there a flip side to creator's pet, like kicking someone else's creation?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Bendis seemed to always favor Iron Man, too.

Kate Bishop. Just read Avengers No Road Home #5. Is it a Mighty Marvel Mandate that this character appear everywhere Hawkeye appears and have everyone say how wonderful she is and how much a better Hawkeye she is?

Does she have a movie deal? She has to have a movie deal right?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Kitty Pryde under Guggenheim.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Let's be real. Kitty Pryde is the pet character of almost everyone who uses her. I can see why, I definitely enjoy the character but it's typically she either has little to no presence or she's given an absurd amount of page time.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Yeah and Kitty Pryde was also a pet to Bendis in Ultimate Spider-Man (by making her a suspicious substitute of Felicia Hardy), All New X-Men and Guardians of The Galaxy (by pairing her with Peter f*cking Quill of all people).

Nurse Annie Ghazikhanian by the universally loathed "writer" Chuck Austen (The Tommy Wiseau of the comic books) introduced the single mother/apparent expert in mutant physiology shortly into his equally despised run on X-Men. Word of God stated she was based on Austen's real-life wife, never a good start. He quickly made her the inane central character in many of his story lines.

Quentin Quire is the epitome of this to Marvel's insistence as they still shoving this guy on everybody's throats on appearing as a member of the West Coast Avengers because of Marvel's Executive Meddling because they off limited Thompson to use Shulkie because Aaron was using her first. All of this, despite being largely loathed by vocal aspects of fandom. Every writer tends to have one kid they push, and usually it works. This case, however, it most certainly has not, and isn't helped by his continued use.

X-23 under anybody either is Craig Kyle and Chris Yost. Also Gabby under Tom Taylor doesn't help either. Glob Herman like Quire and Riri, another character shoved everybody's throats because Marvel's insistence of using him X-Men and other Marvel Books because they had a dislike towards the New X-Men cast by relegating an afterthought and stuffed Loa and Blindspot to the fridge.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Extraordinary Member

I'll also add the Vision for Roy Thomas. If you look at the original Avengers run, it's pretty shameless how often Vision saves the day, is referred to as the most powerful Avenger of all, the Scarlet Witch falls in love with him... in Thomas's last issue of the Avengers ongoing, when the Scarlet Witch is captured by Sentinels, Vision destroys two Sentinels while Cap, Iron Man and Thor just stand around and watch.

Now, why isn't that usually cited as an example of a Creator's Pet? Because the Vision was popular, with readers and (maybe more importantly) with the writers who inherited the character from Thomas. So it doesn't feel like he's being pushed as hard as the others, but that's mostly because the push worked. Usually when a creator pushes a character like that, other writers don't want to use them after they leave.

Mighty Member

Does Mandrill count? It seems at the time (the 70's) he was supposed to be a big deal, even having The Silver Samurai as a flunky (?) I can't even remember how he managed to take over the White House.

A lot of people mentioning Bendis but I don't see people bringing up him with The Hood. The guy was his go-to villain for multiple books he wrote.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Roger Stern and Monica Rambeau?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Kate Bishop. Just read Avengers No Road Home #5. Is it a Mighty Marvel Mandate that this character appear everywhere Hawkeye appears and have everyone say how wonderful she is and how much a better Hawkeye she is?

Does she have a movie deal? She has to have a movie deal right?
    One day you'll accept Kate Bishop as your lord and savior. You gotta stop fighting it.