Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Middle aged comic book fans

I was just wondering if there were any posters in here of a similar age to me. I'm 41. I loved comics as a kid... but unlike many of my peers I never grew out of them. My youngest kid thinks it's cool that her Dad is still an avid DC fan and my wife supports my hobby - let me cover the bedroom wall in superhero posters and stuff.

Anyone else? Please don't tell me I'm the oldest one here...
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I was just wondering if there were any posters in here of a similar age to me. I'm 41. I loved comics as a kid... but unlike many of my peers I never grew out of them. My youngest kid thinks it's cool that her Dad is still an avid DC fan and my wife supports my hobby - let me cover the bedroom wall in superhero posters and stuff.

Anyone else? Please don't tell me I'm the oldest one here...
    Rest easy, you're not. I turned 60 in January and I'm still as avid a comic book reader as ever, though I don't read quite as many today as I had a couple of decades ago. And yes, it's still an enjoyable pastime.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Rest easy, you're not. I turned 60 in January and I'm still as avid a comic book reader as ever,
    Oh man that's so cool!

though I don't read quite as many today as I had a couple of decades ago.
    Same here. Would if I could. I get a bit of disposable income at the start of each month so I just buy a couple of trades. I've got a private wishlist for comic books on my Amazon account that I just work through. I get to it when I get to it so I'm no way near up to date.

Frustrating a little bit, cause I recently worked my way through my entire backlog. So no comics until April! BOO!

And yes, it's still an enjoyable pastime.
    Absolutely. Reading comics is my "me time".
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I'm {sniff} 55 and have been reading DC since I was 10. I stopped briefly around '81 but started picking up titles here and there until CRISIS hit and then I was 100% back in. My partner supports my "habit" (though not monetarily!) and is fine with one room of our two bedroom home being all comics--70+ boxes, something like 200 action figures, statues, etc. We've been together for 28 years though, so he knew what he was getting into!

DC really lost me with its New 52; 6-9 months in I dropped titles I'd been reading since I was a kid and made the decision to only buy series that I enjoy, currently 21 titles (some being twice monthly). Pre-New 52, I'd follow a series for years--decades!--without really enjoying it very much. I had that "gotta have all issues for the collection" and "I don't want to miss something important" mentality. My time is way to precious these days to spend reading things I don't enjoy, and I actually wouldn't mind reading fewer new titles because it would give me time to re-read older comics and series. A couple years ago I finally started digging into my boxes and pulling out old series to revisit, something I'd done only on occasion over the years/decades. I'm currently revisiting 15 "old" titles, some of which have been extremely hard to get through while others a real joy.

I feel completely safe taking the guess that "North Of Forty" is a sizable chunk of the folks that post here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm {sniff} 55 and have been reading DC since I was 10. I stopped briefly around '81 but started picking up titles here and there until CRISIS hit and then I was 100% back in. My partner supports my "habit" (though not monetarily!) and is fine with one room of our two bedroom home being all comics--70+ boxes, something like 200 action figures, statues, etc. We've been together for 28 years though, so he knew what he was getting into!

DC really lost me with its New 52; 6-9 months in I dropped titles I'd been reading since I was a kid and made the decision to only buy series that I enjoy, currently 21 titles (some being twice monthly). Pre-New 52, I'd follow a series for years--decades!--without really enjoying it very much. I had that "gotta have all issues for the collection" and "I don't want to miss something important" mentality. My time is way to precious these days to spend reading things I don't enjoy, and I actually wouldn't mind reading fewer new titles because it would give me time to re-read older comics and series. A couple years ago I finally started digging into my boxes and pulling out old series to revisit, something I'd done only on occasion over the years/decades. I'm currently revisiting 15 "old" titles, some of which have been extremely hard to get through while others a real joy.
    I loved comics as a kid but sort of lost my way with them when I hit my twenties (bar the odd Superman book). I got married, had kids and when my kids were old enough to get into videogames my wife would get them the LEGO ones. A couple of those were LEGO DC. This got my oldest daughter interested in Batman and it reminded me of my love for these characters in my youth. Around my mid to late thirties all the Arrowverse TV shows started, the DC Cinematic Universe was becoming a thing and it totally reignited my interest.

I found myself digging out old titles. By this stage the New 52 was in full swing so I started buying those and stockpiling them without reading them. I also subscribed to the Eaglemoss Graphic Novel Collection.

