Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think it's hard to find to find characters that strictly fit the definition of this because really, they should be created by and pushed by the same person. I would say Jessica Jones under Bendis sort of counts, but her own series aren't successive displays of impressive feats so much as they are about her life being mostly shitty, and even when she joined the Avengers, I don't feel like she got to do that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Aging up characters who are associated with a group of similar ages characters will never not be stupid because then it just raises the question of why there’s suddenly an age gap between characters who used to be peers. Like at this point, they’re expecting us to believe it’s been 5 years since the Young Avengers appeared despite the others being 18. Something similar is happening with X-23 who they declared to be 20 despite the fact that her fellow Young X-Men are students. It’s just a mess.
    Kate never really seemed like she was exactly the same age as the other Young Avengers since the moment she was introduced in Heinberg's run. She was a bridesmaid at someone's wedding, it made her seem more 17-18 than 15-16 like the others. Gillen's justification for making her 21 in his YA was that she seemed older than the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    not with that lame origin story. i'm totally good with Clint having a protoge. i'd prefer that it be a female archer. but good lord they didn't even try to make her backstory interesting. am i really supposed to see her dad as someone who is on the level of Kingpin or even Hammerhead? because he's even boring in appearance. her vampire mother is only somewhat more interesting because she has fangs.
    What's wrong with her origin story?

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Kate never really seemed like she was exactly the same age as the other Young Avengers since the moment she was introduced in Heinberg's run. She was a bridesmaid at someone's wedding, it made her seem more 17-18 than 15-16 like the others. Gillen's justification for making her 21 in his YA was that she seemed older than the rest of the team.
    The problem with that is that it falls under quite a bit of assumption. Being a bridesmaid isn’t really an age thing, but a matter of closeness and trust from the bride. It’s not as though they presented her as being a college student or something of the like. Really the only Young Avenger who was said to have a real age gap from the others is Cassie, whose best friend status with Kate feels all the more strange when you work under the assumption that Kate was significantly older than all the others.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    has anyone brought up Sentry? Just curious if he fit the term "creator's Pet" or not.
    I always thought that the Sentry shilling was just to set up the Void storyline. Of course that could just be hindsight.

He’s basically a modern version of Miracleman.

Spectacular Member

I know he wasn't the creator but if Bendis were any more obsessed with Luke Cage it would have bordered on stalking. It was even joked during a letters page when creators were asked whom they would go on a date with. One particular response was, "If Bendis says anybody but Luke Cage he is lying." Everywhere you turned during the Bendis Avengers run you had Luke popping out of the woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    I know he wasn't the creator but if Bendis were any more obsessed with Luke Cage it would have bordered on stalking. It was even joked during a letters page when creators were asked whom they would go on a date with. One particular response was, "If Bendis says anybody but Luke Cage he is lying." Everywhere you turned during the Bendis Avengers run you had Luke popping out of the woodwork
    Well if there is one good thing to have come of it, it definitely boosted Luke Cage’s notoriety in the MU to the point that we consistently see him used even with Bendis gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The problem with that is that it falls under quite a bit of assumption. Being a bridesmaid isn’t really an age thing, but a matter of closeness and trust from the bride. It’s not as though they presented her as being a college student or something of the like. Really the only Young Avenger who was said to have a real age gap from the others is Cassie, whose best friend status with Kate feels all the more strange when you work under the assumption that Kate was significantly older than all the others.
    Yeah, it was her sister's wedding. I think that's enough of a justification for her to be a bridesmaid.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    Cage would count.

Especially if you look at how little he was used in the 90s versus early 2000s-now.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Pak's Hulk. Bendis with Miles Morales, Luke Cage, Tony Stark, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams, and Kitty Pryde. Loeb with Red Hulk.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Jane Foster as Thor under Jason Aaron's pen as you know one of the reasons i legit quit reading Thor when Jason Aaron took over and his shilling and writing of Jane is absolutely dreadful and complete garbage at the same time.

Tempus, another character created by Bendis got more spotlight in the 2013 Uncanny X-Men, where she defeated the Avengers and gave a suspiciously meta "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Cyclops (who was on the Rightclops period kick at the time). Except many found her amazingly overpowered, her personality flat and Bendis' random (and misused) insertions of Australian slang to be awkward. While some readers liked Tempus despite (or occasionally even because of) these things, following the book's end she was shunted into the Limbo catering and has not been seen since.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Pak's Hulk. Bendis with Miles Morales, Luke Cage, Tony Stark, Jessica Jones, Riri Williams, and Kitty Pryde. Loeb with Red Hulk.
    You forgot Bendis and The Hood
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Bendis seemed to always favor Iron Man, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    How was Tony Stark a pet character of Bendis? He wrote him a bit as he had a long run on Avengers, but he never made him favored over anyone?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    not with that lame origin story. i'm totally good with Clint having a protoge. i'd prefer that it be a female archer. but good lord they didn't even try to make her backstory interesting. am i really supposed to see her dad as someone who is on the level of Kingpin or even Hammerhead? because he's even boring in appearance. her vampire mother is only somewhat more interesting because she has fangs.

Seriously, what's wrong with Kate Bishop's origin?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Jane Foster as Thor under Jason Aaron's pen as you know one of the reasons i legit quit reading Thor when Jason Aaron took over and his shilling and writing of Jane is absolutely dreadful and complete garbage at the same time.

Tempus, another character created by Bendis got more spotlight in the 2013 Uncanny X-Men, where she defeated the Avengers and gave a suspiciously meta "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Cyclops (who was on the Rightclops period kick at the time). Except many found her amazingly overpowered, her personality flat and Bendis' random (and misused) insertions of Australian slang to be awkward. While some readers liked Tempus despite (or occasionally even because of) these things, following the book's end she was shunted into the Limbo catering and has not been seen since.
    Actually she appeared in X-Men Disassembled being among the X-Men who answered Jean's call. How her OP ass didn't end the whole conflict with the fact that she can manipulate time itself just raises more questions then there will ever be logical answers to.

Since we've moved past just 'creators pets'

People have mentioned Bendis (Luke Cage, Jessica Drew, Kitty)
    Aaron does this as well (Jane Thor and Wolverine)
    Lots of writers did this with Emma in the 2000s.