Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    To be fair, the same could be said for what Christopher Reeve did with Superman, who managed to elevate even the crummy scripts he was given in the later films, much like Lynda Carter was able to do during the admit-ably pretty silly Wonder Woman TV show. Same goes for George Reeves.
    Agreed. I also managed to like Henry Cavill as Superman despite Zack Snyder. I think many did. People like the guy in the role but feel he was not given the right material to work with. Same thing with Brandon Routh.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Agreed. I also managed to like Henry Cavill as Superman despite Zack Snyder. I think many did. People like the guy in the role but feel he was not given the right material to work with. Same thing with Brandon Routh.
    I didn't dislike Routh, but it did feel like WB went too far out of their way to find the closest Reeve clone that they could.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I didn't dislike Routh, but it did feel like WB went too far out of their way to find the closest Reeve clone that they could.
    Bryan Singer chose him. He wanted to make a love letter to Donner's Superman..

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Bryan Singer chose him. He wanted to make a love letter to Donner's Superman..
    Which would have been fine had the movie come out in the '80s, but CB movies had changed quite a bit by this century.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I really liked Cavill as Superman. He just wasn't given good material to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Which would have been fine had the movie come out in the '80s, but CB movies had changed quite a bit by this century.
    I don't think the time it came out would have impacted it, considering iconic the Donner Superman is, more that the execution wasn't enough to make good use of it for a modern Superman film.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, I really liked Cavill as Superman. He just wasn't given good material to work with.
    I liked the story in Man of Steel, but it needed more heart and joy. Bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the time it came out would have impacted it, considering iconic the Donner Superman is, more that the execution wasn't enough to make good use of it for a modern Superman film.
    yeah the execution and overall story and lack of new and exciting super villain. They could have introduced Metallo or Bizarro for Superman to fight instead of a giant rock to push..

Boisterously Confused

...They could have introduced Metallo or Bizarro for Superman to fight instead of a giant rock to push..
    I'd like to see Metallo built up over several films into a major menace. Film 1: Roger Corbin is little more than a random goon who gets mashed up in the climax. Film 2: he's given his cyborg form, powered by uranium, (perhaps by the Ultra-Humanite), and he's still no match for Superman, but at the end of the film is retrofitted by Luthor to use Kryptonite as his power source. Film 3: he's the central antagonist, out to murder Superman, and one of the only people on Earth that might be able to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IMO, the only way it would be acceptable to me is if the character in question was under the control of something or somebody. Otherwise, regardless of the creator, it would be ludicrous. If DC wants to use a different character, just retire or even kill off the other one instead. At least I could buy that.
    Well, I talk a lot about wanting to see a more complex, involved ethical spectrum in DC. Something more interesting than "white hat black hat" morality. So it'd be a little hypocritical of me to not include my favorite.

Dont get me wrong, evil Superman is not something i *want* to see and there's no way DC could do it well enough to make me accept it. But for me personally, there's a path there I can recognize. I can see the seeds in Clark that, in the right circumstances, would put him down a different path.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Peacemaker.

When I first read about him, I thought he sounded kinda awesome. A Punisher-ish guy who goes after criminals that legitimately might get away with their crimes, could be a medium to explore international conflicts, etc.

Instead we get a guy who's super crazy because some writer wanted to our Comedian the Comedian with the template character.

He wasn't bad in Blue Beetle, don't get me wrong, but he's never been used to his full potential