Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Retired

Well, heaven forbid that characters should actually change their clothes, based on what activity they're involved in. Being a cat burglar is only one of the things that Catwoman sometimes does. When she's running a whole criminal empire or going out on dates with the Batman, she needs to dress for the occasion.

Talia seems to have the luxury of dressing up or dressing down and no one complains.

It's interesting how many classic villains wore a combo of green and purple. I have some theories why that ended up being the colours of choice for costumed crooks, but Catwoman was in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, heaven forbid that characters should actually change their clothes, based on what activity they're involved in. Being a cat burglar is only one of the things that Catwoman sometimes does. When she's running a whole criminal empire or going out on dates with the Batman, she needs to dress for the occasion.

Talia seems to have the luxury of dressing up or dressing down and no one complains.

It's interesting how many classic villains wore a combo of green and purple. I have some theories why that ended up being the colours of choice for costumed crooks, but Catwoman was in good company.
    Yeah, but I never thought of Talia as wearing a costume. She's just herself (no persona to dress up as) so really she could wear what she wants.

And yes... it is insane how many characters (Marvel and DC) love the use of Green and Purple for their ensembles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Selina didn't wear a costume when she was a mob boss and wore her regular cat burglar costume for a "date" with Batman.

Talia never "dresses down".

While we are talking about Selina's fashion sense.... can I state for the record how stupid I think her current costume design is?! I mean...it's not that different from what she was wearing before, but why in the world would she have those open "slits" around her arm pit area? I don't see the point in that. Just seems like a pointless change to her costume??!!

Incredible Member

DOES ANYONE THINK CATWOMAN SHOULD RETURN TO HER '40S' LOOK?

No, but it would be nice if that look was acknowledged in the early past part of Batman cannon again, rather than say the costume she's worn from the start of her first meeting with Batman was the Darwyn Cooke costume, that was her costume for far too long, until recently.

I kind of missed that Catwoman, like a woman with a wardrobe full of dresses, changing to a variety of costumes, maybe even two or three within a year. The Batman Returns-esque costume, my opinion, was an about time change from the same costume she's worn for seventeen years.
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd love the 90's purple outfit with free flowing long black hair back.

Just drawn by better artists with more realistic body proportions, and less spine-bendy-boobs-out poses.
    That's...actually the best part of the 90's look, though
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    While we are talking about Selina's fashion sense.... can I state for the record how stupid I think her current costume design is?! I mean...it's not that different from what she was wearing before, but why in the world would she have those open "slits" around her arm pit area? I don't see the point in that. Just seems like a pointless change to her costume??!!
    She doesn't have slits cut out of her new costume. The bare armpits are a result of Selina dressing in layers. Her catsuit is sleeveless and is covered by a corset around the waist, and by a bolero jacket across the chest, shoulders, and arms. I think the bolero jacket is a very creative choice for Catwoman. Unfortunately it is a detail many artists don't notice or remember of Jones's new design, and they draw the new costume incorrectly. The bare armpits and wrists are intentional to show small amounts of skin in creative ways.

Spectacular Member Huntsman1117's Avatar

I'm mostly happy that Catwoman is no longer wearing bug-eyed googles and bulky work boots. Now she looks more sleek, svelte, & feline.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman1117 View Post
    She doesn't have slits cut out of her new costume. The bare armpits are a result of Selina dressing in layers. Her catsuit is sleeveless and is covered by a corset around the waist, and by a bolero jacket across the chest, shoulders, and arms. I think the bolero jacket is a very creative choice for Catwoman. Unfortunately it is a detail many artists don't notice or remember of Jones's new design, and they draw the new costume incorrectly. The bare armpits and wrists are intentional to show small amounts of skin in creative ways.
    Slits or no slits, it still looks kinda odd to have just the armpits exposed.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

IMG_0479.jpg

I'm torn in that I think she's had several great looks, depending on the context and tone of story she's appeared in. For a character with supposedly nine lives, I don't see why she can't have at least twice as many costumes.

Practicality has never been especially high on my requirements list, because I love that comic book physics are wholly different than reality's physics.

I love the moderately slit-skirt purple dress, knee-high "non-buccaneer" boots, with stylized ears mask and green cape for the glamour of it all. I've always considered Catwoman as Batman's equal and there's a nice dark majesty about this look that visually balances and competes with Batman's grey bodysuit and blue cape and cowl. Both costumes can be drawn dynamically on the page, with is a huge visual plus I've enjoyed in their depictions across time and the multiverse. The animated Batman: The Brave and the Bold series got so much of this costume right in action that could never happen in live action.

Julie Newmar's sleek, sparkly Lurex catsuit with gold accessories (medallion necklace, belt, and claws) and ankle boots is about as chic as you get and Julie gave you a strong and sexy without revealing any skin. Her cloaked athleticism and curves say everything that needs to be said without the ridiculousness of modern interpretations of a black catsuit on Selina that's unzipped to her navel. Catwoman '66s spiritual descendant, The Feline Fatale Rises in '12, did much of the same in a Nolan-inspired reality, and I think it was a good take on the costume for Hathaway's amalgamated performance as Selina. Jones' catsuit has a bit of the latters' tech-y feel which I'm enjoying in her book. For some reason I kinda like all the layers in it, although the big pull ring needs to be replaced with something else perhaps. (Just my personal taste on that one.)

While not my fave version of the Catwoman character, I undoubtedly appreciate Burton's take on the costumed for his standalone would-be feline feminist parable in Batman Returns. The stitched together costume mirroring her stitched together psyche was a brilliant addition to takes on Catwoman's character, and it had to be shiny vinyl, because REQUISITE 90S LADIES FASHIONS. (See: Trinity from the Matrix.)

