Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What If Animated Series Overseen by Feige

Apparently there is a What If animated series for Disney+ that will be overseen by Kevin Feige in the works. The author of the article claimed this is verified by three separate sources, but as with everything on the internet, a little healthy dubiousness wouldn't be inappropriate. It would be awesome, though, if true. I love the What If comics.

Link to article
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-12-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Please God, please adapt What If The Avengers Had Never Been.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

LMAO, I read the thread title as a suggestion and not a description and my initial reaction was "Feige sounds a little busy to be overseeing an animated series in addition to all his other projects."

I hope the animation quality/storytelling is at least on the level of Young Justice or the DC Animated flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    LMAO, I read the thread title as a suggestion and not a description and my initial reaction was "Feige sounds a little busy to be overseeing an animated series in addition to all his other projects."

I hope the animation quality/storytelling is at least on the level of Young Justice or the DC Animated flicks.
    LOL, the millisecond after posting I realized I should have put quotations around What If. Ugh. In my defense, I've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning.

I want What If Everyone in the Universe Had Beards.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I've been thinking about Marvel Studios producing animations for a while now, but never actually thought it could come true. This is not exactly what I pictured, though, as it apparently takes place in universes spinning off of the MCU. I would prefer animations that don't necessarily have to follow the rules of that particular universe and can be their own thing. Anyway, this could be a game changer for Marvel in the animation department. Marvel Studios is known for its greaty quality content, so I would not expect anything less than quality animation. And I gotta say, if this really happens, then things are not looking very good for Marvel Television. It already feels like Marvel Studios is stealing their thunder by producing original live action TV series, but now possibly animations too? It might get to a point where Marvel TV becomes a redundant part of the company, 'cause Marvel Studios is already doing everything they do.

This is so exciting to me I love What If stories and parallel worlds.

Spectacular Member

A What If? series? Seems impractical without a point of reference.
    I mean -- will it be based off of comic storylines or MCU storylines? MCU would be extremely limited at this point.

And if it's based off the comics, wouldn't you first have to tell the original story and where you are in continuity, before saying 'what if'?

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    A What If? series? Seems impractical without a point of reference.
    I mean -- will it be based off of comic storylines or MCU storylines? MCU would be extremely limited at this point.

And if it's based off the comics, wouldn't you first have to tell the original story and where you are in continuity, before saying 'what if'?
    The article explains that they take place in the the MCU universe, Earth-19999

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    The article explains that they take place in the the MCU universe, Earth-19999
    Sure, taking place in the MCU Universe, but not canon to the MCU.
    Also -- it mentions
    For example, one of the episodes will adapt What If? Vol.1 #47, which explored the idea of “What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?”
    In the MCU -- that makes no sense as there was never a situation where Don Blake had to find the hammer to become Thor.

So while it may be tied to the MCU, at least this story is purely comic based - which goes to my point. You have to establish a base of 'this is how things happened for real' and this is the 'what if' story where something changed. The general public is probably not going to know about the original story unless they preface the What If story with a short recap of how the story originally unfolded.

In the MCU -- there are a number of plots that can be turned into a what if scenario -- it's just a much smaller inventory to draw from. I'm sure you can come up with a season or two worth of stories from existing MCU films.

I'd expect there would have to be some mix of MCU and comic based stories.

Avengers fail to stop Invasion of NYC. Or Iron Man dies when he nukes the armada in space.
    Captain America not lost in WWII - or discovered and revived in a different time period.
    Someone else claims Thor's hammer when he's exiled from Asgard.

Yeah, that'd be interesting. What if Steve was revived in the 80s, and worked with Ant-Man and the Wasp (Hank and Janet)? What if he was revived in the 90s, and was around for the events of Captain Marvel? What if he didn't get revived until after the Snap? How would events up to that point have played out without him?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BAS View Post
    Sure, taking place in the MCU Universe, but not canon to the MCU.
    Also -- it mentions

In the MCU -- that makes no sense as there was never a situation where Don Blake had to find the hammer to become Thor.

So while it may be tied to the MCU, at least this story is purely comic based - which goes to my point. You have to establish a base of 'this is how things happened for real' and this is the 'what if' story where something changed. The general public is probably not going to know about the original story unless they preface the What If story with a short recap of how the story originally unfolded.

In the MCU -- there are a number of plots that can be turned into a what if scenario -- it's just a much smaller inventory to draw from. I'm sure you can come up with a season or two worth of stories from existing MCU films.

I'd expect there would have to be some mix of MCU and comic based stories.

Avengers fail to stop Invasion of NYC. Or Iron Man dies when he nukes the armada in space.
    Captain America not lost in WWII - or discovered and revived in a different time period.
    Someone else claims Thor's hammer when he's exiled from Asgard.
    I mean, yes, you are correct, they are not going to be 'canon' but the What If scenarios will be based on the MCU interpretation of things. For example, it would be jarring to me, primarily a comics reader (I watch and love the MCU films but I prefer the comics), to see a 'what if Captain America never went down in the ice' and have him growing old with the Howling Commandos when in the comics we know Cap's WW2 team to be the Invaders. So the what ifs will use MCU canon to break their canon. The details they changed in the MCU, like the Howling Commandos vs. the Invaders, will be present. That's what I meant when I said they will be based on Earth-19999. I hope you're right, though, and they do bring some comics aspects into this. Like Don Blake.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-12-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

"What If Starlord Had Stuck With the Plan?" and "What If Thor Had Aimed for the Head?"

In the spirit of What If? they would end with Thanos winning anyway. Because What If?s usually had a twist that turned what seemed like a positive change on its head.

Same would be true if they had "What If Tony Refused to Sign the Accords?" or "What If Cap Agreed to Sign the Accords?" Civil War averted, but it leads to something worse. Maybe a scenario where Endgame doesn't undo Thanos' snap.

I was interested until I saw this would be limited to just MCU stuff.
    As much as I love the MCU, its pretty limited in terms of characters and possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I was interested until I saw this would be limited to just MCU stuff.
    As much as I love the MCU, its pretty limited in terms of characters and possibilities.
    Like you I wish they would do one for the comics, but I can think of a few seasons worth of material for Earth-19999.

Others have listed some great suggestions above but here are a few more:

What if Odin hadn't hid the tesseract on earth. Would Skull have been as prosperous in WW2? Would the events of Avengers 2012 be focused on the time stone instead?
    What if Janet Van Dyne was never lost in the Quantum Realm? Would Hank still be Ant-Man?
    What if Peggy Carter discovered SHIELD had been infiltrated by Hydra earlier?

There are a number of things you can do.