Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Middle aged comic book fans

I was just wondering if there were any posters in here of a similar age to me. I'm 41. I loved comics as a kid... but unlike many of my peers I never grew out of them. My youngest kid thinks it's cool that her Dad is still an avid DC fan and my wife supports my hobby - let me cover the bedroom wall in superhero posters and stuff.

Anyone else? Please don't tell me I'm the oldest one here...
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCStu View Post
    I was just wondering if there were any posters in here of a similar age to me. I'm 41. I loved comics as a kid... but unlike many of my peers I never grew out of them. My youngest kid thinks it's cool that her Dad is still an avid DC fan and my wife supports my hobby - let me cover the bedroom wall in superhero posters and stuff.

Rest easy, you're not. I turned 60 in January and I'm still as avid a comic book reader as ever, though I don't read quite as many today as I had a couple of decades ago. And yes, it's still an enjoyable pastime.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Rest easy, you're not. I turned 60 in January and I'm still as avid a comic book reader as ever,
    Oh man that's so cool!

though I don't read quite as many today as I had a couple of decades ago.
    Same here. Would if I could. I get a bit of disposable income at the start of each month so I just buy a couple of trades. I've got a private wishlist for comic books on my Amazon account that I just work through. I get to it when I get to it so I'm no way near up to date.

Frustrating a little bit, cause I recently worked my way through my entire backlog. So no comics until April! BOO!

And yes, it's still an enjoyable pastime.
    Absolutely. Reading comics is my "me time".
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

I'm {sniff} 55 and have been reading DC since I was 10. I stopped briefly around '81 but started picking up titles here and there until CRISIS hit and then I was 100% back in. My partner supports my "habit" (though not monetarily!) and is fine with one room of our two bedroom home being all comics--70+ boxes, something like 200 action figures, statues, etc. We've been together for 28 years though, so he knew what he was getting into!

DC really lost me with its New 52; 6-9 months in I dropped titles I'd been reading since I was a kid and made the decision to only buy series that I enjoy, currently 21 titles (some being twice monthly). Pre-New 52, I'd follow a series for years--decades!--without really enjoying it very much. I had that "gotta have all issues for the collection" and "I don't want to miss something important" mentality. My time is way to precious these days to spend reading things I don't enjoy, and I actually wouldn't mind reading fewer new titles because it would give me time to re-read older comics and series. A couple years ago I finally started digging into my boxes and pulling out old series to revisit, something I'd done only on occasion over the years/decades. I'm currently revisiting 15 "old" titles, some of which have been extremely hard to get through while others a real joy.

I feel completely safe taking the guess that "North Of Forty" is a sizable chunk of the folks that post here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm {sniff} 55 and have been reading DC since I was 10. I stopped briefly around '81 but started picking up titles here and there until CRISIS hit and then I was 100% back in. My partner supports my "habit" (though not monetarily!) and is fine with one room of our two bedroom home being all comics--70+ boxes, something like 200 action figures, statues, etc. We've been together for 28 years though, so he knew what he was getting into!

DC really lost me with its New 52; 6-9 months in I dropped titles I'd been reading since I was a kid and made the decision to only buy series that I enjoy, currently 21 titles (some being twice monthly). Pre-New 52, I'd follow a series for years--decades!--without really enjoying it very much. I had that "gotta have all issues for the collection" and "I don't want to miss something important" mentality. My time is way to precious these days to spend reading things I don't enjoy, and I actually wouldn't mind reading fewer new titles because it would give me time to re-read older comics and series. A couple years ago I finally started digging into my boxes and pulling out old series to revisit, something I'd done only on occasion over the years/decades. I'm currently revisiting 15 "old" titles, some of which have been extremely hard to get through while others a real joy.
    I loved comics as a kid but sort of lost my way with them when I hit my twenties (bar the odd Superman book). I got married, had kids and when my kids were old enough to get into videogames my wife would get them the LEGO ones. A couple of those were LEGO DC. This got my oldest daughter interested in Batman and it reminded me of my love for these characters in my youth. Around my mid to late thirties all the Arrowverse TV shows started, the DC Cinematic Universe was becoming a thing and it totally reignited my interest.

