Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Is Marvel Trying to Steal Away Fans from WW with Capt. Marvel?

Since they don't have an iconic female character like WW (well, at least as old as WW), maybe with the Phoenix being the most popular from X-men, so their best bet is to recreate one.

Do you think DC should create a new superhero or gloss up an existing one that has the potential to rival Capt. Marvel for the much younger generation, like Supergirl?

I often Wonder Woman will be still as popular once its main demographics are no longer in this planet, and if it will follow the likes of Zorro and other superheroes or famous characters that many people now don't even remember.

You may find this interesting:

http://whatculture.com/film/captain-...better?page=13

No they aren't. That would imply they got those fans unfairly. You can be a fan of both Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

Yeah, they want a female hero who has similar popularity, but they don't care if these new Carol Corps members are also fans of Diana or not.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

You appeal to an audience or you don't. If Marvel can get people on board with Captain Marvel , it means they are doing something right. Marvel built their verse, have the confidence of their audience and are showing they not afraid of powerful females who do not need men to define who or what they are or become. Same as the way they treat their men. DC should learn a thing or two about that. Even in comics Diana is undermined and weakened...eg Rebirth Wonder Woman imo is a now mess and the weakest in powerset I ever read of the character and it is jarring coming off three decades of a more powerful and independent Diana starting from Perez to Azzarello. It peeves me Diana is not flying in the movie verse. The argument they use well she might be construed as a female Superman yet they have zero probs other males flying in their own verse. And Marvel certainly isn't bothered Carol is flying when they have other males who fly. Why should we blame Marvel for DC's lack of vision for its premiere heroine?

No. The whole premise of the question is stupid.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No, people can like both.

We should not be pitting the two female heroines against each other.

I think the question should framed as "Is Marvel trying to position Captain Marvel as their own flagship female Heroine similar to Wonder Woman?"

In which case the obvious answer is yes.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Supergirl or Batgirl is much bigger threat to WW than Captain Marvel.
    In fact Captain Marvel may force DC to treat WW better.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    No, people can like both.

We should not be pitting the two female heroines against each other.
    100% agree.

Fans love both Batman and Spider-Man at the same time, so why should people pick sides just because there are two women?

The crossover between DC and Marvel movie fans is rather large - there's no point in 'stealing' from anyone, especially movies that are coming out a year apart.

If anything, Marvel is using the success of Wonder Woman to help launch its first solo female film. Had WW failed at the box office, I wonder if there would have been a Captain Marvel solo film.

I like DC films and characters, I like Marvel films and characters - I never understood the need to choose when they aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The crossover between DC and Marvel movie fans is rather large - there's no point in 'stealing' from anyone, especially movies that are coming out a year apart.

If anything, Marvel is using the success of Wonder Woman to help launch its first solo female film. Had WW failed at the box office, I wonder if there would have been a Captain Marvel solo film.

I like DC films and characters, I like Marvel films and characters - I never understood the need to choose when they aren't mutually exclusive.
    Originally, Captain Marvel was set to be in theaters before Wonder Woman. Marvel changed their schedule after the Spider-Man deal and the movie got pushed back. So I believe there would have been Captain Marvel movie regardless of how well Wonder Woman did

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Originally, Captain Marvel was set to be in theaters before Wonder Woman. Marvel changed their schedule after the Spider-Man deal and the movie got pushed back. So I believe there would have been Captain Marvel movie regardless of how well Wonder Woman did
    No, Captain Marvel was supposed to open on july 6, 2018 originally, so 1 year after Wonder Woman.
    But I agree that they would have made the movie regardless of WW success.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    No, Captain Marvel was supposed to open on july 6, 2018 originally, so 1 year after Wonder Woman.
    But I agree that they would have made the movie regardless of WW success.
    Yea, you're right for some reason I was thinking WW open in 2018.

Incredible Member

I greatly enjoyed BOTH Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    You appeal to an audience or you don't. If Marvel can get people on board with Captain Marvel , it means they are doing something right. Marvel built their verse, have the confidence of their audience and are showing they not afraid of powerful females who do not need men to define who or what they are or become. Same as the way they treat their men. DC should learn a thing or two about that. Even in comics Diana is undermined and weakened...eg Rebirth Wonder Woman imo is a now mess and the weakest in powerset I ever read of the character and it is jarring coming off three decades of a more powerful and independent Diana starting from Perez to Azzarello. It peeves me Diana is not flying in the movie verse. The argument they use well she might be construed as a female Superman yet they have zero probs other males flying in their own verse. And Marvel certainly isn't bothered Carol is flying when they have other males who fly. Why should we blame Marvel for DC's lack of vision for its premiere heroine?
    Totally agree with you here. They seem to continuously disrespect Wonder Woman in the comics and in the DCEU. We continue to get a watered down version, such that the curb stomping she got in Justice League would be just as bad if it was her against Captain Marvel.

I would prefer Wonder Woman be in a stand alone universe in both the comics as well as in the movies because the shared aspect of her with others doesn't seem to work very well with other writers.