Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Definitely Riri Williams under Bendis.

She can build an Iron man suit in her garage! Which gets her A.I Tony Stark, which makes her a superhero, which makes her able to fix Latveria, which gets her sent to the future to get told how awesome she is.She was the absolute worst. The Bendis run was all kinds of bad.
    And then in Civil War II where all the young heroes become impressed by her even though...she was never shown actually doing anything during the big battle other then flying around (and why was she even there to begin with?).

jason's pet character is the orb

nick's is taskmaster
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

The Phoenix since AvX. No More Phoenix? You wish. We get Phoenix Cyclops again, Phoenix Thane, Teen Jean's Phoenix angst, Phoenix Resurrection starring Jean Grey, Phoenix Resurrection starring Cyclops.

Hell, why not throw every adaptation who treats Jean less as a character and more as the Phoenix skin bag.

Jubilee of X-Men.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Warren Ellis with Pete Wisdom
    I remember when they brought Pete to X-force and they had the team talking about how he was the one that had really showed them they could be "something more".

Keep in mind, between being X-force and New mutants the team had been around for about 200 issues and had been led by Cable, Xavier, and Magneto at various points, but no. Wisdom was the one who really gave them direction.

I hate that run of X-force sooo much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And then in Civil War II where all the young heroes become impressed by her even though...she was never shown actually doing anything during the big battle other then flying around (and why was she even there to begin with?).
    You know, it's kinda surprising she wasn't invited to join the Champions when they first launched. She didn't join until issue 16, and I wonder if Waid only added her because she was about to lose the Iron Man book (there's no way he was just setting up for Zub - he added several more members who vanished when Zub took over and only returned on January's relaunch).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

You notice Riri but not Jessica Jones? He gave her Luke Cage as a husband, Carol Danvers as a best friend, a past with Clay Quartermain, and Avengers mansion.

Arcade was major Creator's Pet of Dennis Hopeless in Avenger Arena/Undercover because as a villain who smarted everybody from the Marvel Universe to have his sick game run for a month without anybody noticing, when in reality his plan worked only because everybody who could stop him had either been handed the Idiot Ball or been written as uncaring jerks. We're supposed to see him as a clever mastermind who manipulated the cast into fighting each other to death for his amusement, when in reality he needs to make one ham-fisted interference after another to try make the kids play his game, clearly showing he didn't think his plan through. Furthermore, with three exceptions, two of which don't really count anyway (Apex, who was already playing without his push, and X-23, whom he can get to play if he sprays everybody with Trigger Scent, that sets her into state of uncontrollable rage, which cannot be counted as playing on her own will), all of them failed. In the last arc, when everybody starts fighting each other, Arcade claims he broke the kids, and we're supposed to see him as right. There's only one that has been lead naturally to the point where he has understandable reasons to try to kill somebody else (Aiden trying to avenge Nara). Others not only don't have one, but one of them (Nico Minoru) experienced things that make her suddenly trying to kill others make no sense whatsoever (she died and came back to life to save the same people she now suddenly tries to kill).

It also happens after Arcade rants in defense of making the game last thirty days, which looks like Dennis Hopeless putting words in his mouth in defense of a commonly criticized plot point.

And the reason Arcade got his comeuppance in Secret Wars 2015 by having ended up killed by every single one of the Spirits of Vengeance, reducing him to a bloody stain on the ground. Needless to say, it was very cathartic to watch.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Carlie Cooper was this to Joe Quesada (naming the character after his daughter) especially with Quesada shilled her to everybody and despite how much the readers hated Carlie, Quesada was so hellbent on setting her up to be Spidey's true love that even Mary Jane herself was supporting her on Quesada's behalf until Slott put the character on the limbo. Even after they broke up, fans don't like how Carlie was inorganically given major plot developments (such as knowing Peter's identity) that many felt was unearned for a character coming in after more than 40 years of continuity where that status was previously given for popular well-written tried and tested proven characters. Sympathetic fans felt she should have been benched and allowed the present ruckus to die down before later writers revisit her and develop her more. Instead, she's become a semi-regular fixture and for future stories and drama even in Nick Spencer's run with many taking offense at how in Superior Spider-Man, she is the first person to figure out that Peter was obviously acting incredibly out of character instead of many of his other loved ones who have known Peter for way longer than her (Mary Jane and Aunt May for instance).
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Warren Ellis with Pete Wisdom
    I think Warren Ellis did a great job with Pete Wisdom. I maybe a bit biased as Warren is my favorite writer and Wisdom one of my all time favorite characters. He didn’t force him down your throat.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    Arcade was major Creator's Pet of Dennis Hopeless in Avenger Arena/Undercover because as a villain who smarted everybody from the Marvel Universe to have his sick game run for a month without anybody noticing, when in reality his plan worked only because everybody who could stop him had either been handed the Idiot Ball or been written as uncaring jerks. We're supposed to see him as a clever mastermind who manipulated the cast into fighting each other to death for his amusement, when in reality he needs to make one ham-fisted interference after another to try make the kids play his game, clearly showing he didn't think his plan through. Furthermore, with three exceptions, two of which don't really count anyway (Apex, who was already playing without his push, and X-23, whom he can get to play if he sprays everybody with Trigger Scent, that sets her into state of uncontrollable rage, which cannot be counted as playing on her own will), all of them failed. In the last arc, when everybody starts fighting each other, Arcade claims he broke the kids, and we're supposed to see him as right. There's only one that has been lead naturally to the point where he has understandable reasons to try to kill somebody else (Aiden trying to avenge Nara). Others not only don't have one, but one of them (Nico Minoru) experienced things that make her suddenly trying to kill others make no sense whatsoever (she died and came back to life to save the same people she now suddenly tries to kill).

It also happens after Arcade rants in defense of making the game last thirty days, which looks like Dennis Hopeless putting words in his mouth in defense of a commonly criticized plot point.

And the reason Arcade got his comeuppance in Secret Wars 2015 by having ended up killed by every single one of the Spirits of Vengeance, reducing him to a bloody stain on the ground. Needless to say, it was very cathartic to watch.
    Hmmm. I saw it differently. I thought that Arcade was portrayed as a complete loser who only became a threat due to Miss Coriander's patronage.

Jim Starlin's Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember when they brought Pete to X-force and they had the team talking about how he was the one that had really showed them they could be "something more".

Keep in mind, between being X-force and New mutants the team had been around for about 200 issues and had been led by Cable, Xavier, and Magneto at various points, but no. Wisdom was the one who really gave them direction.

I hate that run of X-force sooo much.
    More to the point: the 'Roadtrip' phase and beyond were all about showing the team growing beyond the need for an older guardian to boss them around. They left Cable behind willingly because they'd outgrown him, and subsequently the leader role was shifted between Siryn, Cannonball and Moonstar. And those were pretty good comics!

But NOPE SORRY IT'S COUNTER-X TIME and Sam's all, "Y'know how we ditched Cable and decided it was for the best? Now what we REALLY need is an older guy with questionable morals, a shady past he won't tell us about and worrying underworld connections telling us what to do."

Face. Palm. Connect.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Greg Pak's Hulk.
    He was not only the strongest, he was also the smartest and the rightest.
    Pak even had to bring Umar in his stories to repair Hulk's humiliation from DeMatteis' Defenders.

Jason Aaron's Wolverine and Quentin Quire.

Jim Starlin's Thanos. I recently read the 2003 series and it was embarassing. I heard it even got worse in his recent Thanos miniseries.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The sad part about it is that you'd probably like the characters -- or at worst, be neutral -- without all of the fluffing going on, but the creators can't help themselves and you can't help hating their pets as a result.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin