Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if it would be Sony or Disney, but I wish someone would make really great Spider-Man DTV videos like WB/DC does for Batman. Seriously, could you imagine a Spider-Man movie done with the visuals and care of Batman: Under the Red Hood or the Dark Knight Returns? I'd be one happy Spidey fan.
    They might well do that...

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Spider-Man 2099 would be a GREAT TV show. Especially with all the animation they used for Spiderverse.

I'm curious how the lesser known characters are gonna fare and whether or not Sony could turn straw into gold.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm curious how the lesser known characters are gonna fare and whether or not Sony could turn straw into gold.
    Venom and ITSV are pretty terrific movies. I actually do think that Venom is a genuinely good movie and a pretty original take on the genre.

Venom is totes getting a sequel. ITSV too.

As for TV series, I think Mary Jane Watson could carry a TV show, as could Jameson and the Daily Bugle (you have stuff like the Pulse and many Jameson-centric stories). You could do an entire TV show based on Superior Foes of Spider-Man, you know the smaller world of B or C-List villains and the novelty being their angst about how low they are on the totem pole...whether Boomerang could fit there is iffy since I don't know if he might be included among Spider-Man villains and be part of the rights.

My real advice to Sony would be however....kickstart new live action movies. I would say greenlight a second trilogy of Spider-Man movies focusing on an adult Peter Parker which would stand apart from the MCU. They might be unwilling to do that given that it could be seen as a "dick move" to the MCU but that's something you can do and distinguish yourself from Tom Holland's Peter. Or do a live-action Miles Morales movie.

Felicia Hardy will be difficult because she's a copy of Selina Kyle and unlike say Thanos and Darkseid where the former beat the latter to the punch...there are two iconic versions of Catwoman already on screen (Michelle Pfeiffer, Anne Hathaway) along with ones on TV (Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar).

Honestly Sony won me over with Into the Spider-Verse. I am now perfectly ok with them having the rights

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Venom and ITSV are pretty terrific movies. I actually do think that Venom is a genuinely good movie and a pretty original take on the genre.

Venom is totes getting a sequel. ITSV too.

As for TV series, I think Mary Jane Watson could carry a TV show, as could Jameson and the Daily Bugle (you have stuff like the Pulse and many Jameson-centric stories). You could do an entire TV show based on Superior Foes of Spider-Man, you know the smaller world of B or C-List villains and the novelty being their angst about how low they are on the totem pole...whether Boomerang could fit there is iffy since I don't know if he might be included among Spider-Man villains and be part of the rights.

My real advice to Sony would be however....kickstart new live action movies. I would say greenlight a second trilogy of Spider-Man movies focusing on an adult Peter Parker which would stand apart from the MCU. They might be unwilling to do that given that it could be seen as a "dick move" to the MCU but that's something you can do and distinguish yourself from Tom Holland's Peter. Or do a live-action Miles Morales movie.

Felicia Hardy will be difficult because she's a copy of Selina Kyle and unlike say Thanos and Darkseid where the former beat the latter to the punch...there are two iconic versions of Catwoman already on screen (Michelle Pfeiffer, Anne Hathaway) along with ones on TV (Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar).
    I don't see them making any live action Spider-Man movies. They still get the profit from the MCU Spider-Man movies. No point in cannibalizing your own sales

BANNED

Sony Pictures' comeback in 2018 is a bit like Norman going "Out, am I?" in Spider-Man 1, when they say they'll scuttle Oscorp and merge with Quest...

Venom and ITSV is their equivalent of Goblin dropping those bombs at the parade and laughing like a loon...

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They might well do that...
    I'd like to be as confident as you, but I've seen nothing to support such optimism.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Also were would the TV stuff air? Hulu/Netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Honestly Sony won me over with Into the Spider-Verse. I am now perfectly ok with them having the rights
    It depends on whose hands they left their properties.

If they decide to go with the route of the higher execs pushing for what they want, we'll get another TASM.

The reason ItSV worked was because of Lord and Miller and Ramsey guiding the project.

