Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

In my lifetime, Reagan oversaw illegal arms deals, shattered Unions, defunded mental health care and shuttered facilities that then flooded the streets with mentally ill people, supported and profited from the rise to power of the Religious Reich and their lust for power and dead LGBT+ people, ignored the AIDS crisis, and gave a free pass to greedy shitbags to rape the system of everything they can get their hands on and horde it away at the expense of everyone else.

Bush 1 was weak and ineffectual, for the most part, but DID give us the first Iraq War that went SO swimmingly...

Bush 2 ignored advice regarding an imminent attack by Saudi-funded terrorists, did nothing in the hours after 9/11, presided over the distribution of patently false 'intelligence's designed to drum up fear and Jingoistic 'patriotism' as justification to invade the wrong country to make up for his father's failure to conquer that nation years early, lost OODLES of money (like, LITERALLY lost pallets of money...or so we were told...), allowed Dick Fucking Cheney to direct the war in whatever way profited Cheney the most, and was basically a puppet for the worst elements of the Republican party.

And now Trump...who I don't think I need to speak about in any detail, since we are constantly bombarded by his selfishness, greed, rage, hate, racism, sexism, homophobia, nepotism, and petty tyranny.

Worst of all time? That's subjective, but worst in my lifetime? There's my top 4.
    There is no such thing as an ethical Republican anymore. Period.

Astonishing Member

I know it's still recent but George W Bush will be in the running when all is said and done. I can think of 3 points that I find far too compelling

1. The Iraq War. When this is all said and done it will go down as the worst foreign policy endevor since Vietnam, in reality it's length probably makes it far worse.

2. He inherited a booming economy, his term ended with the economy collapsing into the worst Recession and economic downturn since the Great Depression. It obviously wasn't worse than the Depression, but Bush owns the worst economic downturn in 70 years (it will probably be the worst of the 100 year period since the Depression if we are being honest or hopefully lucky)

3. 9/11 is the worst attack on American soil in history and the most significant event of it's kind since Pearl Harbor.

The 3 features of his Presidency might be the 3 most impactful events in this country in over a 50 year period or more. They all happened under one guy.

That's before you get into things like Patriot Act, his horrendous tax cuts, how he alienated allies like the French, how his administration lied about the War in the first place, the Haliburton shit.

There's few Presidents you can say that failed so colossally on keeping the country safe, maintaining the economy, and making strategic foreign policy decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I know it's still recent but George W Bush will be in the running when all is said and done. I can think of 3 points that I find far too compelling

1. The Iraq War. When this is all said and done it will go down as the worst foreign policy endevor since Vietnam, in reality it's length probably makes it far worse.

2. He inherited a booming economy, his term ended with the economy collapsing into the worst Recession and economic downturn since the Great Depression. It obviously wasn't worse than the Depression, but Bush owns the worst economic downturn in 70 years (it will probably be the worst of the 100 year period since the Depression if we are being honest or hopefully lucky)

3. 9/11 is the worst attack on American soil in history and the most significant event of it's kind since Pearl Harbor.

The 3 features of his Presidency might be the 3 most impactful events in this country in over a 50 year period or more. They all happened under one guy.

That's before you get into things like Patriot Act, his horrendous tax cuts, how he alienated allies like the French, how his administration lied about the War in the first place, the Haliburton shit.

There's few Presidents you can say that failed so colossally on keeping the country safe, maintaining the economy, and making strategic foreign policy decisions.
    Amazing! You and I are on the same page on something! *high fives and shares a Coke*
    There is no such thing as an ethical Republican anymore. Period.

