All-New Member

Default Recent Jim Gordon History Help - Tryin to catch up

hey guys and gals
    im hoping to get a little help as i cant seem to find any solid videos on youtube. ive been trying to catch up on some batman readings and get back into collecting books and novels. and as rough a time as our dark knight has been having it appears jim gordon has had his fair share of misfourtune.
    now if im remembering correctly jim lost his commissioner job when he was turned by the batman who laughs and i believe bullock took over for a period of time as the commish.
    so from that point jim has never recovered his job as the commissioner? and bullock dropped the job because he wouldnt go hunt down jim? i know jim is chasing down the joker in the joker title. but when did montoya get the job as comissioner - i dunno how i missed that!? [and further more how did i miss the issue where bullock got the job... he kinda just showed up and was commissioner]

just looking to chat and fill in some blanks if possible - thank in advance for those who take the time to read and leave a response.
    stay safe

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

You've pretty much got it.

Gordon was 'Jokerised' or whatever by Batman who Laughs and Bullock just showed up as Commissioner. We've had another soft reboot (post-Future State) and now Montoya is Commissioner.

Montoya has always been pretty pro-Batman, so the Mayor is now somewhat taking the 'Commissioner' role of running the police as the current plan is for the authority figure to be anti-Batman and also a complete moron who is unwittingly ushering in a corrupt authoritarian regime (while handing that control to outside companies rather than the state).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy the ride and know that Gordon will be back sooner or later.

Hopefully, the return will be less half-assed than post-Infinite Crisis.

Before that, Gordon had been shot by a fellow officer and retired. Bullock quit in disgrace having facilitated the shooter's murder. Another officer named Akins, personally endorsed by Gordon, had taken over as Commissioner and his relationship with Batman deteriorated until Batman was considered a felon. Post-IC Gordon and Bullock were back and pretty much all we got was a line saying Akins went bad and Bullock did 'something' to earn his (and Gordon's) place back on the force.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    You've pretty much got it.

Gordon was 'Jokerised' or whatever by Batman who Laughs and Bullock just showed up as Commissioner. We've had another soft reboot (post-Future State) and now Montoya is Commissioner.

Montoya has always been pretty pro-Batman, so the Mayor is now somewhat taking the 'Commissioner' role of running the police as the current plan is for the authority figure to be anti-Batman and also a complete moron who is unwittingly ushering in a corrupt authoritarian regime (while handing that control to outside companies rather than the state).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy the ride and know that Gordon will be back sooner or later.

Hopefully, the return will be less half-assed than post-Infinite Crisis.

Before that, Gordon had been shot by a fellow officer and retired. Bullock quit in disgrace having facilitated the shooter's murder. Another officer named Akins, personally endorsed by Gordon, had taken over as Commissioner and his relationship with Batman deteriorated until Batman was considered a felon. Post-IC Gordon and Bullock were back and pretty much all we got was a line saying Akins went bad and Bullock did 'something' to earn his (and Gordon's) place back on the force.
    Two years later . . . where are we now?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Two years later . . . where are we now?
    Ah, this was when I was enjoying Mariko Tamaki's Detective Comics and... reading Fear State in Batman.

I don't know exactly what's going on now as I'm not reading the main books. I think I read Montoya is anti-Batman now?

I do plan to read GCPD: The Blue Wall at some point, but not sure if it's in continuity.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!