Venom... well, I personally don't dig this one, but it seems what everyone liked was Tom Hardy hamming it around (which yes, was the only thing I liked). Venom was Hardy's performance pretty much guiding the whole thing, and people seem to like it.

Morbius... yeah. Not exactly a well known property starring a actor who doesn't have the same energy as Hardy who, the last time he got freedom to do whatever he wanted, the result was Suicide Squad's Joker, and form the director of Life (which people didn't seem to like). I kind of expect Morbius to be like the "gritty" parts of Venom, basically like Venom but without the charisma of Hardy carrying the whole thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    It depends on whose hands they left their properties.

If they decide to go with the route of the higher execs pushing for what they want, we'll get another TASM.

The reason ItSV worked was because of Lord and Miller and Ramsey guiding the project.

Venom... well, I personally don't dig this one, but it seems what everyone liked was Tom Hardy hamming it around (which yes, was the only thing I liked). Venom was Hardy's performance pretty much guiding the whole thing, and people seem to like it.

Morbius... yeah. Not exactly a well known property starring a actor who doesn't have the same energy as Hardy who, the last time he got freedom to do whatever he wanted, the result was Suicide Squad's Joker, and form the director of Life (which people didn't seem to like). I kind of expect Morbius to be like the "gritty" parts of Venom, basically like Venom but without the charisma of Hardy carrying the whole thing.
    It wasn't just Hardy's charisma that sold the movie, but rather his and the director's willingness to be silly and to focus a lot on Venom itself.

Morbius as a character works because the situations he so often finds himself in are just ridiculous. Plus just the fact that he's a loser. That's part of his charm as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if it would be Sony or Disney, but I wish someone would make really great Spider-Man DTV videos like WB/DC does for Batman. Seriously, could you imagine a Spider-Man movie done with the visuals and care of Batman: Under the Red Hood or the Dark Knight Returns? I'd be one happy Spidey fan.
    Yeah, I have thought the same thing. Actually, I wish Marvel in general would make animated DTV films like DC does for their entire library.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I have thought the same thing. Actually, I wish Marvel in general would make animated DTV films like DC does for their entire library.
    A Spider-Man animated DTV on par with Reign of the Supermen would be so amazing...

Spectacular Member

Clone saga��

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A Spider-Man animated DTV on par with Reign of the Supermen would be so amazing...
    Haven't seen that one. The few of the DC ones I saw I thought were kinda meh in animation generally (I did like that sequel to the '60s show they did, though). I'm really looking forward to the JL/Fatal Five one coming out soon, though.

Which Spidey material did you want to see done that way, though?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Which Spidey material did you want to see done that way, though?
    My model is more the DCAU animated movies (Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker). I am not too big a fan of DC's recent attempts at making the New 52 happen.

But I'd love to see animated takes on such stories as:
    -- If this be my destiny
    -- Spider-Man: Blue mixed with more Spider-Man stories from the Lee-Romita era so that it's not as bad continuity wise, and of course interposing that with Death of Captain Stacy and The Night Gwen Stacy Died at the conclusion.
    -- Parallel Lives mixed more closely with bits from Untold Tales #16, ASM #259, and "To Have and to Hold". Basically a movie devoted entirely to the Peter-MJ love story.
    -- The Owl/Octopus War which considering the rights issues with a Daredevil villain like the Owl might have to be modified into the Cat/Octopus War which is more correct since Felicia plays a bigger role there than the Owl.
    -- The original Hobgoblin Saga and Hobgoblin Lives.
    -- Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
    -- Revelations/Revenge of the Green Goblin/A Death in the Family/The Pulse
    -- The Night Gwen Stacy Died/The First Clone Saga...basically mash these two stories together, and place Gwen's death as what it was originally supposed to be, not this great love lost forever, but the first chapter of Peter and MJ getting together.
    -- "The Wedding" and Kraven's Last Hunt (obviously)
    -- The Death of Jean DeWolff
    -- The Child Within/Best of Enemies
    -- "Coming Home"/"The Conversation"/"Doomed Affairs" and #500, basically the entire JMS Story Arc
    -- Back in Black and To Have and to Hold, though obviously the big problem is finding an ending for this. My suggestion is to mash in #400 at the end.