Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bendis is not going to undo it. Jon being aged up is the story. Once Bendis leaves the book then maybe Jon will get deaged but we’ll see.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't want to come across as if I'm belittling an opinion, but strictly based on what Bendis has said in interviews and written in the actual book, I think he has ever intention not reversing this. It seems like he specifically wants to see how the Kent/Els come back from this loss as a family.

Here are some relevant quotes from a Den of Geek interview regarding this:

The idea of "fixing" this is at odds with everything he says here. Even the idea of having both young and older Jon is at odds with the above because that's not dealing with it or having to engage, understand, respect, and praise what Jon went though and has become, but rather asking for dismissing that and asking for a do-over. The above doesn't seem to scream "and they they found young Jon and got a do-over." Sounds more like "this is their reality, and they have to understand how to move forward in a healthy way."
    I, not working for DC editorial or being Bendis himself have no idea what he intends to do. Nor do I care because, as a reader I know what he's done so far and I know I do not like it at all. I do not like Jon being aged up like this. I do not like Jon spending years in past being tortured on earth 3. From my point of view he's effectively destroying the Jon Kent I liked as a character and damaging other characters related to him in the process. I am not enjoying this at all, and if not undone this will be barrier for me to enjoy this version of the characters going forward. I do not see anyway where he can do something to sell me on this being a good permanent change at all and getting me to accept this. So I don't care about or for what bendis wants to do. I want this undone and if Bendis doesn't do it on his way out it will fall to next set of writers to do so, which I hope they will. Because I'm planning to drop this version of the characters until they come to their senses and fix this mess by bringing young Jon back. Hopefully for me it won't be a long wait.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Gee, I wonder who that LSH shaped group of shadows were...

Was Jon really tortured for years? When Clark asks him how long he was a prisoner, Jon eventually says he's not sure how long he was in there. And he doesn't look any different from when he arrived to when he breaks free art-wise. As far as we know it could have just been weeks or months. Either would appropriately fit a mindset of losing track of time, not even mentioning the factor that he was having trouble accounting for time from the get go with the constant night. It could very well be that years have not passed yet at all, and that after this encounter with Superwoman, something else happens that accounts for the rest of the time. I wouldn't be half-surprised if he loses to Superwoman but escapes, then spends the next seven years living on the outside trying to plan a proper strike to get access to the Hall's goods, if indeed that is where he finds something to get him home.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-13-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Easier solution. Bendis has hinted at wanting to write the Legion of Superheroes. Send Older Jon to the future to act as Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes, young Jon left in his place in the current timeline.
    I mean, that's basically William and Thomas Riker. They are never on screen together after that first episode.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I, not working for DC editorial or being Bendis himself have no idea what he intends to do. Nor do I care because, as a reader I know what he's done so far and I know I do not like it at all. I do not like Jon being aged up like this. I do not like Jon spending years in past being tortured on earth 3. From my point of view he's effectively destroying the Jon Kent I liked as a character and damaging other characters related to him in the process. I am not enjoying this at all, and if not undone this will be barrier for me to enjoy this version of the characters going forward. I do not see anyway where he can do something to sell me on this being a good permanent change at all and getting me to accept this. So I don't care about or for what bendis wants to do. I want this undone and if Bendis doesn't do it on his way out it will fall to next set of writers to do so, which I hope they will. Because I'm planning to drop this version of the characters until they come to their senses and fix this mess by bringing young Jon back. Hopefully for me it won't be a long wait.
    I'm really sorry that this isn't to your liking. That's something that always sucks to feel. That said, the intent of my post wasn't to persuade you or anyone else one way or another. I just wanted to provide information. I genuinely am sorry to hear this isn't your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Was Jon really tortured for years? When Clark asks him how long he was a prisoner, Jon eventually says he's not sure how long he was in there. And he doesn't look any different from when he arrived to when he breaks free art-wise. As far as we know it could have just been weeks or months. Either would appropriately fit a mindset of losing track of time, not even mentioning the factor that he was having trouble accounting for time from the get go with the constant night. It could very well be that years have not passed yet at all, and that after this encounter with Superwoman, something else happens that accounts for the rest of the time. I wouldn't be half-surprised if he loses to Superwoman but escapes, then spends the next seven years living on the outside trying to plan a proper strike to get access to the Hall's goods, if indeed that is where he finds something to get him home.
    To my eyes, Jon looked taller and had more hair similar to what he looks like now. However, it's totally possible that there's more time unaccounted for. I mean, even if he gets back from Earth-3 he'd still need to get back to Earth. It could've only been months or a signal year (in the interview Bendis said Jon's puberty is a "trial by fire" and I think his words were deliberate)

He also got the nifty new suit from somewhere, right? The kid had a full on odyssey.

