Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Dreadstar would be hard. I am pretty sure it is totally creator owned by Jim Starlin and has actually been published by three different companies over its history. First Marvel Comics then First Comics and finally Malibu Comics.
    The whole idea of Epic was that it was creator owned. I'd find it hard to believe that Marvel doesn't have the right to reprint the comics it published. Starlin owns the right to the characters, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't reprint what they published. For example, Marvel does not own Fu Manchu. It licenses him from Sax Rohmer's estate or whoever owns the rights, but they have reprinted Shang Chi. But, of course, it depends on the contract. And you are right, Marvel couldn't reprint books that it didn't publish without some agreement.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    The whole idea of Epic was that it was creator owned. I'd find it hard to believe that Marvel doesn't have the right to reprint the comics it published. Starlin owns the right to the characters, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't reprint what they published. For example, Marvel does not own Fu Manchu. It licenses him from Sax Rohmer's estate or whoever owns the rights, but they have reprinted Shang Chi. But, of course, it depends on the contract. And you are right, Marvel couldn't reprint books that it didn't publish without some agreement.
    There's a couple issues here.

1. Epic is both the name of the creator owned (and/or) mature titles imprint that Marvel ran in the 80s-90s. It is also the name of the collection line started in the 2010s to collect certain titles from the beginning. While Dreadstar was published under the 80s Epic imprint, Marvel is concentrating on publisher owned material for the Epic collection line.

2. Starlin owns the rights to Dreadstar. He published it through a number of companies (Epic, Eclipse, First, Malibu, Image). A couple of Dreadstar collections came out a couple years ago from Dynamite. These covered the Epic serial, Price GN, Dreadstar GN, and issue 1-12 of the original series. A further volume continuing the series has a listing on Amazon, but never came out. I'd love to see it fully collected, but doubt Marvel will be the ones to publish it.