View Poll Results: What did you think of the issue?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

4 13.79%
  • ★★★★

7 24.14%
  • ★★★

9 31.03%
  • ★★

6 20.69%
  • 3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman #66 - Giants War, Pt. 1 (Spoilers)

After the preview, Wonder Woman goes to Amanda Waller to ask permission to recruit Giganta for a few days. She needs her help to fight the Titans that have appeared. Giganta agrees to fight them under the condition that Diana pays her a half a million dollars. Diana argues that she doesn't have that money, but Giganta's got bills to pay so she'll accept a payment plan. So she reluctantly agrees to help.

Neat issue, and the best so far. Not perfect, as it felt like not much happened and the Giganta/Diana argument could've been cut short. But enjoyable for sure, and I'm loving the mythological creatures continuing to get fleshed out.

And fans of Diana's power feats will be happy to see her shield her friends from being stepped on by a titan. I can't imagine how much strength that would require.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    After the preview, Wonder Woman goes to Amanda Waller to ask permission to recruit Giganta for a few days. She needs her help to fight the Titans that have appeared. Giganta agrees to fight them under the condition that Diana pays her a half a million dollars. Diana argues that she doesn't have that money, but Giganta's got bills to pay so she'll accept a payment plan. So she reluctantly agrees to help.

Neat issue, and the best so far. Not perfect, as it felt like not much happened and the Giganta/Diana argument could've been cut short. But enjoyable for sure, and I'm loving the mythological creatures continuing to get fleshed out.

And fans of Diana's power feats will be happy to see her shield her friends from being stepped on by a titan. I can't imagine how much strength that would require.
    She was ko, and by only one hit from a character that is featless. Based on portrayal, it doesn't look like the titants have the power of the actual titans from the myths. Once again, gww's WW feels weak. This should feel like an epic adventure and once again it fails.

The 3 other guys still feel out of place and uninteresting. The art is stll sub par in my opinion. 2 stars.
    Last edited by starlight25; 03-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We need some new artists on this title ASAP. It's just so bland looking.

I liked everything else though. Giganta tackling the Titan was awesome, as was Diana not falling for Waller's BS. I continue to dislike the Doris Zool origin, but there's nothing Wilson can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    She was ko, and by only one hit from a character that is featless. Based on portrayal, it doesn't look like the titants have the power of the actual titans from the myths. Once again, gww's WW feels weak. This should feel like an epic adventure and once again it fails.

The 3 other guys still feel out of place and uninteresting. The art is stll sub par in my opinion. 2 stars.
    How is a Titan/giant featless? It's name and its mythological connections tell us all the feats it is capable of. Diana was knocked down for less than a minute and then held up its entire weight as it stepped on her without any signs of strain. It's also necessary to show how powerful they are to prop up Giganta, who desperately needs it. If one of them is strong enough to knock Diana away for a minute, then Giganta should be in the same weight class if she's coming in to aid in fighting them.

Mixing up Titans and generic giants is pretty annoying though. But I don't expect it to be in the same weight class as Chronus, Rhea, etc. because it's clearly not one of those Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    We need some new artists on this title ASAP. It's just so bland looking.

I liked everything else though. Giganta tackling the Titan was awesome, as was Diana not falling for Waller's BS. I continue to dislike the Doris Zool origin, but there's nothing Wilson can do about that.

How is a Titan/giant featless? It's name and its mythological connections tell us all the feats it is capable of. Diana was knocked down for less than a minute and then held up its entire weight as it stepped on her without any signs of strain. It's also necessary to show how powerful they are to prop up Giganta, who desperately needs it. If one of them is strong enough to knock Diana away for a minute, then Giganta should be in the same weight class if she's coming in to aid in fighting them.

Mixing up Titans and generic giants is pretty annoying though. But I don't expect it to be in the same weight class as Chronus, Rhea, etc. because it's clearly not one of those Titans.
    That'd be like saying that greek gods in xena are as powerful as in the comics or the actual myths. Because they share the same names. But we know that is not the case.

That'd be like saying that greek gods in xena are as powerful as in the comics or the actual myths. Because they share the same names. But we know that is not the case.
    Not really, since there are giants in Greek myths.

These are clearly not the mythological Titans that spawned Zeus and the rest. But giants are not weak. And as annoying as it is, using "Titans" as a catch all term for any giant in a Greek-related story is not new.

BANNED

Not really, since there are giants in Greek myths.

These are clearly not the mythological Titans that spawned Zeus and the rest. But giants are not weak. And as annoying as it is, using "Titans" as a catch all term for any giant in a Greek-related story is not new.
    gww is clueless when it comes to portraying mythology characters properly. We been knew. These giants are featless. Rebirth Diana herself is far from having a big catalogue of feats. So anybody being on par with her doesn't mean much. Because we hardly know how powerful she is. Well we actually know, based on her cataogue in rebirth as a whole, not very powerful. She has the personality of a dial tone and the art looks uninspired. So what is there to like?

Note that there were lots of titans, and most of them were not as powerful or as important as the Uranides or the Iapetionides. In any case, I expect Aphrodite to know her stuff about the Greek bestiary.

Note that there were giants—the Gigantes—in Greek myth, but unlike the more primal and elemental Titans, the Gigantes appear more biological.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that there were lots of titans, and most of them were not as powerful or as important as the Uranides or the Iapetionides. In any case, I expect Aphrodite to know her stuff about the Greek bestiary.

Note that there were giants—the Gigantes—in Greek myth, but unlike the more primal and elemental Titans, the Gigantes appear more biological.
    These titants are so powerful that one got defeated when Giganta made it fall of a cliff. And it seemed that Giganta would have been in danger by that fall if Diana didn't pick her up. WOW what a powerhouse Rebirth Giganta is. And Diana is supposed to be her strength peer? mid tier power level confirmed again.