I found myself digging out old titles. By this stage the New 52 was in full swing so I started buying those and stockpiling them without reading them. I also subscribed to the Eaglemoss Graphic Novel Collection.

Eventually New 52 gave birth to Rebirth so over the last couple of years I've been keeping up to date with Rebirth and catching up on New 52 simultaneously. When I'm done with a comic book I just put it in my youngest kid's room (Ironically the oldest kid grew out of it, even though she got me BACK into it!).

So from this point onward - I just read Rebirth. Not really interested in New Age Of Heroes cause that would just add more pressure on me and more of a strain on my disposable income.

I didn't read all of the New 52, just a pretty big chunk of it and even though I didn't think it was all bad, I have no desire to revisit it or expand my knowledge of it in any way. But with Rebirth I don't want to miss a thing. I do it all in trades so I just get myself a couple a month. So I'm working through it slowly. Finding it a bit confusing that some of them are reverting back to volume 1 but I'm managing to keep abreast of it in my own way and at my own pace.

I don't really do collectables or statues or anything like that. I've got one Batman statue that is on display but only cause a buddy bought it for me. It was a lovely gift and I like it, but I wouldn't have bought it myself. I've also got a Batman lamp and a Superman lamp that my kids got for me.

However, one thing I did indulge in was a DC Comics Monopoly set. I love that thing! And I do have some posters up around the house including a lovely Harley Quinn canvas in the hallway.
    Collects
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Extraordinary Member

I'm over 50. I bought DC comics during the late 70s, all through the 80s, and into the 90s. Alex Ross' Justice mini series and Goyer/Johns JSA were the last regular comics I bought. I'll pick up something once in awhile if it looks interesting, but I'm usually disappointed. I do read sites like this to get an idea of what's happening in the DC Universe, but again, I'm usually disappointed or uninterested. I'm currently not buying any comics.

Rest easy, you're not. I turned 60 in January and I'm still as avid a comic book reader as ever, though I don't read quite as many today as I had a couple of decades ago. And yes, it's still an enjoyable pastime.
    You turned 60 in January? I turned 60 in January! And I'm an unpaid moderator on a comic book website. Pretty cool!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    You turned 60 in January? I turned 60 in January! And I'm an unpaid moderator on a comic book website. Pretty cool!
    My birthday was on the 12th. What date was yours? Walt Disney was spot on....it IS a small world after all!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I just turned 58. I've reading comics (primarily DC) since sometime in the late 1960s. I just can't remember for certain what my first comic was.

And it goes beyond the four-color world. I looked at CBR's list of 24 live-action comic book TV shows and realized that I watch 18 of them...
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Spectacular Member

Default from brazil ....

I'm 48, brazilian, living in Brazil ....
    love comics, especially DC ..... did my master's on continuity

It's great to meet other readers of around my age. <3

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    I'm 48, brazilian, living in Brazil ....
    love comics, especially DC ..... did my master's on continuity

It's great to meet other readers of around my age. <3
    I had no idea you were also from Brazil, philosopop.

Back to topic, I recently turned 38, started reading comics when I was 4 back in 85. I actually learned to read TO read comics.

(In hindsight, my mother should haver supervised stuff because I'm pretty sure all the Nightwing/Starfire stuff wasn't really age appropriate. But oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Spectacular Member

Default Um brinde pro BohemiaDrinker <#

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I had no idea you were also from Brazil, philosopop.

Back to topic, I recently turned 38, started reading comics when I was 4 back in 85. I actually learned to read TO read comics.

(In hindsight, my mother should haver supervised stuff because I'm pretty sure all the Nightwing/Starfire stuff wasn't really age appropriate. But oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
    Um Corote e uma Catuaba ahehaehea

(these are names of some REALLY awful, yet highly popular, Brazilian airplane-fuel-doubling-as-drinks)

Astonishing Member

Very much my age group

I'm a few years older than you.....I stopped reading comics by the time I was around 20, started reading again after my son was a few years old and he was really into Spider-Man. He was also into the Justice League cartoon (Timmverse), and I decided to start buying comics for him, but then I got sucked back in, myself, moreso than I was into it as a teen. The positive side is I've been reading higher quality comics than I did when I was younger.