Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I loved the film!

The concept itself is a brilliant subversion of the Superman mythos. The characters were great, and the acting was top-notch. Above all, the atmosphere and the visuals were suitably eerie and striking in equal measure.

SPOILERS ahead

spoilers:
    Actually, about the only real disappointment with the film was the way they had the ship rather unsubtly brainwash Brandon into 'taking the world'. This aspect was what single-handedly held the film back from achieving the greatness it could have. Without the ship's influence, the film would have been an interesting character study about a child being overwhelmed by superpowers and going down a dark path. Or, they could have delved deeper into the ship's influence and made the film about Brandon's inner conflict and a story about nature vs. nurture. As it stands, its a little difficult to really get a feel for Brandon's character and what's driving him towards evil. To put it another way - is the fundamental question driving this story "What if Superboy was evil?" or "What if Superboy was possessed by an evil spaceship?"
    end of spoilers

On the whole an enjoyable film that could work well as a standalone OR as the start of a new superhero/horror franchise...
    I don't know that spoilers:
    any mind control was involved; other than to draw him towards the ship. That red light unlocked him for lack of a better term. He's a sleeper agent. As was mentioned, an aggressive species forces a weaker one to raise their young. The implication is that the young will grow up to be just as aggressive; by nature.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Lol the ending Seen with Michale Rooker, were they setting up a Justice League of Horror films? Looked like that was a Aquaman AND wonderwoman reference and then looked like flashesque picture on the screen too?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 05-28-2019 at 08:30 PM.

when can we start talking without spoiler tags?

anyways...yes the ending was a direct reference to that. i'd be interested in that if done well and more horror themed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they might as well have called it 'Hyperion.' because it's a lot like how the MAX version of the character's origin played out.
    Yeah, I was gonna say... the saddest thing about this movie is we'll probably never see a JMS Squadron now. That would have been cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    spoilers:
    Lol the ending Seen with Michale Rooker, were they setting up a Justice League of Horror films? Looked like that was a Aquaman AND wonderwoman reference and then looked like flashesque picture on the screen too?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I read that the red Flash looking figure might be Crimson Bolt from Gunn's other indy superhero/villain film, Super. Don't know for sure though, it was a quick scene and I didn't get a good enough of a look to confirm. Either way, I'd love to see a horror take on both Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Batman too. Especially horror Batman.
    end of spoilers

when can we start talking without spoiler tags?
    Probably when it is no longer playing in theaters, whenever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say... the saddest thing about this movie is we'll probably never see a JMS Squadron now. That would have been cool.
    Saddest thing? What are the other sad things? I thought this was a pretty fun horror movie myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Saddest thing? What are the other sad things? I thought this was a pretty fun horror movie myself.
    there were a lot of inevitable things in the movie that were pretty sad.

there were a lot of inevitable things in the movie that were pretty sad.
    You're going to have to be more specific here. I don't get it?

When you find a baby in a spaceship you luck-up sometimes and get a Clark or a Goku, this was clearly not one of those times. I liked the movie well enough but I left the theater wanting a little more.

spoilers:
    I want to know more about Brandon's people. With the message the ship was sending him I don't think his planet was destroyed so maybe they're like Saiyans and send their infants to other planets to conquer them. Also I was waiting for the reveal that Brandon was some sort of humanoid insect based on the classroom scene and the fact that his mask seemed vaguely insect like to me. Of course this never but that would've been a neat little twist.
    end of spoilers
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

You're going to have to be more specific here. I don't get it?
    spoilers:
    i was able to predict a lot of what was going to happen. him killing the girl's mother. the father trying to shoot him. the failure of using the ship to kill him. the uncle saying that he was okay to drive leading to him being killed in a "car wreck." the death of the sheriff once he notices the symbol. the mother defending this kid who is obviously evil and dangerous. there was just a lot of telegraphing. there just wasn't any moment where i was hopeful or expecting good to overcome evil. it was sad and inevitable.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-30-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Just pointing out that Goku was a world destroyer until he fell on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Just pointing out that Goku was a world destroyer until he fell on his head.
    Bump on the noggin, a bit of mommy's genes. Maybe the Bryers should've tried a sledgehammer to the back of Brandon's head.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

spoilers:
    i was able to predict a lot of what was going to happen. him killing the girl's mother. the father trying to shoot him. the failure of using the ship to kill him. the uncle saying that he was okay to drive leading to him being killed in a "car wreck." the death of the sheriff once he notices the symbol. the mother defending this kid who is obviously evil and dangerous. there was just a lot of telegraphing. there just wasn't any moment where i was hopeful or expecting good to overcome evil. it was sad and inevitable.
    end of spoilers
    Eh, I wouldn't call that so much sad as basic horror movie tropes, but to each their own.

Eh, I wouldn't call that so much sad as basic horror movie tropes, but to each their own.
    spoilers:
    Even in horror, the bad guys USUALLY lose and the good guys USUALLY win in the end.
    end of spoilers