View Poll Results: What did you think of the issue?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

4 13.79%
  • ★★★★

7 24.14%
  • ★★★

9 31.03%
  • ★★

6 20.69%
  • 3 10.34%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #66 - Giants War, Pt. 1 (Spoilers)

After the preview, Wonder Woman goes to Amanda Waller to ask permission to recruit Giganta for a few days. She needs her help to fight the Titans that have appeared. Giganta agrees to fight them under the condition that Diana pays her a half a million dollars. Diana argues that she doesn't have that money, but Giganta's got bills to pay so she'll accept a payment plan. So she reluctantly agrees to help.

Neat issue, and the best so far. Not perfect, as it felt like not much happened and the Giganta/Diana argument could've been cut short. But enjoyable for sure, and I'm loving the mythological creatures continuing to get fleshed out.

And fans of Diana's power feats will be happy to see her shield her friends from being stepped on by a titan. I can't imagine how much strength that would require.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    After the preview, Wonder Woman goes to Amanda Waller to ask permission to recruit Giganta for a few days. She needs her help to fight the Titans that have appeared. Giganta agrees to fight them under the condition that Diana pays her a half a million dollars. Diana argues that she doesn't have that money, but Giganta's got bills to pay so she'll accept a payment plan. So she reluctantly agrees to help.

Neat issue, and the best so far. Not perfect, as it felt like not much happened and the Giganta/Diana argument could've been cut short. But enjoyable for sure, and I'm loving the mythological creatures continuing to get fleshed out.

And fans of Diana's power feats will be happy to see her shield her friends from being stepped on by a titan. I can't imagine how much strength that would require.
    She was ko, and by only one hit from a character that is featless. Based on portrayal, it doesn't look like the titants have the power of the actual titans from the myths. Once again, gww's WW feels weak. This should feel like an epic adventure and once again it fails.

The 3 other guys still feel out of place and uninteresting. The art is stll sub par in my opinion. 2 stars.
    Last edited by starlight25; 03-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We need some new artists on this title ASAP. It's just so bland looking.

I liked everything else though. Giganta tackling the Titan was awesome, as was Diana not falling for Waller's BS. I continue to dislike the Doris Zool origin, but there's nothing Wilson can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    She was ko, and by only one hit from a character that is featless. Based on portrayal, it doesn't look like the titants have the power of the actual titans from the myths. Once again, gww's WW feels weak. This should feel like an epic adventure and once again it fails.

The 3 other guys still feel out of place and uninteresting. The art is stll sub par in my opinion. 2 stars.
    How is a Titan/giant featless? It's name and its mythological connections tell us all the feats it is capable of. Diana was knocked down for less than a minute and then held up its entire weight as it stepped on her without any signs of strain. It's also necessary to show how powerful they are to prop up Giganta, who desperately needs it. If one of them is strong enough to knock Diana away for a minute, then Giganta should be in the same weight class if she's coming in to aid in fighting them.

Mixing up Titans and generic giants is pretty annoying though. But I don't expect it to be in the same weight class as Chronus, Rhea, etc. because it's clearly not one of those Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    We need some new artists on this title ASAP. It's just so bland looking.

I liked everything else though. Giganta tackling the Titan was awesome, as was Diana not falling for Waller's BS. I continue to dislike the Doris Zool origin, but there's nothing Wilson can do about that.

How is a Titan/giant featless? It's name and its mythological connections tell us all the feats it is capable of. Diana was knocked down for less than a minute and then held up its entire weight as it stepped on her without any signs of strain. It's also necessary to show how powerful they are to prop up Giganta, who desperately needs it. If one of them is strong enough to knock Diana away for a minute, then Giganta should be in the same weight class if she's coming in to aid in fighting them.

Mixing up Titans and generic giants is pretty annoying though. But I don't expect it to be in the same weight class as Chronus, Rhea, etc. because it's clearly not one of those Titans.
    That'd be like saying that greek gods in xena are as powerful as in the comics or the actual myths. Because they share the same names. But we know that is not the case.

That'd be like saying that greek gods in xena are as powerful as in the comics or the actual myths. Because they share the same names. But we know that is not the case.
    Not really, since there are giants in Greek myths.

These are clearly not the mythological Titans that spawned Zeus and the rest. But giants are not weak. And as annoying as it is, using "Titans" as a catch all term for any giant in a Greek-related story is not new.

BANNED

Not really, since there are giants in Greek myths.