Also, we had Obama to fix GW Bush's mess soon after. Hoover inherited the collapse caused by Cooledge's policies and made it worse for four years until FDR could start fixing it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Also, we had Obama to fix GW Bush's mess soon after. Hoover inherited the collapse caused by Cooledge's policies and made it worse for four years until FDR could start fixing it.
    Hoover believed in laissez faire capitalism (unregulated capitalism) so he refused to regulate or directly interfere in the economy which he considered a matter of the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Hoover believed in laissez faire capitalism (unregulated capitalism) so he refused to regulate or directly interfere in the economy which he considered a matter of the private sector.
    As did Cooledge. And both nearly destroyed the economy. Just as G W Bush refused to deal with the rampant Housing Bubble and the Credit Default Swap fraud happening under his watch.

Republicans ruin the Economy, Democrats fix their mess. The way it's been for decades. Trump's doing his best to sink us now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

like many have said, it's too soon to say if trump will be counted as among the worst but he's sure enough trying. i've been studying presidents since i was in middle school. never before i have i seen a more corrupt, unfit, and incompetent president. he still has two years to turn things around but he'd have to do everything short of peace in the middle east before he can come close to being considered even average. the only good thing about trump's run is that it made people appreciate obama's run. he's not the best but he was good for the time.

and count me in for Buchanan.

also, jackson deserves to be on the list. sure we had no debt during his time but he was still responsible for the trail of tears.

We can easily say that, while Trump may not be able to wreck things like other on the"worst" list did. He is the most corrupt, incompetent and ignorant man to sit in the White House.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    like many have said, it's too soon to say if trump will be counted as among the worst but he's sure enough trying. i've been studying presidents since i was in middle school. never before i have i seen a more corrupt, unfit, and incompetent president. he still has two years to turn things around but he'd have to do everything short of peace in the middle east before he can come close to being considered even average. the only good thing about trump's run is that it made people appreciate obama's run. he's not the best but he was good for the time.

and count me in for Buchanan.

also, jackson deserves to be on the list. sure we had no debt during his time but he was still responsible for the trail of tears.
    Andrew Jackson is also a slave owner who never freed his slaves after hid death. He may be a bad human being but he is a competent POTUS. He was the only president to keep America debt-free. Under his administration the U.S. government was able to pay its national debt. His accomplishment had a lasting impact. That is why his picture is on the twenty-dollar bill.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Andrew Jackson is also a slave owner who never freed his slaves after hid death. He may be a bad human being but he is a competent POTUS. He was the only president to keep America debt-free. Under his administration the U.S. government was able to pay its national debt. His accomplishment had a lasting impact. That is why his picture is on the twenty-dollar bill.
    he still forceably removed millions of native americans off their land, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children. and they have long memories. all my native american friends don't have or accept 20 dollar bills. not saying that every native american is like that. just very telling.

Jackson's policies helped cultivate the worst economic depression in American history. It makes Bush II's exit look like good.

he still forceably removed millions of native americans off their land, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children. and they have long memories. all my native american friends don't have or accept 20 dollar bills. not saying that every native american is like that. just very telling.
    It was also done in direct defiance of a Supreme Court decision. Anyone who claims to care about constitutionalism should be concerned by such a precedent even if they're willing to overlook the morality of the forced relocation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Carter also deserves a bit of a mention. The AG opinion that changed the way government shutdowns operate came from his appointee for starters.
    Jimmy Carter may be a decent human being but an incompetent POTUS. He failed to resolve the US embassy hostage situation in Iran.

After the presidency, Carter did some good humanitarian work for which he earned a Nobel peace prize

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

Remember that when he died, Jackson's biggest regret was that he didn't kill more people. Well, at least one person in particular.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Jimmy Carter may be a decent human being but an incompetent POTUS. He failed to resolve the US embassy hostage situation in Iran.

After the presidency, Carter did some good humanitarian work for which he earned a Nobel peace prize
    Carter was a better president than conventional wisdom gives him credit for, and were it not for a sandstorm, we might not have a Reagan presidency. He was in advance of his time on many issues, like climate change, and we'd be far better off had he remained in office.. It was with Reagan that we began the approach to the soaring inequality, deficits that we now continue to see, to say nothing of the stuff Zindrel noted above.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-15-2019 at 01:51 AM.