Default Who is paying for Diana?

We learn Diana has no money. Which is weird, I mean wouldn't ti be easier for her to get money from the things that use her name? If she writes a book or has toys made of her she gets money. I mean is the military just paying her bills? I don't mind Diana helping the US military but I rather Diana not being relaying on the goverment to pay her bills. How do you guys think Diana should earn her money?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 03-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

She earns a living as a Professor at Holiday College where she teaches History. Plus she’s a best-selling author and has a Youtube channel where she shares the Amazons’ wealth of knowledge on human history which is immeasurably greater and more precise than ours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How do you guys think Diana should earn her money?
    As Ambassador of Themyscira, I think the Amazons / Queen Hippolyta should provide her with an allowance which is sufficient to establish, staff and run an embassy (where Diana keeps an apartment) and to cover her basic living expenses (e.g. food, clothes, travel) in man's world.

Although I presume that Diana would also make money from licensing her "Wonder Woman" image, I imagine that all of that revenue goes to charitable endeavours, whether a charity which she established or an existing charity. I would hazard a guess that membership of the Justice League also comes with some kind of allowance, presumably funded by Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen and other wealthy members of the league. Whether or not Diana would accept that allowance is probably questionable.

As for other expenses, for example, a nice gown for a major charitable ball, a holiday at a resort away from prying eyes or a new armoured costume, I like the idea of Diana publishing a series of essays / books espousing Amazonian ideals and perhaps she keeps part of the profits from those ventures which derive directly from her own hard work and intellect (as opposed to simply trading off her "brand" as "Wonder Woman"). If she earns a fee doing guest lectures / presentations for major, for-profit corporations, then that seems like another revenue source which she could keep and use.

I'm also fond of the idea that Diana spends some of her "downtime" hunting down mystical relics and artefacts which could be dangerous in the wrong hands. If she happens to claim a "finders fee" from the local government for discovering some ancient size / ruins (or similar), then that could be another source of income. I don't see her selling anything harmless that she finds, if it "belongs" to a local government.

How often does superhero comics talk about money at all? Apart from the Bruce Wayne faucet, that is?

Now, Diana doesn't say she doesn't have money in #66. She says she doesn't have half a million dollars on short notice. There's a difference.

In the current continuity, there is no outside money supply from Themyscira, and Rucka hardly established anything in his Rebirth run (and I doubt anyone cares about what Robinson did). But at a guess Diana has a generous allowance or salary from the Justice League, and at least Loebs made it explicit in his run. That should be more than enough for Diana's own needs.

I imagine that if she has set up some sort of Wonder foundation to handle merchandise, or earn money as a lecturer or writer, a lot of that goes directly to various charitable and philantropic causes.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])