Batman: The Animated Series was my gateway drug to all things Batman and Gotham. I've always loved Catwoman in particular, but this series won me over to being a Batman fan - I finally vibed in a major way with the possibilities of him and his entire world. Selina's Siamese cat motif was enjoyable (and much better than her redesign in the Batman and Robin Adventures), but I can't say it was as glam as I would have liked - but it fit that world and her character - as between her and Batman there was a lot of grey bodysuits going on in their scenes together. I guess there's some symbolism there too, considering both characters personalities and actions.

All due respect to Ms. Berry, but just no to the tiger-torn costume she wore in Catwoman '04.

I've never been a fan of the green bodysuit or the black and sky blue puss in boots costumes from the comics.

Cooke's redesign certainly fit his film noir take on Selina and her world (also not my fave take on the character of Selina), but he's the only one who did it justice in the shadows and light of that series. I didn't enjoy Lee's take on the costume in Hush, compared to the other character designs present in that storyline. It's somewhat bland to me.

Which leaves me with Balent. I had some comics as a kid, but I started reading comics in earnest in college in the 90s, so maybe that costume imprinted on me in my comics geek upbringing and "childhood" as I started to learn all about comics, characters, writers, artists, publishers, etc. And as a newbie, I only picked up and read Wonder Woman and Catwoman at the time. I like the purple and black costume and Selina's portrayal and the action and adventure in Dixon and his stories, but the proportions in which her bazooms and waist and cakes were drawn were ridiculous and side-eye-able to any girl friend who happen to see one of the issues I had laying around. Still, I think there's promise for the purple and black color scheme and the thigh-high boots and opera-length gloves, with some modifications and not such an insulting, objectified rendering of her body and proportions. (Purple and black has become the signature colors of Huntress and Spoiler as well, but I think at least Spoiler could add some blue like she originally did, IIRC.) Selina's infra "green" night lenses in her mask was a nice touch to give her a hint of the classic green she's known for. It may also be that I associate this costume with a period in which Catwoman/Selina Kyle was her most capable action adventurer and antihero self, similarly to how Batman/Bruce Wayne is often portrayed. I liked the exploration of her character in that sense of it being a contrast to Batman.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-31-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Which leaves me with Balent. I had some comics as a kid, but I started reading comics in earnest in college in the 90s, so maybe that costume imprinted on me in my comics geek upbringing and "childhood" as I started to learn all about comics, characters, writers, artists, publishers, etc. And as a newbie, I only picked up and read Wonder Woman and Catwoman at the time. I like the purple and black costume and Selina's portrayal and the action and adventure in Dixon and his stories, but the proportions in which her bazooms and waist and cakes were drawn were ridiculous and side-eye-able to any girl friend who happen to see one of the issues I had laying around. Still, I think there's promise for the purple and black color scheme and the thigh-high boots and opera-length gloves, with some modifications and not such an insulting, objectified rendering of her body and proportions. (Purple and black has become the signature colors of Huntress and Spoiler as well, but I think at least Spoiler could add some blue like she originally did, IIRC.) Selina's infra "green" night lenses in her mask was a nice touch to give her a hint of the classic green she's known for. It may also be that I associate this costume with a period in which Catwoman/Selina Kyle was her most capable action adventurer and antihero self, similarly to how Batman/Bruce Wayne is often portrayed. I liked the exploration of her character in that sense of it being a contrast to Batman.
    Comics are mostly for male nerds, very seldom real females, because they do not "get" us anyways. Go into the real world? Just put comics away. Until then, We should not be ashamed of enjoying good comics of bodacious babes with big proportions and tight costumes to show it.

I, for one, pick up an occassional Jim Balent Catwoman, under the sure reliability, that each issue will have at least one good panel of her big posterior.

Without such, the pictures will be B-O-R-I-N-G. Seriously, the "Convergence" event Catwoman issues, revisiting Balent costume, but without Balent, the action angles not centering enough in right angles, and whenever they do somewhat angle her, her parts was medium. I am not joking here, but such was just boring, as in if cannot bring in Balent or ghost him right, just don't rehaul that costume at all.
    Last edited by ngroove; 03-31-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Comics are mostly for male nerds, very seldom real females, because they do not "get" us anyways. Go into the real world? Just put comics away. Until then, We should not be ashamed of enjoying good comics of bodacious babes with big proportions and tight costumes to show it.

I, for one, pick up an occassional Jim Balent Catwoman, under the sure reliability, that each issue will have at least one good panel of her big posterior.

Without such, the pictures will be B-O-R-I-N-G. Seriously, the "Convergence" event Catwoman issues, revisiting Balent costume, but without Balent, the action angles not centering enough in right angles, and whenever they do somewhat angle her, her parts was medium. I am not joking here, but such was just boring, as in if cannot bring in Balent or ghost him right, just don't rehaul that costume at all.
    Nah, you and I and and a large percentage of the women readership of comics just have very different definitions of what makes comics, and Catwoman's physique, and Catwoman's physique in a purple and black costume, boring.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Nah, you and I and and a large percentage of the women readership of comics just have very different definitions of what makes comics, and Catwoman's physique, and Catwoman's physique in a purple and black costume, boring.
    Catwoman should always look glassy and glamorous--like a movie star gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Comics are mostly for male nerds, very seldom real females, because they do not "get" us anyways.
    There are lots of women into comics already, and hopefully there would be more if attitudes like the above didn't scare them away.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Catwoman should always look glassy and glamorous--like a movie star gone bad.
    "glassy"?

(At least it didn't come out as "gassy"!)