Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Sony's Universe Of Marvel Characters

Yes, that is the official name for Sony's big initiative for it's licensed Spider-Man projects

Sony is essentially internally auditioning its more than 900 Spider-Man-adjacent characters, to which it has attached the moniker Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters.

According to Hopkins, the team is “pretty far down the road in terms of working through which characters we think could be their own star of a series.”

Disney has long been drawing from the Marvel well. With its absorption of 21st Century Fox, the Burbank-based giant will soon have “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men,” leaving Sony as the only studio rival with licensing rights to Marvel characters.

“We’re developing a lot of Marvel-related content, and I think we’ll be out in the market very soon with something really, really big and transformational for us, because we’ve not done any shows with Marvel before, with Marvel IP,” says Hopkins. “So that’s a big piece of development that we’re onto.”

There’s plenty of precedent for serializing small-screen comic-book dramas, even without any superhero headliners. Think “Gotham” without Batman, “The Gifted” sans Wolverine, or all the Avenger-less Marvel series that Disney has developed, such as “Agents of SHIELD” and “Jessica Jones.” Plus, the box office success of “Venom” and the recent Oscar-winning glow of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” have bolstered confidence that there’s an appetite for Sony’s slice of Marvel-town.
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/features...gy-1203160502/

BANNED

My picks:

The Daily Bugle -- A news-show with Jameson and others, showing the origins and others, and so on.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

That thread and article that mentioned Sony working on animated spinoff about ITSV characters turns out to be true. Of course that does bring up how exactly do the TV rights work anymore

BANNED

Wow how straightforward of Sony to label their side of the Marvel Universe. One would wonder what would happen if if Universal Studios did the same thing with theirs rights to the Hulk and his mythos ?

I just wanted a Disney version of Spider-Man that was made by the actual Disney animation company is that too much to ask for ?

Sony really is going to milk this property until the cows come home .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sony really is going to milk this property until the cows come home .
    Or unless by a chance to fate they get too full of themselves and mess things up again so that Disney and Marvel can swoop in to save the day.

BANNED

Sony Pictures have no choice but to do this. Spider-Man is their "Star Wars" and major money spinning franchise. If they don't find a way to monetize it, they will no longer be able to last as a company and the parent Sony company would scuttle them and sell them off to someone else.

If they don't create stuff out of Spider-Man, Marvel/Disney will get the rights back.

...And personally, I actually think it's a good thing if the rights remain with Sony. ITSV for instance would never have been made by Disney/Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    ...And personally, I actually think it's a good thing if the rights remain with Sony. ITSV for instance would never have been made by Disney/Marvel.
    Neither would The Spectacular Spider-Man, evidentially.

Spectacular Member

God, I hope for more scarlet spider representation and something for agent venom

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

They should of called it Sony's Spider-Verse

BANNED

Spider-Verse is TM of Marvel Comics and there might be restrictions on what they call it or how they brand it and so on. Like using it for their movie or a movie series is fine, but calling it Sony's Spider-Verse might be a little too far. Spider-Man belongs to Marvel, and Sony has to mention and put that and not hide the fact. So Sony's Universe of Marvel emphasizes that.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Spider-Verse is TM of Marvel Comics and there might be restrictions on what they call it or how they brand it and so on. Like using it for their movie or a movie series is fine, but calling it Sony's Spider-Verse might be a little too far. Spider-Man belongs to Marvel, and Sony has to mention and put that and not hide the fact. So Sony's Universe of Marvel emphasizes that.
    How bout the Spidey Sony-Verse? That any better?

BANNED

Sony Pictures have no choice but to do this. Spider-Man is their "Star Wars" and major money spinning franchise. If they don't find a way to monetize it, they will no longer be able to last as a company and the parent Sony company would scuttle them and sell them off to someone else.

If they don't create stuff out of Spider-Man, Marvel/Disney will get the rights back.

Honestly how can anyone at Disney and Marvel not see the
    Greatness of the Spider-Man mythos and not try to make a proper profit on it ?

I don't know if it would be Sony or Disney, but I wish someone would make really great Spider-Man DTV videos like WB/DC does for Batman. Seriously, could you imagine a Spider-Man movie done with the visuals and care of Batman: Under the Red Hood or the Dark Knight Returns? I'd be one happy Spidey fan.