Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Creator's Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    A lot of people mentioning Bendis but I don't see people bringing up him with The Hood. The guy was his go-to villain for multiple books he wrote.
    There were a few characters Bendis kept bringing back even though other writers didn't really care about them.

Lucia Von Bardas was another one.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Hmmm. I saw it differently. I thought that Arcade was portrayed as a complete loser who only became a threat due to Miss Coriander's patronage.
    That was my impression. He'd been banging around for *years,* creating these 'murderworld' theme parks that must have cost billions to build, kidnapping his targets with ease, transporting them to the murderpark, and then utterly failing to kill them, for a cool million a pop. It was a financially unsound investment, and the definition of insanity, to keep doing the same thing that has failed every time before. He'd failed to kill the X-Men, he'd failed to kill X-Factor, he'd failed to kill Spider-Man, he'd even failed to kill such blink-and-you-missed-them characters as Nomad (no, the other one) and Toro (no, the other one), when he took on the Young Allies! What a resume of suck!

So Battle Royale/The Hunger Games/Avengers Arena was a send up of what a loser he was (and made it all the more shocking when he actually killed someone, since being killed by Arcade is the superhero equivalent of slipping in the shower and breaking your neck), because it was only Miss Coriander that gave him a shot at legitimacy.

Greg Paks Hulk. He went out of his way to state power levels , quantifing feats in Hulks favour. He made the lvl of pis/cis look like bad fan fiction.

taps mic to test if its on ...

Bendis. Everything Bendis.

EDIT: seriously though. Its his writing style. He latches onto his focus then uses them for his run regardless of guest characters introduced. He has a story-driven style that is take no prisoners with any guest appearance that will make him appear to be playing favorites. Really hes just trying to get to story element x.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 03-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Jane Foster under Aaron. We never did get an explanation on her worthiness or why she was so much better with Mjoulnir than Thor, all of Asgard outside of Odin and his brother (who were presented as in the wrong the whole time) instantly accepted her and Thor gave her his own name denying it himself because he wasn’t worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    One day you'll accept Kate Bishop as your lord and savior. You gotta stop fighting it.
    not with that lame origin story. i'm totally good with Clint having a protoge. i'd prefer that it be a female archer. but good lord they didn't even try to make her backstory interesting. am i really supposed to see her dad as someone who is on the level of Kingpin or even Hammerhead? because he's even boring in appearance. her vampire mother is only somewhat more interesting because she has fangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    not with that lame origin story. i'm totally good with Clint having a protoge. i'd prefer that it be a female archer. but good lord they didn't even try to make her backstory interesting. am i really supposed to see her dad as someone who is on the level of Kingpin or even Hammerhead? because he's even boring in appearance. her vampire mother is only somewhat more interesting because she has fangs.
    Speaking of Kate, where did the meme that she’s the real and better Hawkeye even come from? Clint’s never been a slouch and he was the one who trained her, even showing her up as recently as Dark Reign though still acknowledging her as deserving of the name. So how is it that she’s become the “real” Hawkeye and Clint basically a joke?

has anyone brought up Sentry? Just curious if he fit the term "creator's Pet" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Speaking of Kate, where did the meme that she’s the real and better Hawkeye even come from? Clint’s never been a slouch and he was the one who trained her, even showing her up as recently as Dark Reign though still acknowledging her as deserving of the name. So how is it that she’s become the “real” Hawkeye and Clint basically a joke?
    I think it was around the time Fraction and Gillen got their hands on her.

Which is around the same time her entire personality disappeared and she became a different character. Also when she got aged up out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    has anyone brought up Sentry? Just curious if he fit the term "creator's Pet" or not.
    Generally accusations of Creator's pet are painted by some bias against the character, but Jenkins talked about Bob like he was the second coming of Jesus Christ, actually best friends with the First Family, had low key banged every woman of significance, and had the power to sweep across the planet just solving every crisis there is. He is probably more guilty of this with Sentry than anyone else with anyone.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I think it was around the time Fraction and Gillen got their hands on her.

Which is around the same time her entire personality disappeared and she became a different character. Also when she got aged up out of nowhere.
    It was also around that time that she got that terrible costume she wears now that doesn’t hold a candle to her old one. Though remind me, has she been presented as 21 since the end of Gillan’s Young Avengers or has that been ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It was also around that time that she got that terrible costume she wears now that doesn’t hold a candle to her old one. Though remind me, has she been presented as 21 since the end of Gillan’s Young Avengers or has that been ignored?
    Fraction and Thompson definitely portrayed her as being in her early 20's and a legal adult.

I mean, she even has a criminal record and everything .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Fraction and Thompson definitely portrayed her as being in her early 20's and a legal adult.

I mean, she even has a criminal record and everything .
    Aging up characters who are associated with a group of similar ages characters will never not be stupid because then it just raises the question of why there’s suddenly an age gap between characters who used to be peers. Like at this point, they’re expecting us to believe it’s been 5 years since the Young Avengers appeared despite the others being 18. Something similar is happening with X-23 who they declared to be 20 despite the fact that her fellow Young X-Men are students. It’s just a mess.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Kate Bishop. Just read Avengers No Road Home #5. Is it a Mighty Marvel Mandate that this character appear everywhere Hawkeye appears and have everyone say how wonderful she is and how much a better Hawkeye she is?

Does she have a movie deal? She has to have a movie deal right?
    Oh man, totally agree with this. Everyone praised the Hawkeye series with both of them but I couldn't stand it. Why can't she get her own monniker? She doesn't deserve to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh man, totally agree with this. Everyone praised the Hawkeye series with both of them but I couldn't stand it. Why can't she get her own monniker? She doesn't deserve to have it.
    I’d say that she’s earned the moniker but the Kate wank at the expense of Clint does get grating even if it’s just meant to be tongue in cheek. It’s like a joke that’s told too much, too frequently.