Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What exactly is the Marvel formula?

A lot of the criticisms of Marvel movies recently including Captain Marvel that I have read is that they follow the Marvel formula.

Can anyone break down exactly what are the elements of the Marvel formula that makes it unique?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    A lot of the criticisms of Marvel movies recently including Captain Marvel that I have read is that they follow the Marvel formula.

Can anyone break down exactly what are the elements of the Marvel formula that makes it unique?

And if it's that easy to dissect why don't more studios copy it? Why wouldn't studios develop their own strong franchises thru the Marvel formula? Posters here think it's so easy where are the copy cats?

Fantastic Member

The “formula” is pretty broad:

-Balance action with humor. Make the movies fun and safe for a wide audience including families with kids. Create an optimistic world that people would want to be in, filled with characters they like.

-Character is important. The movies are centered around charismatic leads with personality and emotional arcs. The title hero comes first and isn’t overshadowed by the plot or villains.

-Tell complete stand-alone stories that build towards a greater universe. Don’t make people wait for the big crossover team up several years down the line to win them over.

Aside from that, directors such as the Russos, Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, etc. seem to have been given wide latitude to make the movies they want. Occasional detractors will claim that all Marvel films are the same but that is greatly exaggerated, since movies like Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther are all very different.

The “formula” just seems like common sense. Other shared universes tripped up by trying to grab a piece of the MCU’s success without their patient approach. The DCEU started out with grimdark counterprogramming under Snyder before achieving success by actually making MCU-like movies such as Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Sony’s Spider-Verse foolishly thought people would give a crap about a Sinister Six teamup movie full of villains people didn’t know or care about, without involvement from the main hero.

The Dark Universe thought people inherently cared about seeing Universal’s monsters (villainous characters that people are aware of but nobody is a hardcore “fan” of). They made the mistake of starting their cinematic universe with a flop that cared more about ripping off SHIELD and setting up their own Avengers than telling it’s own story.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Step 1: Pick a character/story

Step 2: Write the script

Step 3: ????????

Step 4: Profit !!

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post

-Balance action with humor. Make the movies fun and safe for a wide audience including families with kids. Create an optimistic world that people would want to be in, filled with characters they like.

-Character is important. The movies are centered around charismatic leads with personality and emotional arcs. The title hero comes first and isn’t overshadowed by the plot or villains.

-Tell complete stand-alone stories that build towards a greater universe. Don’t make people wait for the big crossover team up several years down the line to win them over.
    This pretty much nails it.

People who use "marvel formula" as a negative would say the emotional moments are cut too quick by humor, there are too many "quips," the villains aren't focused on enough, third act CGI fest, the 'good guy always wins!" happens all the time, and they don't take enough risks or something. They are "mindless fun" or something.

I think those are BS (for the most part) but that is generally what people wo don't like it say.

The “formula” just seems like common sense.
    They are basically giving people what they want
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yea I've been confused by this. Only formula i notice is make fun movies that are widely loved. Alot of them have Humor but its different kinds of Humor and to different degrees. Whatever the formula is they better patent it. Love how some people are acting like Captain Marvels getting bad reviews when the vast majority seem to say it's an average fun MCU movie nothing ground breaking. Which is fine yes Carol's lands middle of the road for me. But middle of the Road for the MCU is way better then most block busters we get. Like we have talked about on here alot Thor 2 and Ironman 2 are considered the worst mcu movies and those are widely liked movies. Not beloved , but liked. The fact we got 21 movies and no flops to me just says every shared Universe needs someone as talented as Fiegie. He is the formula

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post

Aside from that, directors such as the Russos, Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, etc. seem to have been given wide latitude to make the movies they want. Occasional detractors will claim that all Marvel films are the same but that is greatly exaggerated, since movies like Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther are all very different.

The “formula” just seems like common sense. Other shared universes tripped up by trying to grab a piece of the MCU’s success without their patient approach. The DCEU started out with grimdark counterprogramming under Snyder before achieving success by actually making MCU-like movies such as Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Sony’s Spider-Verse foolishly thought people would give a crap about a Sinister Six teamup movie full of villains people didn’t know or care about, without involvement from the main hero.

