Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

..not interested in Madame Web unless it is Julia Carpenter. I'm very sure that "spider-woman" is being reserved for Jessica Drew.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Blade was the first (or one of the first) M-rated high-budgeted superhero movie (although the word superhero is ambiguous in this case), so there was curiosity.
    There really wasn't. 99.99% of the audience had no idea Blade was based on a Marvel comic. People went to see it because it was a cool looking action movie with vampires and Wesley Snipes.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Another unfair comparison.
    Blade was the first (or one of the first) M-rated high-budgeted superhero movie (although the word superhero is ambiguous in this case), so there was curiosity.
    Unexpected success and word of mouth and, more importantly, good quality in both production and acting did the rest.
    He was still a D-lister, point is that he was a nobody that the producers decided to use, and it worked.

Iron man was never an A-lister like Spider-Man, but was popular enough to have his long running series, videogames, a cartoon show (which was popular, although not as much as the Spidey and X-Men ones). So the notion that an Iron man movie was supposed to be deemed to fail is one of those internet lies that became truth once they are spread and repeated thousands of times.
    And did I say it would fail? The cartoon was decent but forgettable, Tony was in games like Capcom's fighters and that Capcom side scroller about Infinity Gems, but in MvC1 he was forgettable enough to be replaced with War Machine, which few cared or even noticed (He did come back in MvC2, but so did a lot of characters), so there wasn't much going for him in the general public, and on the comic book fans side, Civil War had happened, and it soured Tony on a lot of people, so there were less people caring about Tony, doesn't mean that the movie had an uphill battle like a D-lister, just that odds were more against him than usual, and it worked regardless.

But Morbius?
    He never had a "craze" like Venom had in the 90s.
    Personally I don't find him a very compelling villain worth of a solo movie. I can see him work in an ensemble movie (Sons of Midnight, interacting with Ghost Rider, Blade, Doctor Strange, etc), but not in a solo, especially if there is no Spider-Man in it.
    His story is very generic too, some dumb experiment that turned him into a monster, which wasn't new even when he was introduced.

Madame Web is the typical example of "damsel in distress", the few memorable stories she had, she was to be saved by Spider-Man. She is a decent support character, but not a compelling protagonist.
    She also has barely anything to fight against, and they'll definitely have to make a supporting cast for her, I'm betting they'll bring Spider-Society.

Could these movies be successful? Yes, they could.
    Will they succeed? This is a question only time will answer. For now I have my doubts.
    I'm about 95% sure they'll fail, you need more creativity to give either Morbius or Madame Web something, anything, since you can't just choose the basics of the character and make a movie around that, and Hollywood can be a creative black hole, so yeah, if just one of them works it's already a miracle, I don't know if there's a word if both of them work, maybe a super miracle? Lol

I see the Sony-verse as in the same place as Universal's Dark Universe. Those could be interesting characters but I'm not sure you could sustain sequels or have them play a role in a larger tapestry like Marvel or DC.

Granted Penny Dreadful showed that the Dark Universe could have worked so maybe Sony has a shot even if it's a long-shot?

I guess using the c-listers like Morbius/Rocket Racer/Solo etc is like "Kwannon" in Fallen Angels. Your gonna have to build them up with not a solo material to work with.

I don't mind using the Spider people but I don't want a whole universe full of them. So I'm ok with mixing them with the C-listers and using them more sparingly.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-29-2019 at 02:24 PM.