Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I think with some fan-favorite characters that are used often I think character arc repetition is to de expected. I mean right now Teen Titans is doing another cross-over with Deathstroke. I mean so far of what I read of the Deathstroke issue I read its good so far. But, at the same time, I rather go into the next arc of Teen Titans with Crush vs. Lobo. I get the Teen Titans will always be connected to Deathstroke but, I kind of miss the days that he just try to kill Dick or Green Arrow sometimes.
    Agreed. However on the flip side when characters are used a lot we get more variety.
    Nightwing must die was something I enjoyed a lot.
    Since Rebirth began I've been spoiled by writers with what they done with Damian from the different Nightwing writers to pet rescuing in Dc Showcase to the horror tale with Grundy to Shadow/Batman, to finding peace in Nuclear Winter, to his role in Metal and GR down to TT where he loses faith and tries to do thing's his own way which ironically = doing the same thing his dad is doing in his title [Glass is a cheeky man]

It's all been fun and I'm thankful for the variety.

I think Deathstroke has evolved to more than TT villain status at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Having Lodbell as his main monthly handler since 2011 might have something to do with that, especially with how much focus he gives to Jason's self-esteem issues and other insecurities. Still his next arc looks interesting.
    The next arc looks good and every arc since RTebirth has been enjoyable and good. Arc repetition isn't a dirty word or a bad thing.
    Dick likely is always going to struggle with being his own man to a degree
    Jason likely always will suffer with his insecurities and self esteem
    Damian likely will always struggle with new people, insecurities, social interactions and his past
    and Bruce will always have the same issues.

Those are not thing's one change easily or without professional help [in Dick's case he is forced into that situation because he is the 1st son and the OG Robin]

Writer's will retread those arcs because they are a fallout from their past/origin/role. It won't stop them from growing or evolving as we can see with Batman.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 03-12-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Agreed. However on the flip side when characters are used a lot we get more variety.
    Nightwing must die was something I enjoyed a lot.
    Since Rebirth began I've been spoiled by writers with what they done with Damian from the different Nightwing writers to pet rescuing in Dc Showcase to the horror tale with Grundy to Shadow/Batman, to finding peace in Nuclear Winter, to his role in Metal and GR down to TT where he loses faith and tries to do thing's his own way which ironically = doing the same thing his dad is doing in his title [Glass is a cheeky man]

It's all been fun and I'm thankful for the variety.

I think Deathstroke has evolved to more than TT villain status at this point.
    Slade is the evil Wolverine (not as popular thougth), he evolved past of his role with the Titans after being the breakout start of the book, but he is obligated by contract to got back once in a while for a storyline
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The next arc looks good and every arc since RTebirth has been enjoyable and good. Arc repetition isn't a dirty word or a bad thing.
    Dick likely is always going to struggle with being his own man to a degree
    Jason likely always will suffer with his insecurities and self esteem
    Damian likely will always struggle with new people, insecurities, social interactions and his past
    and Bruce will always have the same issues.

Those are not thing's one change easily or without professional help [in Dick's case he is forced into that situation because he is the 1st son and the OG Robin]
    I don't see as a necesarily bad, but a different writer can help to give a different spin to the same problem (with different degrees of sucess), personalñy i enjoyed the Rebirth run, but the ñast arc conclusion didn't quite do it for me.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

I am really enjoying Glass's work. I can't remember the last time I have been this excited for a comic to come out. I typically don't like cross overs but, I actually want to see where this one goes. Although, I think eventually Damian's character will become more like the characterization in Super Sons after this arc. I think this characterization makes sense after the events of No Justice. Also, Damian is very much his father's son and creating a supervillain prison is a thing that Batman would totally do.

I'm just glad Glass is not letting this storyline go on too long. One thing I have noticed about Teen Titans is that it has excellent pacing where storylines are not too long and forgettable. That's one of the problems I am having with Nightwing right now where the "Rick" storyline is going on far too long. In between that time Teen Titans as gone through at least two storylines.
    Last edited by shadow6743; 03-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I don't see as a necesarily bad, but a different writer can help to give a different spin to the same problem (with different degrees of sucess), personalñy i enjoyed the Rebirth run, but the ñast arc conclusion didn't quite do it for me.
    Totally agree. I always wonder what Jason under a new writer could look like. A new writer picking up the same direction as Lobdell [ie no drastic change like making him a baddie]
    It'd be interesting to see but Jason [RHATO] not penned by Lobdell sounds almost blasphemous

The conclusion felt rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I am really enjoying Glass's work. I can't remember the last time I have been this excited for a comic to come out. I typically don't like cross overs but, I actually want to see where this one goes. Although, I think eventually Damian's character will become more like the characterization in Super Sons after this arc. I think this characterization makes sense after the events of No Justice. Also, Damian is very much his father's son and creating a supervillain prison is a thing that Batman would totally do.