These are clearly not the mythological Titans that spawned Zeus and the rest. But giants are not weak. And as annoying as it is, using "Titans" as a catch all term for any giant in a Greek-related story is not new.
    gww is clueless when it comes to portraying mythology characters properly. We been knew. These giants are featless. Rebirth Diana herself is far from having a big catalogue of feats. So anybody being on par with her doesn't mean much. Because we hardly know how powerful she is. Well we actually know, based on her cataogue in rebirth as a whole, not very powerful. She has the personality of a dial tone and the art looks uninspired. So what is there to like?

gww is clueless when it comes to portraying mythology characters properly. We been knew. These giants are featless. Rebirth Diana herself is far from having a big catalogue of feats. So anybody being on par with her doesn't mean much. Because we hardly know how powerful she is. Well we actually know, based on her cataogue in rebirth as a whole, not very powerful. She has the personality of a dial tone and the art looks uninspired. So what is there to like?
    Hmm...you didn’t read metal? Or have been reading Justice League Dark? I’m sure there were feats in there. Also the JL book. My only problem is the pacing of the book. It’s moving too slow and I’m ready for some action from the greatest fighter in the DCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Hmm...you didn’t read metal? Or have been reading Justice League Dark? I’m sure there were feats in there. Also the JL book. My only problem is the pacing of the book. It’s moving too slow and I’m ready for some action from the greatest fighter in the DCU.
    I am not following metal. I like JLD. She hasn't done much in terms of feats. But her personality there is far more engaging. The story is more interesting and the art is great.

I think you better sit on a chair while you wait. gww is not interested in making Diana's verse feel powerful and epic. She is just trying to include identity politics, but doing it in a generic way where Diana as a character is not even the center. How many oh my paradise island is gone, i'm alone, and family drama arcs have we had already?

I don't think she's clueless. There is no one way to portray Greek mythology, the Wonder Woman franchise isn't known for having reputation for portraying Greek myth with 100% accuracy. Probably for the best in the case of the Amazons.

Of course the giants are featless. Any new monster debuting in this issue would be featless because it is literally the first page they are on. You know that right?

BANNED

I don't think she's clueless. There is no one way to portray Greek mythology, the Wonder Woman franchise isn't known for having reputation for portraying Greek myth with 100% accuracy. Probably for the best in the case of the Amazons.

Of course the giants are featless. Any new monster debuting in this issue would be featless because it is literally the first page they are on. You know that right?
    It's 97% likely that giants will befeatless or have not very big feats. And WW, 3 years of rebirth and she has nothing to put her above mid tier level. Then you add her personality and the art being underwhelming in the book, and we get very sad results.

Great issue! I liked the talk about money the most, as well as Doris' moxie for asking for a cool half a million. "Unlimited resources and prestige" where? She's obviously unaware of how DC treats Diana. She should have laughed in her face. My guess is Veronica Cale will have to finance this adventure.

Can't wait to see what Waller's repayment will be. As a guest star she's golden but Etta's absence was highlighted by her appearance. At first I thought she was her. That doesn't begin to describe my confusion at Eirene and a dress and where her cow parts ended or at how hard Damon was mashing on Maggie. The art is sketchy but expressive and very familiar, Diana's profile reminded me of Blondie or someone else from the funny papers I cant recall.

The subject of Wonder Woman's strength relative to size was a nice conversation, though for once we got a sense of danger and a fully tangible feat! It was glorious!

Why did Diana not have any money? I mean we know she has toys and other items. Why wouldn't she get royalties from those?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why did Diana not have any money? I mean we know she has toys and other items. Why wouldn't she get royalties from those?
    Does she have toys? I haven’t seen that brought up in her books. Also Diana’s financial situation is something that’s rarely touched upon.

I liked it.

Dialogue (the occasional "hngh" notwithstanding) and plot was good, and I liked the pragmatic slash mercenary streak that Wilson gave to Giganta. Amanda Waller was also used well, and like I mentioned in my thoughts on the preview, Cadmus, Eirene, and Damon are a delight to read.

In a way, Wilson seems set on exposing the privileges of the JL-level heroes. First it was via Cadmus, Eirene, and Damon, and now in this issue via Giganta. I can certainly understand that sentiment, but at the same time I feel that Diana is not the best hero to critique here. On the other hand, the critique is worthwhile to do, and lately Diana has become more and more removed from her early roots of being a (somewhat) champion of the poor and disenfranchised.

Art was a mixed bag. The nature scenes, the titans, and disposition was glorious, but it still feels like Nord is least interested in drawing Diana, and her facial expressions far too often feels confused or uncertain. He is simply not good at drawing female faces or expressions. When it comes to Giganta, I think she should have a more stocky build, but I think my main issue is that Nord didn't really manage to convey the scale of her at full size.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I agree with the rest of you about the inconsistent art. Some aspects look great (like the mythological gang), but Diana and Giganta did not.

It's 97% likely that giants will befeatless or have not very big feats. And WW, 3 years of rebirth and she has nothing to put her above mid tier level. Then you add her personality and the art being underwhelming in the book, and we get very sad results.
    That's silly. These "giants" are the Titans of mythology, which have ruled Olympus before it took the combined might of the Olympians to de-throne them. That puts Diana and Giganta both on par with the Olympian Gods, which is an impressive feat if you ask me.