Eventually New 52 gave birth to Rebirth so over the last couple of years I've been keeping up to date with Rebirth and catching up on New 52 simultaneously. When I'm done with a comic book I just put it in my youngest kid's room (Ironically the oldest kid grew out of it, even though she got me BACK into it!).

So from this point onward - I just read Rebirth. Not really interested in New Age Of Heroes cause that would just add more pressure on me and more of a strain on my disposable income.

I didn't read all of the New 52, just a pretty big chunk of it and even though I didn't think it was all bad, I have no desire to revisit it or expand my knowledge of it in any way. But with Rebirth I don't want to miss a thing. I do it all in trades so I just get myself a couple a month. So I'm working through it slowly. Finding it a bit confusing that some of them are reverting back to volume 1 but I'm managing to keep abreast of it in my own way and at my own pace.

I don't really do collectables or statues or anything like that. I've got one Batman statue that is on display but only cause a buddy bought it for me. It was a lovely gift and I like it, but I wouldn't have bought it myself. I've also got a Batman lamp and a Superman lamp that my kids got for me.

However, one thing I did indulge in was a DC Comics Monopoly set. I love that thing! And I do have some posters up around the house including a lovely Harley Quinn canvas in the hallway.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Extraordinary Member

I'm over 50. I bought DC comics during the late 70s, all through the 80s, and into the 90s. Alex Ross' Justice mini series and Goyer/Johns JSA were the last regular comics I bought. I'll pick up something once in awhile if it looks interesting, but I'm usually disappointed. I do read sites like this to get an idea of what's happening in the DC Universe, but again, I'm usually disappointed or uninterested. I'm currently not buying any comics.

Boisterously Confused

I'm 54. I started reading both DC and Marvel somewhere around the age of 4 (okay, they were my brothers' comics, and calling it "reading" for the first couple of years might be generous).

I dropped out in about '88, and it was Alex Ross that brought me back (both Marvels and Astro City). I still get the occasion new title, more recently following Sideways, Freedom Fighters, and catching up on Wonder Woman.

Mainly, I'm rereading the old stuff on digital. I've picked out a selection of titles, starting in 1961 with Justice League of America, and have been following about 15 titles, reading each of them by cover month, and I'm now just past CoIE (March titles).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I do read sites like this to get an idea of what's happening in the DC Universe, but again, I'm usually disappointed or uninterested.
    I just come here to talk to people who I have something in common with. Just shoot the breeze really. I try to avoid threads that have overt spoilers in them. My wife isn't into comics at all, my oldest kid isn't, and my youngest kid likes to watch the movies and TV shows with me but doesn't really read the comics. Although she's got a massive shelf full of the ones I've already read.

I read her them at bedtime sometimes.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I'm 31, so I still consider myself young-ish, especially for a comic book fan on this website.
    *ducks out before tomatoes are thrown*

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I just come here to talk to people who I have something in common with. Just shoot the breeze really. I try to avoid threads that have overt spoilers in them. My wife isn't into comics at all, my oldest kid isn't, and my youngest kid likes to watch the movies and TV shows with me but doesn't really read the comics. Although she's got a massive shelf full of the ones I've already read.

I read her them at bedtime sometimes.
    My wife doesn't like reading individual comic books but she'll read a trade paperback because she says it's more like a novel-type book. I think she's usually surprised at how much she enjoys them. When she was reading The Great Darkness Saga, she was discouraged by the dialogue in the early issues. I told her to "keep reading and it'll get better". By the time she finished it, she was asking for more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm 31, so I still consider myself young-ish, especially for a comic book fan on this website.
    *ducks out before tomatoes are thrown*
    You are youngish.

At 46, I can barely remember 31.

I'm 37. So not much younger than the OP.

My wife is 34, and she reads comics too. Actually, half my pull list is her's. At least she normally has good taste.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm 53 and have been reading and collecting comics for as long as I can remember. They played a big part in me learning to read even.

Can't remember a time that I didn't collect at least one book regularly.
    Batman - Daredevil

I'm in my 40s, though I never read superhero comics growing up. Not sure why. I don't remember seeing them in places near me. I did, however, watch all the superhero and Sci-Fi shows and movies as a kid and loved them. Loved Superfriends and the Wonder Woman and Hulk tv shows.

I got into the Superman comics after Superman Returns in 2006. I was in a Superman high and wanted to learn more about the character. To my surprise, the comics turned out even better than the movies. A lot more imagination and wonder. I'm still not a big comics reader, but I still get the most popular stories.