Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I actually dont think Bush as a person was ever the problem. Unlike Trump he seems like a well meaning but gullible guy who honestly bought into everything his advisers told him. The problem is the advisors were scumbags.

Gordon Brown being blamed was due to his involvement with the treasury and selling off our gold reserves for nothing. Said reserves might have aided us in the initial recession.
    Bush definitely wanted his stupid tax cuts, he definitely wanted the Iraq War to settle a score for daddy, his negligence over the economy shouldn’t be excused. He gets a pass because he’s likeable and has charisma

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think the vision of Reagan as an empty suit was part of the opposition to him in the 80s, and I think it was a sincere underestimation of the guy. He was a driving force behind his policies and, I think, more hands on than many realized if his correspondence at the Reagan library is anything to go by.
    I've never heard Thatcher being described as an empty suit either. She was a gifted and ferociously hard working politician. Just imagine what kind of drive it must have taken for a woman from a comfortable background, but not the immensely privileged background of many MPs, to become leader of the Conservative party and eventually Prime Minister in the 70s, given the level of sexism she faced in society and in her own party.

As a former Conservative (I loathe them now), my attitude to Thatcher is a lot different to how it was in the 80s and 90s Nowadays I do think she did some serious damage to the country at the time, although she and her administration certainly were not the sole causes of the changes that happened to the country. Curiously, even her admirers misunderstand her legacy. She was actually for much of her administration a fairly cautious and pragmatic politician - it's only when she had begun to believe her own hype and saw herself as infallible that she went totally off the deep end and alienated most of her old allies, such as Geoffrey Howe.

In some ways she was almost as destructive out of office than she was in it - the Prime Minister of the Single European Act betrayed her own history by becoming ultra Eurosceptic towards the end and providing a Eurosceptic source of opposition which helped cripple the administration of John Major, her decent successor, and poisoned the party into becoming the absurd divided Euro-hating mess which in turn has led to our endless Brexit purgatory.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 03-18-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I imagine any world leader has a constant stream of terrorist threats around the corner, most of which come to nothing. I'm not sure I can blame the president for not knowing which ones were genuine.
    It is much more than this. I agree no President can stop a terrorist. But the first year of the Bush Presidency they purposely ignored terrorism and repeated warning from law enforcement and senior officials.
    Cheney was in charge of the "terrorist task force" and they never met, not once before 9/11. They ignored the danger.
    But this is just one among the abysmal record of that administration. Bush was not a "good guy'
    He killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people in a War that was criminal, and approved torture. He seemed to lack empathy for suffering in others. He also lied regularly, and not Presidential lies, pathological lies.
    Just because Trump is the most loathsome individual to sit in the White House doen't make Bush a nice guy. He was one of the worst President in History.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Crippling the north still baffles me to this day.

Crippling the north still baffles me to this day.
    Of whom are we speaking?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Of whom are we speaking?
    Thatcher. By all means kill the coal industry if its inefficent and unprofitable....but you rebuild what you destroy.

Thatcher. By all means kill the coal industry if its inefficent and unprofitable....but you rebuild what you destroy.
    Oh yes, Thatcher was a horror. When you said crippling the North, I thought you meant US Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Trump is too incompetent to be as dangerous as Bush. Bush was smart enough to surround himself with people who could get shit done.
    Trump fires the smart ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Trump fires the smart ones.
    Worked for China for a couple of millennia. And the Romans. Well, if you replace "fire" with "kill"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.