View Poll Results: What Bat-Family Members do you want to see appear in James Gunn's DC Universe

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richard "Dick" Grayson

38 74.51%
  • Barbara Gordon

37 72.55%
  • Jason Todd

26 50.98%
  • Helena Bertinelli

17 33.33%
  • Tim Drake

14 27.45%
  • Stephanie Brown

21 41.18%
  • Jean Paul Valley

5 9.80%
  • Cassandra Cain

22 43.14%
  • Kate Kane

13 25.49%
  • Harper Row

6 11.76%
  • Duke Thomas

10 19.61%
  • Luke Fox

10 19.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What Bat-Family Members do you want to see appear in James Gunn's DC Universe?

With Bruce and Damian already confirmed for "The Brave and the Bold", I'm curious to know what other members of the Bat-Family James Gunn will use.

What members do you think will join his vision.

NOTE: I think it's safe to say Alfred Pennyworth and James Gordon are pretty much staples at this point, and will be in it.

Multiple Choice is allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    . . . NOTE: I think it's safe to say Alfred Pennyworth and James Gordon are pretty much staples at this point, and will be in it . . .
    Why do you say that?

If it's showing the early years of Batman that might be true, but since Alfred's been dead in the comic books for a while now (almost four years), would it make sense to include him any new movies unless they bring him back?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For the record, Alfred was killed by Bane in Batman #77 (late October 2019).

So is nearly four years since his death long enough yet?

And how long has it been since Jim Gordon was police commissioner?

What I want to see and what I think we'll see are two different things. I want to see Stephanie Brown so badly in a big budget Batman movie. It would be a dream come true, even if she's just a teenage blonde girl in a purple hoodie watching Batman beat up her lowlife father in the opening of a movie. I'd love to see the Spoiler story done properly onscreen.

I think Steph's chances of appearing are slim and if she does it won't be at the start, but I'm crossing my fingers and holding out hope. Other members I'd like to see would be Tim, but only if they don't bring Bernard with him. That is a deal breaker. I want to see everyone eventually. Dick, Babs, Jason, Cass, bat-hound. But Steph is the one I want to see most.

I don't really care about seeing Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, or Damian Wayne even though he's already confirmed. Barbara though remains a must for me, hope they skip over the whole broken back Oracle thing and just have her as Batgirl. Newer characters like Luke, Duke, and Harper might be cool to see, throw something different at the audience. So yeah, skip most former Robins, most later Batgirls, and try the new faces.

I'd like to see the Batgirls (Barbara Gordon, Cassandra Cain, and Stephanie Brown) eventually. Ace would be cool, too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I think Dick and Barbara are almost certainly going to show up. And I'd like them to introduce Jason at some point. Helena already existed in the DCEU and maybe they can fold her into Gunn's DCU. And I'd love to see Kate Kane (preferably played by Wallis Day who, IMO, was cheated out of a chance to really make her mark with the character).

I'd rather see people like Gordon, Bullock, Montoya, Crispus Allen, Chief Clancy O'Hara, Mackenzie "Hardback" Bock, Josie Mack, Steve "Shotgun" Smith, Lt. Stan Kitch, Caz Sallucci, Dagmar Procjnow, Leslie Thompkins, Vickie Vale, Mia "Maps" Mizoguchi, etc.

Don't need to dilute the "Bat"-name right away.

Astonishing Member

Dick and Barbara are pretty much safe bet. Original Robin, original Batgirl, Bat-Family without them just won't feel right.
    Regarding everybody else, we need to keep in mind Gunn's pattern - he likes problematic, complex, morally ambiguous characters, also he likes daddy/children issues and unstable families. That's how we got Damian - he's the character, who fits Gunn's preferred style. Keeping it all in mind, there are two characters I'm sure will make their appearances - it's Cassandra and Jason. Cass is expected, because Gunn openly admitted, that he's her fan, and regarding Jason, Red Hood is popular, Under the Red Hood is one of the most popular Batman stories, and as a character, Jason also fits Gunn's preferences.
    On the other hand, unfortunately, I can easily imagine that Tim and Stephanie will just be skipped, though, Stephanie is also the character I can see Gunn being interested in. Also, I can see Kate being the solo player in Gotham.

Who i want to see: Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon.

If the rest appear is a bonus.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Dick and Barbara are pretty much safe bet. Original Robin, original Batgirl, Bat-Family without them just won't feel right.
    Regarding everybody else, we need to keep in mind Gunn's pattern - he likes problematic, complex, morally ambiguous characters, also he likes daddy/children issues and unstable families. That's how we got Damian - he's the character, who fits Gunn's preferred style. Keeping it all in mind, there are two characters I'm sure will make their appearances - it's Cassandra and Jason. Cass is expected, because Gunn openly admitted, that he's her fan, and regarding Jason, Red Hood is popular, Under the Red Hood is one of the most popular Batman stories, and as a character, Jason also fits Gunn's preferences.
    On the other hand, unfortunately, I can easily imagine that Tim and Stephanie will just be skipped, though, Stephanie is also the character I can see Gunn being interested in. Also, I can see Kate being the solo player in Gotham.
    lol UTRH isn't one of the most popular batman stories. It's the most popular Jason Todd story and yea I think Jason will make it into the movie.