Hard confirmation

Retweeted by Bendis: https://twitter.com/TravisEllisor/st...81036608000001

"@BRIANMBENDIS Bendis! I saw who you put on that one page in Superman #9! #LongLiveTheLegion"
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-13-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Loved this issue, two points:

1. Superlad kinda circled this point but didn't that I recall zero in: Bendis straight-up writes Ultraman as Plutonian with a Jersey accent. There's so many little bits - the sadist smirk as he revels in the pain he's causing and fear he's evoking, the preferring emotional damage to physical, the casual horror and invasiveness of the heartbeat comment, the self-loathing and desire for respect, the little lies to make himself look better, the blaming others for his pain and failings, the very Irredeemable-ness of the basic premise of '******* Superman locks Superboy in a cave to scream at him sometimes', and most of all specifically having a volcano lair - that I almost feel like it must be knowing and deliberate. Could use fine-tuning, but this is definitely the first time I feel like there’s actually something interesting on the page with the dude rather than purely in concept.

2. This is the best Action Comics #1 cover homage of all time, because this is the only time I’ve ever seen one that has an emotional undercurrent to it deeper than “look folks, it’s Action Comics #1!” Jon’s trapped in Hell with a devil with his father’s face, his powers all but left him (given the lack of flight, specifically down to Golden Age levels) and there really is no one in his corner and no one coming to save him or believe in him: like he says himself, he has to do what his dad would. And at the moment of triumph he gets that image, gets to do what Superman does, because that’s the moment Superboy becomes a man. It’s Amazing Spider-Man #33 by way of Action Comics #1 and I love the hell out of it.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 03-13-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

So far this seems like bendis's version of psi Lord arc from Fantastic Four with a gritty noir take on superfamily dynamic where characters muddle through the motions of the plot like zombies and have trouble expressing themselves coherently most of the time or shown full of angst trying to come to terms with their circumstances. the art is also really killing my interest in the story.

I part of me really wanted to hate this because I' m still not fully on board with the age up of Jon Kent but I have to admit I enjoyed this

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    So far this seems like bendis's version of psi Lord arc from Fantastic Four with a gritty noir take on superfamily dynamic where characters muddle through the motions of the plot like zombies and have trouble expressing themselves coherently most of the time or shown full of angst trying to come to terms with their circumstances. the art is also really killing my interest in the story.
    It shouldn't be, given the talent levels, but it shows that talent and good rapport aren't enough. They've had some good storytelling bits in the run, but having Reis stick to every issue when he's clearly behind means we get very ineffective and poor uses of page time. I'm at a point personally where what "can be" just isn't good enough anymore. I'll keep buying because my pull list is small these days, but I would really hope for a filler break and Bendis cutting down on other work commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Particularly with the fake tough guy accent and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Bendis straight-up writes Ultraman as Plutonian with a Jersey accent.
    I'm not sure what the implication was supposed to be from Bendis (Jon calls him a Jersey City Superman, which I thought was a jab at his manic character) but he's always had an accent. If he's been faking it all the time he's been around, that's kind of interesting.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Pretty fun issue. Cool to see Jon reach down and find his inner Super in a bad situation. I like that. Feels like this stop was a major turning point for him.

It seems like a lot on here don't like Bendis or this run or the aging thing, but I'm enjoying it. Fun story and I'm interested to see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

To my eyes, Jon looked taller and had more hair similar to what he looks like now. However, it's totally possible that there's more time unaccounted for. I mean, even if he gets back from Earth-3 he'd still need to get back to Earth. It could've only been months or a signal year (in the interview Bendis said Jon's puberty is a "trial by fire" and I think his words were deliberate)

He also got the nifty new suit from somewhere, right? The kid had a full on odyssey.
    I only read it once then scanned through it a second time, so maybe the artist made some changes I didn't really notice, I just didn't really notice at first glance. Though to be honest I thought he was drawn looking a little older than he should in the first place at the beginning of the flashback. Artists interpretations with kid characters, especially boys, can vary wildly. Makes it kinda hard to be sure in a situation like this, I admit. I do know as a pure preference though, I would hope that they don't try to say he was a prisoner there for years. I know the whole point of this is to put Jon through the ringer and get some hard learned experience, but that would be a bit much to me. Isolated in a volcano prison for even just weeks would be a hard enough experience, for my money, to be quite meaningful.

