Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
I would also notice that Batman weathers change better than Superman does. DC ditched his trunks in the mid-nineties and almost no one noticed. He loses his yellow oval and not only do most fans not complain, they prefer it. Batman fans have come to accept change whereas Superman fans fight it. This might actually make Batman easier to work with than Superman in some ways. Batman fans are perceived as being more open to new ideas. Not that Superman fans don't have good reason to be suspicious of too much change. How many origins has he had? Writers also aren't afraid to try out new villains and taking stories in different directions than Superman writers are. Superman just seems to fight the alien of the month over and over again.
You’re right about the different attitudes to change. The obsession with the trunks is a good example. However I don’t quite agree with the point about the villains at least in the comics. I’m outside media all we get is Lex and Zod and the perception that Supes doesn’t have any other villains has hurt him for sure. It’s why I’m angry that they’re apparently using Brainiac for Kara. However in the comics writers actually are fairly good about creating new villains. Busiek created new Rogues. Morrison created a bunch of new Rogues in his New 52 run such as Nimrod, Vyn, Drekkon, and the Phantom King. Lobdell created new Rogues that were mostly crap. Pak created some new Rogues that were decent like Harrow and her Ghost Soldiers. Jurgens created a ton of new Rogues, unfortunately the ones I liked the most like Conduit and Blanque don’t get used. Kelly created Manchester Black and the Elite. Rucka created some new Rogues. Bendis has made Red Cloud (good), the Invisible Mafia (good), and Rogal (bad) so far.

The problem isn’t creation. The problem is that mostly no one actually uses other peoples Rogues. Everyone abandons the previous writer’s toys to make their own, so all we get is a bunch of OCs and Lex. Sometimes we get someone like Johns or Tomasi who do make use of previous Rogues and do a good job but that’s rare. I am absolutely ******* desperate for someone to do something with Metallo or Parasite. How long have they been part of Superman’s Rogues Gallery and yet the only worthwhile story that has featured the two I can think of in recent years was Johns Secret Origin and I didn’t think their portrayal there was that great.