Cass on the other hand is pretty much screwed due to her character concept being identical to damian's and the specific elements of Damian's backstory critical to the movie's plot are replicated in her backstory rendering the whole Batman's kid who was raised to be a killing weapon by the LOA slowly adjusting to/ becoming a batfam legacy hero idea less special/new.

Gunn isn't so stupid to undermine his own movie.

I voted for Jason, Duke and Dick.

Pretty sure Gunn said Babs and Cass are his favourites.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 07-17-2023 at 05:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    lol UTRH isn't one of the most popular batman stories. It's the most popular Jason Todd story and yea I think Jason will make it into the movie.

Cass on the other hand is pretty much screwed due to her character concept being identical to damian's and the specific elements of Damian's backstory critical to the movie's plot are replicated in her backstory rendering the whole Batman's kid who was raised to be a killing weapon by the LOA slowly adjusting to/ becoming a batfam legacy hero idea less special/new.

Gunn isn't so stupid to undermine his own movie.

I voted for Jason, Duke and Dick.

Pretty sure Gunn said Babs and Cass are his favourites.
    I think Under the Red Hood is fairly popular/well-known enough to be the subject of an adaptation. The animated film was pretty good, and usually a story getting an animated adaptation is a pretty good predictor that it could end up getting a film adaptation as well (Johns' Justice League Origin, Throne of Atlantis, Flashpoint, Death/Return of Superman all received animated adaptations and then went on to be adapted to live-action in some form.)

Its also a story fairly easy to adapt. If an animated film could manage it in under 90 minutes, then a live-action film of 2-2.5 hours could really do it justice. The flashbacks would be a great way to fill in the backstory of this Batman too.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think Under the Red Hood is fairly popular/well-known enough to be the subject of an adaptation. The animated film was pretty good, and usually a story getting an animated adaptation is a pretty good predictor that it could end up getting a film adaptation as well (Johns' Justice League Origin, Throne of Atlantis, Flashpoint, Death/Return of Superman all received animated adaptations and then went on to be adapted to live-action in some form.)

Its also a story fairly easy to adapt. If an animated film could manage it in under 90 minutes, then a live-action film of 2-2.5 hours could really do it justice. The flashbacks would be a great way to fill in the backstory of this Batman too.
    I didn't say it wasn't popular enough to be adapted. I said it wasn't one of the most popular Batman stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't popular enough to be adapted. I said it wasn't one of the most popular Batman stories.
    Yeah, I mean, its not Year One or DKR or even The Long Halloween by any stretch. But popularity is a relative term, and because of its animated adaptation and bringing Jason Todd back to life I'd say its relatively popular.

It may well be one of the most popular Batman stories that hasn't been adapted in some form on the big screen. Year One, The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Knightfall, No Man's Land - they've all inspired some live-action Batman movie or the other to varying degrees. Morrison's run is going to be inspiring Gunn's Batman. Under the Red Hood is fairly uncharted territory in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I mean, its not Year One or DKR or even The Long Halloween by any stretch. But popularity is a relative term, and because of its animated adaptation and bringing Jason Todd back to life I'd say its relatively popular.

It may well be one of the most popular Batman stories that hasn't been adapted in some form on the big screen. Year One, The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Knightfall, No Man's Land - they've all inspired some live-action Batman movie or the other to varying degrees. Morrison's run is going to be inspiring Gunn's Batman. Under the Red Hood is fairly uncharted territory in that regard.
    I don't know how popular UtRH is to batman fans. I know RedHood fans love it but it rarely comes up with batfans.

Popularity isn't exactly relative with comics. We can see how much a comic sells.

We can see the stories that have remained in print and are still selling like hot cakes even today [Stuff like Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween or a Serious House which regular still top Amazon sales charts today]

We can see the stuff that's very popular are inspirational to creatives that spawns imitators or other/younger creatives to build on it [Morrison's Batman epic is a great and timely example of this with the detrimental effect it's had on Batwriters since and the DCU with everyone trying to copy him]

Jason's death is a popular and often referenced by writers., His return not so much. Do I think Red Hood will be adapted? Maybe?

An adaption leaves the movies in the same situation the comics are. He's back and he's trolled the bats for a period now what? Bat branded Jason who throws hissy fits while following Batman's orders?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Dick, Barbara, Tim and Cassandra.
    "Cable was right!"