What has this issue accomplished? It's all the same as usual with this run. Diana is always reacting to things happening around her, we never get to see her doing anything outside of reacting to the events that happen around her. She is way too pasive. Her personality is dull in this book. The art is bad and Diana and her world in general feel weak. I see nothing here that i like.
    Last edited by starlight25; 03-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.

That's silly. These "giants" are the Titans of mythology, which have ruled Olympus before it took the combined might of the Olympians to de-throne them. That puts Diana and Giganta both on par with the Olympian Gods, which is an impressive feat if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Interesting. I think when most people think of the Titans, they think of the specific group of Chronus, Rhea, Hyperion, etc. But the ones in this could be part of another group that the term still refers to?

Matching featless Gods like the ones in rebirth doesn't mean much. Ares looks like the typical brick from Marvel than the actual all mighty being he once was in DC. Writers don't seem to care about representing WW's power and the power of her verse. As they treat WW and her villains like trash.
    How do you know the Gods are featless when we are only just getting around to seeing them? And how do you propose these giants have feats when they are first appearing here? Do they have to have a page devoted to breaking down their stats or something?

This just seems needlessly nitpicky when comic book super powers in ALL titles are nebulous to begin with. A mythological giant knocked Wonder Woman down (which is what you'd expect it to do) for literally a few seconds, and she later held up its weight without strain and held up Giganta's weight. What more do you want, for everything to be effortless?
    As for her villains, as far as her own title is concerned, Cheetah, Cale, Dr. Cyber, Circe, Tezkatlipoca and now Giganta (in an arc devoted to her) all beg to differ.

Extraordinary Member

And if that were all, I would be happy.

But then we have an entire dialogue about why Diana CANNOT take down a titan solo, framed in such a way as to make it SOUND reasonable, except that we all know if it were Superman he’d have just punched its head off.

Once again, this run seems to lapse into defining a Wonder Woman through imposing limitations on her. She CANT stop Ares blowing people up, CANT get him to stop fighting without help, and now she CANT take down a titan unless Giganta helps her.

So far the only thing this run has shown me that Wonder Woman excels at going solo is giving hugs!

Two stars.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And if that were all, I would be happy.

But then we have an entire dialogue about why Diana CANNOT take down a titan solo, framed in such a way as to make it SOUND reasonable, except that we all know if it were Superman he’d have just punched its head off.

Once again, this run seems to lapse into defining a Wonder Woman through imposing limitations on her. She CANT stop Ares blowing people up, CANT get him to stop fighting without help, and now she CANT take down a titan unless Giganta helps her.

So far the only thing this run has shown me that Wonder Woman excels at going solo is giving hugs!

Two stars.
    I always enjoy your posts. Because sometimes i feel bad for finding this run (and WW in general nowadays) underwhelming. Many people here keep saying things trying to justify gww, like give her more time. But if she wanted to show Diana as a more competent and powerful individual, she would have done it by now. And this is something happening to WW for years now. She just hasn't done anything WOW in a freaking long time. I can't be the only one to notice this.

Extraordinary Member

I always enjoy your posts. Because sometimes i feel bad for finding this run (and WW in general nowadays) underwhelming. Many people here keep saying things trying to justify gww, like give her more time. But if she wanted to show Diana as a more competent and powerful individual, she would have done it by now. And this is something happening to WW for years now. She just hasn't done anything WOW in a freaking long time. I can't be the only one to notice this.
    Thanks.

I get the desire to bring in Giganta. No problem there at all.

But it didn’t have to be because Wonder Woman wasn’t “big enough”. After all there were two of those titans. It could have just been that Diana called in help because she couldn’t stop both before someone got killed.

Meanwhile over in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers is lifting kraken as big as buildings.

Once again, the best writing for this issue is given to Mr Tumnus.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Thanks.

But it didn’t have to be because Wonder Woman wasn’t “big enough”. After all there were two of those titans. It could have just been that Diana called in help because she couldn’t stop both before someone got killed.

Meanwhile over in Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers is lifting kraken as big as buildings.

Nowadays with WW, they always make it seem like it's important to show she can't do things. Like look she is not invincible see? I just find it annoying. We don't ask for a hero that never loses. We just want to feel the excitment of seeing Diana do powerful and cool stuff, like a powerhouse is supposed to. Marvel can do that with carol danvers that has been a mid tier since her debut. But DC can't let WW shine? For example, Superman lifts buldings, Aquaman lifts a 15.000 tons submarine, WW? She lifts a 30 tons tank, and that is supposed to be the major moment in her case? In the movies and the comics, it seems they go out of their way to make sure she doesn't have any epic powerful moment.

Thanks.

With this treatment of Giganta, James Robinson's Silver Swan and Greg Rucka's work on Cale, Cheetah, Doctor Cyber, Poison Alpha, Circe, Wonder Woman's main rogues are well on the road to redevelopment.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I finally got to read this issue yesterday. The biggest perk was seeing Giganta used beyond a cameo. I'm not sure I like Wilson's portrayal of Giganta. She made her seem a bit desperate and weak-willed IMO. I like Giganta to be written as more confident and arrogant like she was in both Challenge of the Super Friends and Jimenez/Heinberg's runs. Diana's characterization is getting better though so that's a plus. Nord's art still isn't my cup of tea. Diana still looks too frail and Giganta didn't really look intimidating at all in this issue. Another point that bothered me is that silly Zoo Crew made another appearance. They're getting beyond annoying at this point. I'm not sure why Wilson thinks fans want to read about them. I'd rather she spent more time on Giganta, Steve, Etta, Donna, or Cassie.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.