The Dark Universe thought people inherently cared about seeing Universal’s monsters (villainous characters that people are aware of but nobody is a hardcore “fan” of). They made the mistake of starting their cinematic universe with a flop that cared more about ripping off SHIELD and setting up their own Avengers than telling it’s own story.
    I wouldn't say the title character always comes first and is never overshadowed, in the most recent MCU films that has happened pretty often tbh. Thor was pretty much always overshadowed by Loki, Spider-Man and Black Panther stole the show in Civil War which despite being a Captain America solo film was sold as "Avengers 2.5" the female characters and Killmonger were considered the best parts of Black Panther not Black Panther himself, Thanos was pretty much the lead character and most praised aspect in Infinity War not any of the Avengers themselves and most recently Captain Marvel has a cat getting called the best thing in the movie.

-3 act set up
    - Leans heavily on Comedy, and Action, With them coming at rate of adult attention span so they never get bored
    - Generally safe with story, content and subject matter.
    - Appeal to wide base possible
    - Great Special effects or Action set ups
    - Leave the audience on up note

It isn't a magic formula Transformers,The newer Jurassic Parks, The newer Fast and Furious and Aquaman all use same formula.. Heck Will Smith became popular with Independence day and MIB which used the formula. It isn't Marvel formula it is blockbuster formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    And if it's that easy to dissect why don't more studios copy it? Why wouldn't studios develop their own strong franchises thru the Marvel formula? Posters here think it's so easy where are the copy cats?
    They are finally starting to pretty much copy marvel Aquaman was pretty close to MCU movie.

Theres a more unique formula imo but its got nothing to do with the script and more to do with the background stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    They are finally starting to pretty much copy marvel Aquaman was pretty close to MCU movie.
    And was by far my favorite DCEU. Wonder Woman had better drama but didnt like the 3rd act and honestly doesnt have alot of rewatch value for me. I do like though but in the way I like Dr Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Theres a more unique formula imo but its got nothing to do with the script and more to do with the background stuff.
    Theres only one common denominator its Fegie. 21 movies without a flop in the bunch is insane and honestly I think Feigies to thank and Favrou for setting the tone for the MCU. Plus Happy is my favorite supporting character I think.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, the criticism kinda falls flat as it is a typical 3 act structure that all forms of storytelling have used since...well, pretty much the dawn of time. Others in this thread have done a great job stripping it down to the basic "outline" employed by Marvel. It has been successful for studio for over 10 years now. I don't see it changing anytime soon. Some Marvel films use the formula well and those less so.

Maybe some people are just feeling fatigued by it? I can certainly understand that. But to inherently say the film is crap by following the exact same outline that has proven successful time and again? That's silly.

I have my own issues with Marvel films. I feel that the humour is sometimes intrusive to the point it renders any dramatic tension moot (Thor: Ragnarok and GoTG Vol 2 are two main offenders for this.) I also hate how they often kill off the villains as well. Black Panther was a great film. But the character doesn't have a deep rogue's gallery to pull from and it does away with both Klaw and Killmonger (his top 2 villains) in the span of 2 hours? Knowing full well that the film might lead to sequels? That was stupid. But I digress.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The fact we got 21 movies and no flops to me just says every shared Universe needs someone as talented as Fiegie. He is the formula
    I often joke that if Batman and Robin were released now, it'd make money and get away with pretty much everything it was deservedly condemned for back in 1997. Standards for entertainment have dropped considerably over the years. So long as a movie makes you laugh and bedazzles you with effects and comic book aesthetics, it doesn't matter how mediocre the plot is or how bland the acting is.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-11-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Theres only one common denominator its Fegie. 21 movies without a flop in the bunch is insane and honestly I think Feigies to thank and Favrou for setting the tone for the MCU. Plus Happy is my favorite supporting character I think.

No.

The formula is fairly simple but dont assume I say this in a negative way. Its fairly smart. Imo its the best way to make a shared universe.

A. Keep a loose grip on your franchises but dont take your eye off them. WB meddles too much.
    B. Have an end goal that can constantly be added to. Avengers was first, then their breaking before leading to Thanos. Or Godzilla vs Kong for example. The Snyderverse had a static endpoint which is terrible for a Cinematic universe.
    C. Dont Rush, you need to see what works and what doesnt. You dont need everything to immediately link in. This is what harmed the Dark Universe and DCEU.
    D. Actors. You get D-C listers for your main characters, they'll work for you without complaint, wont get in trouble or be drama queens. Get the A listers for side characters or villains.

Brie Larsen is the first time Marvel have ignored D and its worked so far, but its still early.