Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'm 53. Started reading comics some time in the 1970s and then stopped right around when I graduated college in 1989. Skipped the entire 1990s and early 2000s. Got married in 1994 and built my career in the 1990s. Then I started up again in comics with Infinite Crisis and haven't looked back, somewhat to my wife's chagrin.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm 53. Started reading comics some time in the 1970s and then stopped right around when I graduated college in 1989. Skipped the entire 1990s and early 2000s. Got married in 1994 and built my career in the 1990s. Then I started up again in comics with Infinite Crisis and haven't looked back, somewhat to my wife's chagrin.
    I feel ya bud. She doesn't get it, but doesn't put it down or try to take away my enjoyment. Except for the occasional stern, yet gentle, "So, I noticed the AMEX charges to your digital accounts seems a little fat this month..."

I'm also fortysomething, and I seem to fade in and out of the comics realm every handful of years. I'm hoping to stick around this time, though, and getting my 16 year old son into comics is helping (and fun!).

We are moving in a few months, and I'm looking forward to both thinning out my old collection and seeing some of the older issues I haven't seen in years. After we complete the big move, I'm going to have some of my key issues graded, so that should be fun.

I'm 52. Been reading comics since 1975.
    I buy very few new issues, if any, these days.
    The last series I followed was Walter Simonson's Ragnarök.
    There are no comic shops in my part of the world anymore.
    I mostly order back issues or trades (pre 2000) online these days.
    I check out these sites to see what is going on in the world of comics.
    To see if anything new is worth checking out.

I'm not going to say how old I am, but the characters on That's 70's Show and I all graduated HS the same year. I dealt with Red Foreman as a father and eventually convinced him the hobby wasn't all kid stuff. Sort of.

It's heartening to talk with people on here who understand what 1985 felt like and seeing each issue of COIE kill some other character. Times have certainly changed and although I haven't kept up with a lot of those changes, there are others I can certainly appreciate and am thankful for. And some stuff we feel responsible for. Who else bought all four colors of Legends of the Dark Knight #1? Amirite?

Get off my lawn!

BANNED

I'm not middle aged myself, but I'm going to guess that most of DC comics buyers are over 40, because comics haven't really been accessible to most people since the 80s, or if you really want to stretch it, the early 90s. So the market has shrunk to only long time fans and continues to shrink with basically no growth whatsoever.

I'm in my 40's as well. I read Transformers and Robocop as a kid, but Batman #457 was my first "superhero" comic. I've read on and off depending on budget since then.

My 11 year old daughter reads comics, but I don't see a ton of kids in my LCS, mostly 30+ year old dudes.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'm not going to say how old I am, but the characters on That's 70's Show and I all graduated HS the same year. I dealt with Red Foreman as a father and eventually convinced him the hobby wasn't all kid stuff. Sort of.

It's heartening to talk with people on here who understand what 1985 felt like and seeing each issue of COIE kill some other character. Times have certainly changed and although I haven't kept up with a lot of those changes, there are others I can certainly appreciate and am thankful for. And some stuff we feel responsible for. Who else bought all four colors of Legends of the Dark Knight #1? Amirite?

Get off my lawn!
    ^Same, including "Get off my lawn!" :P

Gonna be 21 in April but I already feel like a jaded old comic fan.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Will be 40 in June and I've loved comics as long as i can remember. Used to read The Beano as a kid.
    My wife isn't a fan of comics but she's grown to appreciate them as an indoor hobby that can wrestle attention away from video games [which she hates with a passion]

My kids have also gotten into Comics thanks to Lil' Gotham. Later Supersons, DCSHG, Miraculous Ladybird and Gotham Academy.
    my daughter is the bigger and more dedicated comic fan. She follows characters, draws characters loves most things hero related. My son really only pays attention to Supersons favouring the LEGO DC video games and movies more.
    Last edited by Fergus; 03-13-2019 at 05:17 PM.

30 and have always loved comics, can’t see myself giving it up. Even got my wife into superheroes
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm 31, so I still consider myself young-ish, especially for a comic book fan on this website.
    *ducks out before tomatoes are thrown*
    Same here. Gonna be 32 in a few months, I still love comics after more than 15 years but sometimes I don't understand why I keep following the industry. I also get disappointed way too easily if my favorites don't get the type of treatment I think they should inside or outside of comics. Maybe I need to start taking some breaks.

I'm 47, myself...

Been reading comics since the mid-70s (my brother's), and getting my own since 1982.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was born in '76 and have been reading comics for as long as I can remember. Some of my fondest and earliest memories are spending hours searching through old long boxes of old discount comics in which you could get FIVE comics for a dollar.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

38, and my husband has issues with my collection. It’s nearing 30,000 floppies.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com