Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

I wonder if any books of marvel will refer to his latest trilogy or whether it will remain in it's own bubble.

I doubt it. Starlin made some token efforts to acknowledge continuity at the time (like having the Outriders hanging around Thanos' ship and mentioning Thanos' actions during that Avengers/Guardians crossover Bendis did), but they honestly read like they could just take place in their own continuity.

I think a lot of the stuff that's been done with Adam Warlock since then also reads like it was not following what Starlin did in his graphic novels.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    I swear I'd read some recent interview about Lobdell and his brief stint on the FF - and he flat-out said he was fired because he was late with his stories. Can't find it anywhere, but the closest I did find was this:

http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...irections.html

Claremont was supposed to go back to the X-Men in `97, but Harras felt obligated to have Joe Kelly and Steve Seagle stay on the books (as they'd just gotten them).
    Lobdell quits/fired/whatever on the FF and CC gets the FF out of "WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO???"

I loved the Claremont run. It was refreshing to read his stuff outside the norm at Marvel -- aka tied down to a mutant book. He was just getting into some good stuff when he left for X-Treme X-Men.
    I wouldn't doubt that is what happened. I just remember buying a copy of Wizard magazine at that time....which is where you got your comic book news in the pre-internet days.....and they had a round table interview with all the writers of the titles being relaunched as the Heroes return. Lobdell and Waid was another writer but can't remember now who the others were. But it sure sounded like he was settling for doing a Fantastic Four run. Maybe the story about a Hollywood offer was a diplomatic "out" for both parties

I think it was good for Claremont to do another title other than X-Man too. For example, I think he did a better job with Ben and Johnny and wrote them "smarter". Johnny was doing different things on his own with his powers, etc.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I doubt it. Starlin made some token efforts to acknowledge continuity at the time (like having the Outriders hanging around Thanos' ship and mentioning Thanos' actions during that Avengers/Guardians crossover Bendis did), but they honestly read like they could just take place in their own continuity.

I think a lot of the stuff that's been done with Adam Warlock since then also reads like it was not following what Starlin did in his graphic novels.
    Warlock felt like a non-entity in Duggan's Infinity Wars despite the build up he got.

If I recall correctly, I think the most amount of connection we have to the main series' and Starlin's trilogy is that the Black Order exist and I believe he might have been commanding the Chitari as well. But other than that, they exist in their own little time bubble, and probably for a good reason since I have no idea how exactly you could fit that all into the main continuity.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think it was good for Claremont to do another title other than X-Man too. For example, I think he did a better job with Ben and Johnny and wrote them "smarter". Johnny was doing different things on his own with his powers, etc.
    Highlighted for the win.
    This is what made his run interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    If I recall correctly, I think the most amount of connection we have to the main series' and Starlin's trilogy is that the Black Order exist and I believe he might have been commanding the Chitari as well. But other than that, they exist in their own little time bubble, and probably for a good reason since I have no idea how exactly you could fit that all into the main continuity.
    Starlin also made references to Annihilation and Thanos Imperative.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I honestly wouldn't doubt if Marvel editors hate everyone that's come before them, even Stan and Jack.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I honestly wouldn't doubt if Marvel editors hate everyone that's come before them, even Stan and Jack.
    Given Thor's current status as a jobber and the Fantastic Four put on hiatus, you are right, not even Lee and Kirby are safe.

Is he the writer that says he'll never write for marvel ever again but keeps going back?

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

I loved the Claremont run. It was refreshing to read his stuff outside the norm at Marvel -- aka tied down to a mutant book. He was just getting into some good stuff when he left for X-Treme X-Men.
    I also liked quite a lot Claremont's FF run. They've just started to put it out on TPBs. Hope they continue. Good stuff.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It's not just Thanos; most writers don't give a damn about any but a few heroes and maybe antiheroes they liked as a kid. Spider-Man gets treated well by most writers, as does Wolverine, and a few characters specific to individual writers, but by and large most other characters are nothing to most writers. Just nothing. It's often been painful to me to realize that a character I liked meant just nothing to anyone with power in Marvel. Not a hint of a damn.
    So many high potential characters disappear because of the. I had no idea I could agree with a comment so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    So many high potential characters disappear because of the. I had no idea I could agree with a comment so much.
    Kinda like when Quesada did One More Day because he thought that Peter Parker becoming a mature adult and a father would have made the character less appealing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Starlin has a very purple prose style of narration that I think works for some but just comes off as wordy and pretentious to a lot of others, and his Thanos work is rife with it. One thing Infinity War nailed was being able to convey Thanos' intelligence and complexity without having him monologue internally about the nature of life for 2 hours.

A figureheaded that just brought them in half a billion dollars at the box office in under a week. There ain't gonna be another Captain Marvel anytime soon, so people need to let that dream die.
    but was it really a hit though? I get the impression that Marvel/Disney put a lot of it's considerable might behind making sure this movie was a 'hit' sure it is passing benchmarks of what is considered a success but it feels like Disney is doing/has done everything they can to get it there. I don't think this movie outperformed in any way shape or form but got to where it is by being dragged there by the best of Disney's considerable forces. What you said is true Disney is highly invested in Carol, but it seems to me that reports of Captain Marvel the movie's success might be exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    but was it really a hit though?
    .........Yes?