Default Wonder Woman # 66 preview

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That I want a new creative team.
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I like what I'm seeing. I'm worried Giganta won't show up until the last couple pages though...

Really good cover, really bad alternate, Cary Nord is looking better this time around. I'm happy with the direction but wonder if it's too politically aggressive for some. Barely a panel in there's a thinly veiled opinion on climate change, but I think that's completely appropriate in a Wonder Woman book.

Given that this is a three-issue arc, there is plenty of time for Giganta action even if she only shows up by the end of this issue (which is how I expect it will go).

Nord's art looks better in this issue, but from the final page of the preview it looks like he is still least interested in drawing Diana. But we'll have to see how it goes. I'm also somewhat surprised that Aphrodite suddenly is in jeans and a blouse, after we last saw her in the swan t-shirt when she went on the quest. Now, if any goddess should be allowed to switch clothes on a whim, it's Aphrodite (and Athena), but it still seems a bit odd.

I like how Wilson develops and uses Eirene, Damon, and Cadmus. They feel like a much more natural and fun inclusion in her supporting cast than the earlier attempt to transplant the Oddfellows from the movie. That one forgot everything that made the movie Oddfellows interesting and engaging.

ETA: I also remember that the preview pages for Nord's first issue also looked very good, but then it sharply turned downhill.

And politics certainly has its place in a Wonder Woman title. Why, Marston had her deal with things like public health, unions, strikes, and social activism before she even had her own title!
    Last edited by kjn; 03-12-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I think why people are disliking this is because there is never really enough world building. We don't see her what she does in her pastime. We don't get to see her in her city or town.

Fantastic Member

I think it's only a comment on climate change if you're a climate change denier. Otherwise, that part of the country WAS on fire with whole towns getting burned up and people dying trying to escape in their cars. Even if you don't believe in climate change, fires on the west coast are a fact of life.

I definitely like the art. I think Nord is so much better that the others we've been getting. Even sketchy I still prefer the faces, the forms, the layout. I love that pic of Aphrodite on the swan plane. She's so casual, it really says something about her laissez-faire attitude. She might as well be on a divan.

As for the creatures- they still don't have any real personality. Too much of the text is taken up by plot reminders or throwaway lines like the pegasi saying what's obvious- he's flying higher to get a better look. I know people were irritated by Azzarello and his punning, but as least his gods oozed with humor and callousness, and personality. There's nothing to suggest the three (and their companion) are interesting in any way.

But I'm not ready to give this up. There's enough interesting that I feel it's worth it.