Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

48 and I have been on and off for the past 39 years. Ironically it's my wife that told me to start reading them again. I had stopped due to money, but that was fixed up and never got back, well I am now, though I stopped with the floppies and am electronic only or Omnibus. I am not a collector as much as a reader, so electronic was fine with me.

Recently turned 54, started seriously reading DC when I was about 11.
    Collected just about all the titles up till COIE’s... Was seriously disillusioned with the way DC went after that and stopped reading for years.
    Been back and fore reading since Johns run on Green Lantern, but mainly into Omnibus and Absolute’s these days... Sold off most of my comics, but still got about 600 or so from the 70’s and early 80’s that mean a bit too me.
    As well as DC, love the British characters like Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, ANC Warriors, Roque Trooper etc

Ultimate Member

40ish

First comics-
    A Conan book-I can't remember the issue number-a black guy died and Conan was PISSED. I do not have this book anymore.

Fantastic Four 283
    West Coast Avengers issue
    Thor issue- Thor tossed the hammer into space after catching Loki in the arms of Enchantress.
    Transformers #1-2 (I think they would rate 2 by now in condition)
    Get Along #3, Muppet Babies #4
    I ended up getting a few books due to those 3 for $1 bags. Mainly from First Comics.

First DC was Batman-Todd McFarlane cover. 423
    First Magpie appearance 401-403
    2 issues before Death in the Family 426-427

In high school a few friends were selling their collections-condition varies
    New Mutants #98
    New Warriors 1-15
    Uncanny X-Men 266 & a few other issues from that including Rogue returning versus Carol

I had to rely on the grocery store for comics along with WALDEN/B Dalton book stores. Yes I remember those stores.
    I had to get my Milestone books from a comic/card store in Mesquite the few times my family went to Town East Mall.

I BIN DIVE like crazy now.

I dug in one bin and got Teen Titans (1980s run) and for 25 cents each-first Nightwing, First Terra, Last Dick as Robin & Wally as Kid Flash and a few others. Look inside all of them- George Perez, Marv Wolfman & Len Wein signed them all. Got Gail Simone, Afu Richardson & Erik Larson-the same way.
    Monica Rambeau, New Warriors, Battle Star, Duke Thomas, Riri & Miles Morales all under $2.

The most I paid for a book was $50 for John Stewart's first appearance. I got plenty of praise for getting it at that price from MANY store owners-who wanted it.

I was born in '76 and have been reading comics for as long as I can remember. Some of my fondest and earliest memories are spending hours searching through old long boxes of old discount comics in which you could get FIVE comics for a dollar.
    A store a few years (2013) back had bought all those long boxes and they had a sale. Buy 20 dollar comics and get 40 FREE.
    I got a ton of Valiant books.

There were plenty of good reads (of course most folks already had some of those books). Some of those would have NOT been in those bins if certain movies/shows were greenlighted back them (Carol Danvers, Luke Cage & Logan).

I don't know if it's an age thing... but I struggle to concentrate on comic books a lot of the time these days. I'll never give up on them but I do find they have to be exceptional to hold my interest. I get on better with older post crisis stuff. Must say.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I don't know if it's an age thing... but I struggle to concentrate on comic books a lot of the time these days. I'll never give up on them but I do find they have to be exceptional to hold my interest. I get on better with older post crisis stuff. Must say.
    One thing that I've noticed is that there's a lot of recent stuff that seems designed with providing a feature film storyboard in mind. I realize that storytelling styles change, but I find a lot of today's work less dynamic and appealing than Buscema's, Kurbert's, Perez', Kirby's, Ditko's, Colan's, and their contemporaries' work. Some of what I read today seems focused on minimizing the combat action sequences, and trying to capture drama in subtler things, like two or three panels of conveying despair by following the motion of a character's hanging head.

Astonishing Member

I used to be middle-aged, but that was a long time ago. Now I'm just plain old. My eyesight is pretty bad now, but I can still read, and comics (mostly digital) are my preferred form of fiction. It's a harmless discretionary expense for entertainment. I still have fond memories of back when funny books were "all in color for a dime", though!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I used to be middle-aged, but that was a long time ago. Now I'm just plain old. My eyesight is pretty bad now, but I can still read, and comics (mostly digital) are my preferred form of fiction. It's a harmless discretionary expense for entertainment. I still have fond memories of back when funny books were "all in color for a dime", though!
    I missed the "dime" part but remember the 12˘ days as a kid (though when I regularly started buying them they were up to 20˘ U.S. cover price).

I'm....wait I'm only 21.
    Never thought there were so many middle aged fans here (not saying it's a bad thing, just stating it).
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I'm....wait I'm only 21.
    Never thought there were so many middle aged fans here (not saying it's a bad thing, just stating it).
    Interesting.
    Some of us are moving beyond "middle age" to "Get off my lawn!"-age.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Some of us are moving beyond "middle age" to "Get off my lawn!"-age.
    What about those of us who are middled age but act like, “get off my lawn”?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I'm....wait I'm only 21.
    Interesting.
    There's a whole thread about it around here somewhere.

I wonder if i'll still be reading when i'm middle aged. Some people here have been reading impressively long times

Incredible Member

I just turned 43 and have been collecting since I was 9 and I have a pretty sizable collection of comics, currently I don't follow any particular title nor do I go every Wednesday for new comics as I stopped buying single issues around 2005 or so, the current state of comics is just sad and pathetic that I simple buy hardcovers and tpb's.

And Ive only followed superhero stuff I don't care for the independent crap like Saga or The Walking Dead.

I'm 57. Been reading comics on and off since I was 11 back in '72.

Was a Marvelzombie for most of my comics reading, but in 2011 became all in with DC.
    WHO DAT?!!

Spectacular Member

I'm 42, been reading since age 14. Loved the Death of Superman and KnightFall sagas as a kid, partly because I wasn't savvy about knowing future story lines in advance. Also enjoyed the continuing adventures of Transformers and G.I. Joe long after the classic cartoons ended. Nowadays I'm really selective with my purchases due to feeling most comics don't provide a good value for the money. The big exception is Alterna Comics with their $1.50 newsprint line. Collection currently sits at 7,xxx comics. Probably would be 12,xxx if I hadn't cut down several times over the years.