Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Wal Mart books ending

The Wal-Mart books are coming to an end but supposedly they're going to start putting out other collections that are available everywhere. With new content.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-walmart-comic...rtedly-ending/
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm in no way surprised by this decision given the recent controversy involving Lois Lane.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Like I said on the DC thread, I'm not surprised either given all the problems they've had with the line. It wasn't available in all areas. People in other countries couldn't get them. Wal-Mart did not do a very good job promoting them. The King thing was probably the last straw.
    Assassinate Putin!

The exclusive is just ending. Bendis & King's stories are going to be finished and collected and supposedly they are expanding the new content in the books from 12 to 48 pages and making them available in shops as well as Walmart.

So not so much as ending but evolving.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The idea was pretty great but there were some big execution flaws, as mentioned. I'm just glad to be getting a more efficient product for the content.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dido
    Successful and continuing. For those fans of the DC Giants at Walmart, have to clear up some misinformation making the rounds. Just want to let you know these books are doing well, so well that we are looking to expand the number of original pages in each book and include distribution to the direct market. Look for these and new titles later this year. The promise is to keep it one of the best values and reading experiences in the market. Best, DD
    From his Facebook. Doesn’t sound like they were a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm in no way surprised by this decision given the recent controversy involving Lois Lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Like I said on the DC thread, I'm not surprised either given all the problems they've had with the line. It wasn't available in all areas. People in other countries couldn't get them. Wal-Mart did not do a very good job promoting them. The King thing was probably the last straw.
    Oh please. No one actually cared about that “controversy”. Bat penis was a controversy. What happened with King was just the typical fanboy/girl freak out. We get that every time a new Bendis Superman issue comes out.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-25-2019 at 06:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    From his Facebook. Doesn’t sound like they were a failure..
    Didio's job isn't to say anything is a failure

Don't get me wrong, I totally approve of the new format. Especially considering that Wal-Mart half assed the whole thing from the get go. Having it available everywhere will be more convenient. I wonder if they'll keep giving each character their own books or will it just be one 100 page giant with a Superman story, a Batman story, a JL story and so on.
    Assassinate Putin!

There's a good write of this at Comics Beat.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-sets-t...cuts-and-more/

This tracks with what my local comic guy, who was there, has said as well with respect to the Walmart stuff and the cuts to DC's line. He said that all of it is great and something retailers have been asking for.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-26-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The exclusive is just ending. Bendis & King's stories are going to be finished and collected and supposedly they are expanding the new content in the books from 12 to 48 pages and making them available in shops as well as Walmart.

So not so much as ending but evolving.
    Sounds like the current ones will end, but they'll be immediately replaced by new ones with more original content. They'll reprint the shorter stories, so it's a full blown relaunch of the 100-Page Giants line.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sounds like the current ones will end, but they'll be immediately replaced by new ones with more original content. They'll reprint the shorter stories, so it's a full blown relaunch of the 100-Page Giants line.
    That's the way it looks, but I guess that isn't even clear yet. They didn't clarify if they were relaunching them with new #1's or just the future issues will be available more broadly and with slightly different content.

Well, it doesn't make sense to start in the direct market with issue 2 (some of them only just launched) or 9 (I think that's what Batman and Superman would be up to?), does it? They need to relaunch as #1s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Didio's job isn't to say anything is a failure
    True, but if they were a failure I doubt they’d be continuing. Compare what he posted with the New Age of Heroes line which has been a financial flop and most of the series are getting cancelled and not getting replaced. To me the fact that the Giants are continuing speaks well of their success.

Just got back from a trip to Wal-Mart to look for the latest issue of Superman and they were sold out. If I had to venture a guess, I would say the Wal-Mart books are popular with fans who don't like Jon and want a Super-book where he doesn't exist. So far, he hasn't shown up in them and it's heavily implied he doesn't exist there. Plus the Kents are still alive. Don't know if this is a full on universe or an anthology series but it would be great if they had one book for fans who don't like Jon. Turn the 100 page giants into that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Wal-Mart to look for the latest issue of Superman and they were sold out. If I had to venture a guess, I would say the Wal-Mart books are popular with fans who don't like Jon and want a Super-book where he doesn't exist. So far, he hasn't shown up in them and it's heavily implied he doesn't exist there. Plus the Kents are still alive. Don't know if this is a full on universe or an anthology series but it would be great if they had one book for fans who don't like Jon. Turn the 100 page giants into that.
    Ehhh that’s not it. The people buying these books probably don’t know who Jon is, or even know that much about Superman himself. That’s why the Giants are there, to reel in people who will never set foot in a comic book shop. The average person buying these books is probably buying them with the mindset of:

“Oh cool it’s one of those superhero books. Little Timmy loves Marvel/DC movies. I’ll buy him one book from the store.”

Or at the very least that’s the reason Didio is pushing these outside market initiatives.