Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I was told by a guy at my LCBS that Marvel would not bring back Mar-vell until Starlin leaves this mortal coil. To respect a creator that much has to mean something I guess. Though Mar-vell maybe my all time favorite Marvel Comics character so I wish they would bring him back and at least stop with the red herring, 'could we be bringing him back for real this time' trope they have repeatedly overused.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Not sure if editorial hates him but I certain roll my eyes whenever I see Starlin as a writer. He tends to come off as "my characters are better than everyone else at everything ever and most powerfulest and smartest and if any other story says different they were a fake!" most of the time.
    The thing is, Starlin's not wrong. His take on his characters are invariably better.

I think Abnett and Lanning took his characters into some different directions, but I appreciate that they continued to grow and add to the characters' development.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I was told by a guy at my LCBS that Marvel would not bring back Mar-vell until Starlin leaves this mortal coil. To respect a creator that much has to mean something I guess. Though Mar-vell maybe my all time favorite Marvel Comics character so I wish they would bring him back and at least stop with the red herring, 'could we be bringing him back for real this time' trope they have repeatedly overused.
    Probably because the Death of Captain Marvel Is a beautiful and poignant story and bringing back Mar-Vell would diminish the impact of that story.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    The thing is, Starlin's not wrong. His take on his characters are invariably better.

I think Abnett and Lanning took his characters into some different directions, but I appreciate that they continued to grow and add to the characters' development.
    I like what DnA did with Adam in the early days of their GOTG run, even though they quickly went with the Magus route and then turned him into a Evil kid. That was dumb.
    I don't have much issue with Earth's heroes being used as red shirts in Starlin stories while Adam and Thanos are the ones saving the universe since evil cosmic entities have always been above their league. However Thanos making Galactus fly away with a energy hand blast? Yeah that's headscratching even for me.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 03-11-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think one of the main problems is Starlin hates when Thanos is used where he shouldn't be. I kinda agree with him on that though. Thanos should never show up in books like Kazar or Squirrel Girl. Of coarse the main problem with Thanos now is Marvel has just beaten the character so far into the ground by using him over and over and over.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    But it seems like Marvel writers and editors in general kind of just ignore what Starlin writes regarding character development and continuity.
    I suppose we could say similar things about many other creators, even Kirby. And Starlin did the same thing, for example in Cosmic Odyssey (although it was published by DC), which is The Ultimate Handbook of Mischaracterization of the Previously Established Characters. Even in his Marvel work, Starlin works best when he uses his own cast of characters and themes. But, exactly because his style and interests are so specific, it's very difficult for other writers to build on them.
    Last edited by Paradox_Nihil; 03-11-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Ever sine the late 90's Marvel's care with continuity isn't, to say the least, what it used to be. Thanos is largely percieved as a villain (just check the MCU), so writers tend to ignore what doesn't go well with this narrative. Personally, I like Starlin's work in general (Dreadstar is still one of my favorite stories ever), but his man-crush on Thanos rivaled Bendis man-crush on Luke Cage. While far from perfect, he was by far excessively capable, for lack of a better term. IMHO, it ended up being boring, just as overpowered and too perfect heroes tend to be.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    At this point, i don’t expect marvel to bring him back at all;i think they’re too invested in promoting carol danvers as captain marvel, and with the movie being a hit, they have even more incentive to keep pushing her. I’m wondering if bringing back the original mar- vell would be in anyone’s interest anymore.
    Last edited by protege; 03-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I guess I just don't see the point in bringing Mar-vell back. Sure, if the story is good enough, OK, but he just seems to work better dead.

Except if you're a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    At this point, i don’t expect marvel to bring him back at all;i think they’re too invested in promoting carol danvers as captain marvel, and with the movie being a hit, they have even more incentive to keep pushing her. I’m wondering if bringing back the original mar- vell would be in anyone’s interest anymore.
    Considering Carol has become the figurehead of Marvel's recent SJW activism (and I'm not passing judgement here. Just stating a fact), I think Monica Rambeau is the only one that has a chance of taking her place as Captain Marvel, and I have to say I like the idea (even though Genis-Vell is my favorite holder of the title. I always thought Marvel was wrong to have Monica give up the name).

Peace

Starlin has a very purple prose style of narration that I think works for some but just comes off as wordy and pretentious to a lot of others, and his Thanos work is rife with it. One thing Infinity War nailed was being able to convey Thanos' intelligence and complexity without having him monologue internally about the nature of life for 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Considering Carol has become the figurehead of Marvel's recent SJW activism
    A figureheaded that just brought them in half a billion dollars at the box office in under a week. There ain't gonna be another Captain Marvel anytime soon, so people need to let that dream die.

BANNED

I wonder how they will reveal when Carol adopted the Captain marvel moniker as iirc she was never called by the name in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    You don't need Starlin's trippy metaphysics to get Thanos right. Have him team up with a group of heroes against a evil cosmic entity and depict Thanos as magnificent bastard strategist
    Possibly, but that would still lead to some saying it wasn’t Like Starlin. And you are presupposing that others get him ‘wrong’. Besides, we already had that debate in another thread.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-14-2019 at 03:08 AM.

Jim seems to stubbornly think he is the only one who can write Thanos and other cosmic characters. These chracters are owned by Marvel and exist in a shared universe so other writers are going to give their take on these characters and that won't necceserily line up with what Starlin did.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman