Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Bendis seemed to always favor Iron Man, too.
    This here, Bendis always had Tony at the center of his Avengers which made it obivous he really favored the character. This is what made me hopeful when he took over the book. He does the adoption angle he had been wanting to do since Gillen was writing and then he just drops Tony for his new pet. It felt so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    This here, Bendis always had Tony at the center of his Avengers which made it obivous he really favored the character. This is what made me hopeful when he took over the book. He does the adoption angle he had been wanting to do since Gillen was writing and then he just drops Tony for his new pet. It felt so weird.
    It's the standard formula for trying to build up a legacy character. If you have a legacy character around with the original, they end up being more a side kick. But if characters like Sam or Jane are on their own for a bit, they can often end up more a Nightwing than a Robin, if that makes sense. It sucks that the original is written out if you're a fan, but it's always a temporary thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's the standard formula for trying to build up a legacy character. If you have a legacy character around with the original, they end up being more a side kick. But if characters like Sam or Jane are on their own for a bit, they can often end up more a Nightwing than a Robin, if that makes sense. It sucks that the original is written out if you're a fan, but it's always a temporary thing.
    I think part of the problem with Riri's introduction is Bendis hyped up his Iron Man run and putting Tony in this "flagship" role...and then basically replaces him five minutes into the thing.

At least in the case of Sam and Jane they were long-term supporting characters (if not as frequently in Jane's case) even if they abruptly suddenly got successor stories.

Carol sadly fell this when Marvel insistently like to shove on her on everybody mouth's by completly shilling her by incosistent writers as she became overpushed at the levels of Harley Quinn and Wolverine.

Silk under Dan Slott's pen was insufferable by having retcon Peter's original backstory and was once of the lowest parts of SpiderVerse (giving her too much attention over Mayday Parker, Noir, Supaidaman and others) until Robbie Thompson saved her away from Slott (thank goodness)

Punisher under Garth Ennis.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think part of the problem with Riri's introduction is Bendis hyped up his Iron Man run and putting Tony in this "flagship" role...and then basically replaces him five minutes into the thing.

At least in the case of Sam and Jane they were long-term supporting characters (if not as frequently in Jane's case) even if they abruptly suddenly got successor stories.
    There was definitely a big disconnect between the way Editorial/Marketing would pitch Bendis' books at the time, and what Bendis was actually delivering. Like how Tony, during that period, was supposed to be "broke" and yet Bendis still had him doing these international missions. Or how the Spider Office pitched Miles as being the "friendly neighborhood Spider" in contrast to Slott's run going large scale with Parker Industries and the very first arc of Miles run had Blackheart as the antagonist.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

In general, I don't really have a problem with writers having pet characters. It's one of the only ways minor characters with promise can rise to prominence. Bendis did wonders for prominence of Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    In general, I don't really have a problem with writers having pet characters. It's one of the only ways minor characters with promise can rise to prominence. Bendis did wonders for prominence of Jessica Drew, Luke Cage, etc.
    There's a line between liking and using a character more because of it, and using a character to the point that the fanbase begins to hate them and the title becomes misleading.

Mighty Member

Amadeus Cho as "the Totally awesome Hulk" under Greg Park. And it's a pity because as Mastermind excello, he was a great character.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

how can you be the pet character of your own book
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    There was definitely a big disconnect between the way Editorial/Marketing would pitch Bendis' books at the time, and what Bendis was actually delivering. Like how Tony, during that period, was supposed to be "broke" and yet Bendis still had him doing these international missions. Or how the Spider Office pitched Miles as being the "friendly neighborhood Spider" in contrast to Slott's run going large scale with Parker Industries and the very first arc of Miles run had Blackheart as the antagonist.
    Marvel marketing has always been kind of off-base when it comes to content.

Like whenever they advertise something as "back-to-basics" and it usually isn't actually back-to-basics .

Although I think it was editorial that had Bendis rush his plans for Riri faster then he had intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Apparently people are operating on the premise that a pet character is a character they don't like being portrayed as successful. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Although I think it was editorial that had Bendis rush his plans for Riri faster then he had intended.
    I think Bendis was planning Riri from day one, but not Civil War II. When he launched Iron Man he was talking about wanting to do a years long uninterrupted run with Marquez, and then like five issues later Marquez had been shifted onto CWII. I bet she was supposed to be a lot more of a slow burn than she ended up being.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 06-21-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    You can't, though you can be a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, or simply insufferable, which, yes, Cho was under Pak. He got better under other writers, though.

Al Ewing and Immortal Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by doomeye56 View Post
    I see people say this and it's just not true. Tony was the main player in the first 2 arcs of Avengers with Bendis and Romita Jr. 2 arcs was it. People make it sound like it was always Tony and no other characters got to shine which is false to say the least. He just wrote Tony for a long time.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You can't, though you can be a Mary Sue/Gary Stu, or simply insufferable, which, yes, Cho was under Pak. He got better under other writers, though.
    The main antagonist of Ammy's Hulk run was Ammy's pride, and the only throughline of the book was his continued character deconstruction. Cho is Pak's baby, certainly, but he's done a lot to expose his flaws and have him **** up because of them.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate