Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I like this added point. They stay true to the characters, but they do not feel bound by the source material either. In making movies, that's a good thing.
    Fans often get upset because what is depicted on the screen isn't exactly 100% to the comics. But they need to understand that some elements don't translate well. So long as they capture the personality, mannerisms, look and general spirit of the characters they are adapting - and treat them with the respect and reverence they deserve - it is all good. For the most part, Marvel have adhered to that aspect (the few missteps being Mandarin, Zemo and the Ancient One.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Anyway I'm not disagreeing just think D List has a different meaning for us.
    LOL. I would offer up a completely different definition of "D-List". it's not some obscure up-and-coming character actor like Chadwick Boseman... or a long time career actor who has slumped for personal or professional reasons. you can have actors star in a litany of not very good movies but they still get hired: it's because they still show up, do their job, and enjoy acting. guys like Alfred Molina and Liam Neeson have starred in awful films - but I don't think of them as D-listers because when they're great... they're awesome. and for every three or four strikes they'll hit a home run. every now and then they can still steal a scene from the star of the film.

to be a "D-lister" you have to combine a limited acting range, a predictably small range of characters, and be in films that just aren't very good... and a LOT of them. yeah, when I think of D-list I'm thinking of Brendan Fraser, Kevin James, Lorenzo Lamas, Milla Jovovich, Rob Schneider, Tara Reid, or Vanessa Williams. these are performers who consistently give pretty bad performances and/or star in awful films. the good movies they've starred in are the exception rather than the rule. they've also been around a pretty long time and have shown no real sign of improvement. if you've been in "SnakeEater", "SnakeEater II", "SnakeEater III", or "Grown Ups"... then I'd say your D-list material.

the MCU has cast actors that were on the brink of becoming D-listers but never really landed there. by contrast, the DCEU actually has more legitimate D-list actors IMO. Connie Nielsen hasn't been in a lot of very good movies. Cara Delevingne is already D-list material in my book. she's not a very good actor and I don't see any hope of her skills improving.

this isn't meant to be a DC vs Marvel sort of post. I'm just suggesting that the argument should be for B-list and C-list actors instead of D. if we're talking about D-list actors then I don't think the MCU has really used them for anything more than extras or truly minor characters.

You know, it's funny. I think the biggest reason for Marvel's success is that they have someone in charge who has a deep respect for the source material and a solid understanding of why these characters have endured for generations, while giving them modern updates where they need them. Even with the differences, the characters feel true to themselves. Iron Man was never this quippy in the comics, but it doesn't feel like a departure from the character. Captain America leans into the culture shock a bit more because a movie can allow that. And the creative teams are interested in getting into the pathos of the characters to where it almost seems like the action is secondary. Frankly, that's the Stan Lee school of thought, so it makes sense that it works here too.

It's no secret that the best DC movies tend to embrace the characters from the comic book a bit more. Wonder Woman being the best so far and I am nothing but excited for Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    For the most part, Marvel have adhered to that aspect (the few missteps being Mandarin, Zemo and the Ancient One.)
    I would argue that those characters did work well on their own, though, if we ignore the source material.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Man the new Endgame plot synopsis is cool. If any character died you want to come back then cross your fingers. It says the MCU will be rewritten. So I don't think they are just gonna undo the snap we gonna end up with a butterfly effect stuff with all the time travel. Who knows I guess undoing the snap would rewrite the mcu technically, but I get the feeling we gonna have a big shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Man the new Endgame plot synopsis is cool.
    Is it official synopsis or leak?(trying really hard not to read the rest of the post! I'm not spoiling myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Is it official synopsis or leak?(trying really hard not to read the rest of the post! I'm not spoiling myself!)
    Naw it'sbeing reported as the new synopsis . Doesnt spoil anything just alludes to thingswe already know like time travel

BANNED

The Marvel formula is all about striking that balance between serious and comedic without being either too cheesy and cringey, like older adaptations of comics such as 60s Batman show, or too edgy and depressing, like most of DC's modern output. The movies aren't works of high art by any means, but they manage to keep up the colorful and exciting, while retaining the ability to turn up the feels at just the right moments. They may be formulaic, but they are also excellent reminders of why cliches exist in the first place - because most attempts to deviate too far from them in the name of creativity tend to just fall short in entertainment value.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    You know, it's funny. I think the biggest reason for Marvel's success is that they have someone in charge who has a deep respect for the source material and a solid understanding of why these characters have endured for generations, while giving them modern updates where they need them. Even with the differences, the characters feel true to themselves...
    IMO, Feige's contribution cannot possibly be overstated. He is a case of exactly the right guy, at exactly the right time, under exactly the right circumstances. He has a love for the characters, he had experience as a studio insider, and he happened to be attempting to make lemonade out of lemons as - at the time - the MCU's characters were the leftover IP nobody else wanted. As a result, he had far lower expectations on him, and thus far less interference. By the time people realized how valuable all this was, Feige had enough clout to push back on any "help" others wanted to give.

I wonder what the MCU will be when Feige is completely out of the picture.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The Marvel formula is all about striking that balance between serious and comedic without being either too cheesy and cringey, like older adaptations of comics such as 60s Batman show, or too edgy and depressing, like most of DC's modern output. The movies aren't works of high art by any means, but they manage to keep up the colorful and exciting, while retaining the ability to turn up the feels at just the right moments. They may be formulaic, but they are also excellent reminders of why cliches exist in the first place - because most attempts to deviate too far from them in the name of creativity tend to just fall short in entertainment value.
    Correct. Some of our most iconic stories are very similar to each other, but they work precisely because of that. Marvel knows what people love - characters you can relate to, a world that is both scary and fun, danger and action without feeling beat down ourselves, and stories that weave seamless into each other. The Harry Potter franchise, prior to the new ones, mastered this as well.

I think one other thing that the MCU does well is the minor characters serve the main character arch but they bring so much to the movies. Think Peggy Carter, Michael Pena's goofy sidekick, Stark's banter with his robots, goofy ravagers like Taserface and Gunn's brother, Coulson's card collection. It's those kinds of subtle, little things that endear the movies.

When you look at the seriously successful blockbusters you can point out those sorts of characters. In the less successful ones everything else feels like noise. Rarely in MCU movies do parts feel like noise.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Tbh, I hadn't heard or noticed Brie until she was announced for this movie. After I came out of it, my friend talked about how he liked her in Scott Pilgrim, and I had to be reminded that she was in it.
    I never heard of her either before this.
    Hemmingsworth-I know he was Kirk's Dad and he was in some Cabin in the Woods film where he died on a motorcycle.
    Pratt from Fantastic Four

make good action movie + remove controversial elements
    This too. Remember in Black Panther where Killmonger said "I am arming my people against our enemies." If the WRONG writer was in that room doing the script it would have been WHITE FOLKS as the enemy.

And if it's that easy to dissect why don't more studios copy it? Why wouldn't studios develop their own strong franchises thru the Marvel formula? Posters here think it's so easy where are the copy cats?
    Because like we have seen in comics-too many folks DISREGARD anything not showing a Marvel or DC logo for the most part.

See ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL-for all that CRYING-guess who didn't go see it.

Or Pacific Rim.

It not that studios can't do it-some are but you still got PICKY folks who want to cherry pick support. Which is why you see stuff come out under an established name but the plot is different. See Jem.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I would argue that those characters did work well on their own, though, if we ignore the source material.
    I'd also say the Mandarin, Zemo and the Ancient One worked really well. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin was a popular sensation. If it didn't work for someone, it may well be because it wasn't what the characters were in the comics.
    Power with Girl is better.

1) Hire the best talent out there from acting to writing
    2) Everyone work your actual ass off to make it happen in the best way possible (actual slave drivers optional!)
    3) Market ruthlessly, crush your enemies and see them driven before you

Its pretty much patterned after Walt Disney himself.

Talent knows what sells, work is what gets it done, and marketing is what puts butts in seats.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-12-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    1) Hire the best talent out there from acting to writing
    I don't know about this one, and this isn't to shit on Marvel Studios, but sometimes you can't get the best. It's not like anyone goes out of their way to find shitty talent.

Likewise, Marvel took a big risk in hiring the Russos, who were known more for directing a couple episodes of Community, and put them in charge of a $177 million project. So they were far from the best, but they were given the opportunity to shine and they accomplished that several times over.

On the same token, Marvel's heart was set on hiring Ava DuVernay (with a huge and distinguished CV she brings -- you can't get much better than her) and she turned out to be the wrong match for Black Panther, as both Ryan Coogler and then A Wrinkle in Time showed.

Plus, Marvel's really good at taking up and coming actors and turning them into household names. But getting "the best" would mean overlooking those actors in favor of bigger, more marketable names.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I don't know about this one, and this isn't to shit on Marvel Studios, but sometimes you can't get the best. It's not like anyone goes out of their way to find shitty talent.

Likewise, Marvel took a big risk in hiring the Russos, who were known more for directing a couple episodes of Community, and put them in charge of a $177 million project. So they were far from the best, but they were given the opportunity to shine and they accomplished that several times over.

On the same token, Marvel's heart was set on hiring Ava DuVernay (with a huge and distinguished CV she brings -- you can't get much better than her) and she turned out to be the wrong match for Black Panther, as both Ryan Coogler and then A Wrinkle in Time showed.

Plus, Marvel's really good at taking up and coming actors and turning them into household names. But getting "the best" would mean overlooking those actors in favor of bigger, more marketable names.
    Marvel is good at finding the best talent that fits the best. Is that a better way to put it?

Your comments on "best" makes me think of Kim Basinger in Batman 1989. For the studio at the time, she was the hot commodity, the hot girl culturally. But she was a terrible actor.

Ava DuVernay has said that she turned down Black Panther because she and Disney had different ideas of how the movie should be. In a studio like WB in 1989, she might have just gotten the job because of her pedigree. But in contrast, Disney weighed their options and liked Coogler's ideas about portraying African-Americans and African themes and felt that it was a better way to go. If you haven't yet, watch an interview with Coogler about the process, it might give you goosebumps. Somebody at Disney made the best business decision of their entire life in hiring him.

When Iron Man first came out, Robert Downey Jr. definitely seemed a risk, but somebody at Disney saw something and look at him now. Another fantastic decision. Disney has a pretty great process for determining the best.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.