Mighty Member

Default Clark Kent's "knowing" wink

I don't remember him doing this much in the comics, but he did it all the time in the 1966 cartoon series. Jimmy Olsen even asked if he had something in his eye in one episode.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's more prevalent pre-crises, primarily in the Silver Age but I recall it in bronze age stories too from time to time.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You mean the sly wink at like, the end of a story?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    You mean the sly wink at like, the end of a story?
    That's how I interpreted it.

You know, he does it at the end of the Final issue of Super Sons.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I, for one, am not a fan. I mean, a fictional character breaking the fourth wall? Ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I, for one, am not a fan. I mean, a fictional character breaking the fourth wall? Ridiculous
    Next you'll tell me you hate Jor-El finding time to build a rocket for the dog after his son's, but not one for his wife.

Preposterous!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Preposterous!
    Agreed! The whole idea is just silly. Not like Batman. He's realistic!

By the way, the always wonderful Brian Cronin did a column about the history of Superman winking at the reader recently.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-clark-k...nk-audience/2/

Well worth reading, as are all of Brian's articles.

Mighty Member

Any other DC heroes breaking the fourth wall with a wink in the silver age?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Next you'll tell me you hate Jor-El finding time to build a rocket for the dog after his son's, but not one for his wife.

Preposterous!

Well, to be fair, the Krypto rocket was for testing purposes to see if one would actually work. The rocket Kal-El was sent off in WAS big enough for Kal and Lara, but she wanted to stay behind with Jor-El.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

In my headcanon, Superman has a hyperdimensional awareness and knows his adventures are being read about. He knows about the comic books throughout the multiverse depicting his adventures and knowingly winks to inspire hope and send greetings to anyone who may be out there enjoying the never ending battle. I actually don't think my headcanon is too far off from the truth.

Retired

He's winking to himself. When Superman travels through time within his own lifetime, he becomes an invisible phantom. So he knows his other self is there, watching. As well, there are other time travellers spying on Superman and there are several phantoms in another zone (including his "brother") and magical imps in other dimenstions.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    In my headcanon, Superman has a hyperdimensional awareness and knows his adventures are being read about. He knows about the comic books throughout the multiverse depicting his adventures and knowingly winks to inspire hope and send greetings to anyone who may be out there enjoying the never ending battle. I actually don't think my headcanon is too far off from the truth.
    I'm of the same thinking. His life is real to him, but he's aware of existence on such a higher level that he knows he's also a fictional character on another plane of reality that people enjoy as entertainment. So, every once and awhile, he'll give us a wink or a look to let us know he sees us and thinks all this is pretty awesome, too.

Amazing Member

George Reeves used to wink at the camera a lot. I don't know if the winking originated on the screen or in the books.