I'm just glad Glass is not letting this storyline go on too long. One thing I have noticed about Teen Titans is that it has excellent pacing where storylines are not too long and forgettable. That's one of the problems I am having with Nightwing right now where the "Rick" storyline is going on far too long. In between that time Teen Titans as gone through at least two storylines.
    Honestly feels like DC is just stalling with Nightwing. Wasting time till the big Batman restructure they've been talking about. I just don't understand the point of the Ric arc since it really hasn't explored Dick or Nightwing. no attempt at self discovery as one would expect from a memory loss arc.

I'm so tired of that plot.

Yep TT has been amazing but I felt let down by the last arc that promised us a team up/mentoring which all happened off panel. We got one page. One page! I felt cheated by that.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Totally agree. I always wonder what Jason under a new writer could look like. A new writer picking up the same direction as Lobdell [ie no drastic change like making him a baddie]
    It'd be interesting to see but Jason [RHATO] not penned by Lobdell sounds almost blasphemous

The conclusion felt rushed.
    I wouldn’t mind Glass taking a crack at RHATO for an arc or 2 tbh

BANNED

Honestly feels like DC is just stalling with Nightwing. Wasting time till the big Batman restructure they've been talking about. I just don't understand the point of the Ric arc since it really hasn't explored Dick or Nightwing. no attempt at self discovery as one would expect from a memory loss arc.
    What restructuring? Anything official?

Fantastic Member

I know this is opinion, but since there are people who confuse opinion with fact, why not do a subjective ranking based on how willing people are to name their child after the characters?

1) Grayson (66th most popular boy's name between 2010-2017 with 49,323 registered with the SSA)
    *I acknowledge I'm cheating here as Richard places at 138 with 22,540 boys registered with that name

2) Jason (76th most popular boy's name between 2010-2017 with 42,981 boys registered with that name)

3) Damian (110th with 28,189 boys named after him, and oddly, this is the one name that can be directly correlated in popularity with the character)

4) Timothy (131th with 23,670 boys registered with that name)

5) Stephanie (not how I'd rank her, but her name's prime is in the past, only 13,884 girls were blessed with the defender of all things purple moniker between 2010-2017 putting her at 182 in name popularity)

Neither Carrie nor Helena made the US Social Security Administration's top 200 most popular names for this decade.

What's really fun—at least if you're a Damian fan or hater trying to figure out why Damian appears in everything, is all over the place, and writers and editors avoid saying negative things about him—is tracking his name's skyrocketing in popularity. In 2013, after his death in May, Damian spelt with an a shot to the top 100 boy's names in the US for the first time ever. Keep in mind, the plan was for Damian to stay dead as sites like this and other fandom places were full of his haters. Never mind that his comics were top sellers, and his presence in a comic guaranteed it would see a boost in sales, DC thought and planned on him staying dead. Hence, Harper Row's staring role in the Eternals.

As for me, Damian got me into comics, but I used to read all of the vintage Batman/Detective Comics/New Teen Titans as a munchkin, and bawled like the small child I was when I found out that the twenty odd bucks I and my various family and friends had scrounged up to save Jason hadn't worked so...

1) Jason. I just reread Detective 400 and remembered how much fun it was to roam the neighborhood parks and playgrounds with the neighbor kid pretending we were Jason and Talia. Jason's the only Robin to require me getting a tetanus shot, so he's obviously the best despite my adoration of Damian.

2) Tied between Dick and Damian. Classic Dick is so much like Damian at times it's hysterical. The fact that Bruce frequently randomly forgets about them for months at a time just is icing on the cake. Thanks to the joy of Comixology sales, I own most of Dick's appearances. Damian's the only one I generally pay full price for.

3) Stephanie. I loved her Robin/Spoiler solo, it's a shame they killed her off to promote her milquetoast sidekick. The book nosedived after she was written out of it, and looking at comichron.com, it appears I'm not the only one who felt that way.

4) The WAR kids. Boring book, but mildly entertaining.

5) Stephanie's sidekick, tied with Carrie, who's pretty cool but trapped inside Millerverse with the not so secretly a child molester Bruce Wayne. Luckily, she's a girl so she stayed safe in that regard unlike poor Jason and Dick.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/d...ames2010s.html
    http://www.behindthename.com/name/ja...0&type=percent

BANNED

Maybe if they just all referred to him as Richard, it might catch on in a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    What restructuring? Anything official?
    yes the bat-verse is getting a restructured. It was announced a while back and King just talked about it last week on his twitter saying he was nervous because he was going to have to write the whole thing and it was drawing close.

Maybe if they just all referred to him as Richard, it might catch on in a few years?
    I really hope they don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    yes the bat-verse is getting a restructured. It was announced a while back and King just talked about it last week on his twitter saying he was nervous because he was going to have to write the whole thing and it was drawing close.
    King is going to revamp the whole Bat-verse? I feel ill.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

King is going to revamp the whole Bat-verse? I feel ill.
    His run is supposed to have 2 long lasting impacts on the batverse going forward (according to his Twitter)