Funny story, the panels when Ultraman brought Jon the pig, on my first read through I actually thought the guy brought Jon a dead version of Krypto for a sec.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-14-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

2. This is the best Action Comics #1 cover homage of all time, because this is the only time I’ve ever seen one that has an emotional undercurrent to it deeper than “look folks, it’s Action Comics #1!” Jon’s trapped in Hell with a devil with his father’s face, his powers all but left him (given the lack of flight, specifically down to Golden Age levels) and there really is no one in his corner and no one coming to save him or believe in him: like he says himself, he has to do what his dad would. And at the moment of triumph he gets that image, gets to do what Superman does, because that’s the moment Superboy becomes a man. It’s Amazing Spider-Man #33 by way of Action Comics #1 and I love the hell out of it.
    This is an extremely good point that totally flew over my head, but you're right. That movement is 100% Action Comics #1. You break it down perfectly, and all I can add is the fact that I love the idea that on a basic primal level--when he's just had it--Jon emulates that instinctively. Bendis having Jon's moment of manhood manifest as a primal callback Action #1 just elevates that moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I only read it once then scanned through it a second time, so maybe the artist made some changes I didn't really notice, I just didn't really notice at first glance. Though to be honest I thought he was drawn looking a little older than he should in the first place at the beginning of the flashback. Artists interpretations with kid characters, especially boys, can vary wildly. Makes it kinda hard to be sure in a situation like this, I admit. I do know as a pure preference though, I would hope that they don't try to say he was a prisoner there for years. I know the whole point of this is to put Jon through the ringer and get some hard learned experience, but that would be a bit much to me. Isolated in a volcano prison for even just weeks would be a hard enough experience, for my money, to be quite meaningful.
    No worries, man, I get you. Me and Yoda have this theory that Bendis is setting up these flashbacks as almost a "backdoor pilot"/proof of concept for a "Jon Kent: Lost Years" book under Wonder Comics. Likely limited run format as is the norm for WC books that aren't Young Justice. 4 to 6 issue run per "season" that allows for natural cliffhangers like Naomi. And with how relatively well received this issue seems to be, and the general longing that fans have for kid Jon, I think there's a market for it.

They would totally have to homage this cover for issue 1 though https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erboy_v1_1.jpg. Non negotiable!

And speaking more directly about my feelings on the amount of time he specifically spent in the volcano? Going off what Bendis said about Jon's puberty being a "trial by fire" and what my gut tells me, I'd say he spent about a year in there, and some months traveling Earth-3 (Jon says "in my travels"). It reminded me of the young adult book, The Hatchet. I'd say by the time he tries to escape via the Crime Syndicate's Hall he's about 15 going on 16. I have to imagine Jon doesn't stop off at a store on Earth-0 to grab a super suit, so he likely gets out of Earth-3 (like escaping the underworld in a myth) still in space and makes his way through space having a few more adventures, flying and hitchhiking his way back home.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Loved this issue, two points:

1. Superlad kinda circled this point but didn't that I recall zero in: Bendis straight-up writes Ultraman as Plutonian with a Jersey accent. There's so many little bits - the sadist smirk as he revels in the pain he's causing and fear he's evoking, the preferring emotional damage to physical, the casual horror and invasiveness of the heartbeat comment, the self-loathing and desire for respect, the little lies to make himself look better, the blaming others for his pain and failings, the very Irredeemable-ness of the basic premise of '******* Superman locks Superboy in a cave to scream at him sometimes', and most of all specifically having a volcano lair - that I almost feel like it must be knowing and deliberate. Could use fine-tuning, but this is definitely the first time I feel like there’s actually something interesting on the page with the dude rather than purely in concept.
    Wasn't that wonderful. Bendis has written the absolute best Crime Syndicate (at least Ultraman, we didn't really get the rest yet) I recall ever on the page. He's a disturbed, evil a-hole and I love him.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It shouldn't be, given the talent levels, but it shows that talent and good rapport aren't enough. They've had some good storytelling bits in the run, but having Reis stick to every issue when he's clearly behind means we get very ineffective and poor uses of page time. I'm at a point personally where what "can be" just isn't good enough anymore. I'll keep buying because my pull list is small these days, but I would really hope for a filler break and Bendis cutting down on other work commitments.

I'm not sure what the implication was supposed to be from Bendis (Jon calls him a Jersey City Superman, which I thought was a jab at his manic character) but he's always had an accent. If he's been faking it all the time he's been around, that's kind of interesting.
    yes it does seem that some reprioritizing is in order for them to hit the right stride once again. as it is the art flatters to deceive while the story seems a meandering plotline that wanders off at points to different destinations contrary to set expectations.