Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Always enjoyed What If. Let me dip in on characters I was not up to date on.

I wonder if they will do What ifs around the MCU beyond the movies. Netflix shows, Agent Carter, AOS. other cartoons.

Kieron Gillen's idea a few years ago about what if Tony had given Yinsen the Iron Man armor and sacrificed himself to allow him to get away would make an interesting episode.

So is Kevin Feige basically spearheading all the Marvel content on Disney+ ?

All joking aside, a "What If" series sounds like it could be pretty cool depending on how they handle it.

I do hope they go beyond the MCU though...like, could you imagine a "What If" episode centered around the Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers? Or Wolverine and the X-Men? It's probably more affordable then expecting them to getting the MCU actors back for voice roles in a cartoon unless this has as much budget as the TV shows (granted, Feige is spearheading it, so it just might).
    Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I hope the animation quality/storytelling is at least on the level of Young Justice or the DC Animated flicks.
    Hopefully the quality is up to the level of a DC Animated production.

I think it'd be great if these were handled like the "DC Showcase" shorts WB did a while back, just with a "What If" bent to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Please God, please adapt What If The Avengers Had Never Been.
    Oh there are plenty fo juicy one about X-men too! Albeit the best, and often darkest were the ones featuring Spidey and FF. They really love to push the boundaries with these poor sobs with what if.

BANNED

Whether or not this cartoon succeeds will depend largely on the production values. The animation quality of recent Marvel cartoons has been subpar to say the least, cheap and nasty with no shading and only the bare minimum of frames used. I hope that Disney would give Feige a bigger budget this time around but we'll see.

Speaking of which, having Disney+ as the platform also represents other problems. It remains to be seen if Disney can compete directly with the streaming giants Netflix and Amazon, they've been at this game for a long time and Disney normally has a lot of trouble adapting to new technology. Be a shame if Feige made a MCU cartoon and nobody signed-up to watch.

Spectacular Member

What if... the Netflix Defenders were included in the Battle of New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Whether or not this cartoon succeeds will depend largely on the production values. The animation quality of recent Marvel cartoons has been subpar to say the least, cheap and nasty with no shading and only the bare minimum of frames used. I hope that Disney would give Feige a bigger budget this time around but we'll see.
    I think it says something that even the storyboard artists who worked on the Marvel cartoons are aware the animation isn't that good.

I would like to see them show all sorts of what if's, even stories not in the comics Like What If Punisher kept the war machine armor. Even though he had the armor during marvel legacy. I think it would be interesting to see where the story would go. Another what if venom possessed the punisher, what if secret wars 25 years later. The list goes on.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I said it elsewhere but... ‘What If: Avengers 1987’.

Tony Stark (17 years old and recently graduated from MIT)
    Hank Pym
    Janet Pym
    The Ancient One
    T’Chaka
    Yondu or Ego
    Mar-Vell
    Winter Soldier
    Peggy Carter: Director Of SHIELD

I hope their animation is better on this one, I can't stand their current style

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it says something that even the storyboard artists who worked on the Marvel cartoons are aware the animation isn't that good.
    I still don't get why it's so bad when MCU is on the top of the world. It makes no sense to me.

BANNED

What if Dr. Strange never crashed.
    What if T'Chaka brought Erik back with him. (civil war would of been completely different)
    What if Carol never left Earth and Captain America didn't defreeze until the end of Infinity War.
    What if Stark's parents were never killed.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I still don't get why it's so bad when MCU is on the top of the world. It makes no sense to me.
    Well, I mean, part of the problem with the cartoons is how much they chase the MCU, but at the very least I don't think that has any bearing on less then stellar production values of in-house Marvel cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    What if Dr. Strange never crashed.
    What if T'Chaka brought Erik back with him. (civil war would of been completely different)
    What if Carol never left Earth and Captain America didn't defreeze until the end of Infinity War.
    What if Stark's parents were never killed.
    Stuff like this makes me wonder if they would be able to get any of the actors back to voice these "What If's," if they're going to be based around MCU events.

I mean...Michael B. Jordan has done voice work before with Genlock and was even Cyborg in a Flashpoint animated movie, so that's probably not too off base.

I guess if they push as much budget into this cartoon as they do with the live action shows, and maybe make it a prestige format type thing, they might be able to pull it off.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    They don't see it as anything they have to invest money in, and to a certain extent, they're kind of right. The kids already like the characters from the movies and they were able to get kids to watch them no matter what. There's a lower quality bar for children, especially when these shows are just glorified toy ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post

Speaking of which, having Disney+ as the platform also represents other problems. It remains to be seen if Disney can compete directly with the streaming giants Netflix and Amazon, they've been at this game for a long time and Disney normally has a lot of trouble adapting to new technology. Be a shame if Feige made a MCU cartoon and nobody signed-up to watch.
    I can't imagine this does not hit the ground running. Apple on the other hand with not much of a library could have to work.