View Poll Results: What did you think of the issue?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

    4 13.79%
  • ★★★★

    7 24.14%
  • ★★★

    9 31.03%
  • ★★

    6 20.69%
  • 3 10.34%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78
  1. #16
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I agree with the rest of you about the inconsistent art. Some aspects look great (like the mythological gang), but Diana and Giganta did not.



    That's silly. These "giants" are the Titans of mythology, which have ruled Olympus before it took the combined might of the Olympians to de-throne them. That puts Diana and Giganta both on par with the Olympian Gods, which is an impressive feat if you ask me.
    Matching featless Gods like the ones in rebirth doesn't mean much. Ares looks like the typical brick from Marvel than the actual all mighty being he once was in DC. Writers don't seem to care about representing WW's power and the power of her verse. As they treat WW and her villains like trash.

  2. #17
    Incredible Member Slim Shady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    8 Mile
    Posts
    623

    Default

    I'm not sure how much longer I can stick around with this run as bad as I hate to say it. This issue was just kind of ok to me, and so far just ok is about the most I can say about any of the issues. I do like bringing characters like Giganta back into the mix, so that's a plus. But after 8 or 9 issues, I feel like I should be more interested than I am. I might finish out this arc but idk, something about Wilson's writing is just totally missing the mark for me. I can't even really put my finger on what it is.

    That art tho. I'm honest to goodness surprised they think this art is good enough for the main Wonder Woman title. It's like no effort whatsoever was put into drawing Wonder Woman in her own book. I felt bad for her while I read this.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    2,192

    Default

    This issue was ok. The art was ok which is kind of sad considering Cary Nord is an amazing artist and he just doesn't seem to be a good fit for the book and when you consider we have had Lupachino and Xermanico on recent issues...it just highlights the odd fit of Nord. I can only imagine how amazing this would have looked with either of those on art duties.
    As for the story, the only thing I have actually read of Wilson's has been her Vixen mini series from years ago and the very first trade of Ms. Marvel. She gets a lot a good press and has a nice following, so I have been hopeful as to how she might approach Wonder Woman. I like her ideas and where it seems to be going, but the story has been too dragged out and is just...ok. I will wait it out of course and hope for more.
    What I would like out of a Wonder Woman run was something that was highlighted in this issue...What does Diana do??? Giganta wants to get paid (but of course...ridiculous to think she would do this out of the kindness of her heart and makes me giddy for a Giganta Merc for Hire series!!) That is something that has been an issue for almost every run of Wonder Woman with the exception of a very few...how does Diana afford to live? She lived in London for Azz's run...how? Now she has a house that Steve gave her, but is he her sugar daddy? I've long been an advocate of giving Diana a job, I loved when she worked for the Department of Meta Human Affairs and thought making her a part of ARGUS would be an excellent idea, making that the impetus of Justice League Dark or even just her own thing. However we seem to continue with an aimless character moved only by events around her and none of her own doing. Diana has been a REactive character for far too long, I would like to see a writer make her book and character a little more proactive, a character who challenges why things are and then sets out to change them. Set up a world for her, not continually tear down what's around her.
    As is, I am curious to see where GWW is going and how she rebuilds Diana's world, but so far I am not nearly as invested as I wanted to be.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Mixing up Titans and generic giants is pretty annoying though. But I don't expect it to be in the same weight class as Chronus, Rhea, etc. because it's clearly not one of those Titans.
    Note that there were lots of titans, and most of them were not as powerful or as important as the Uranides or the Iapetionides. In any case, I expect Aphrodite to know her stuff about the Greek bestiary.

    Note that there were giants—the Gigantes—in Greek myth, but unlike the more primal and elemental Titans, the Gigantes appear more biological.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  5. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that there were lots of titans, and most of them were not as powerful or as important as the Uranides or the Iapetionides. In any case, I expect Aphrodite to know her stuff about the Greek bestiary.

    Note that there were giants—the Gigantes—in Greek myth, but unlike the more primal and elemental Titans, the Gigantes appear more biological.
    These titants are so powerful that one got defeated when Giganta made it fall of a cliff. And it seemed that Giganta would have been in danger by that fall if Diana didn't pick her up. WOW what a powerhouse Rebirth Giganta is. And Diana is supposed to be her strength peer? mid tier power level confirmed again.

    What has this issue accomplished? It's all the same as usual with this run. Diana is always reacting to things happening around her, we never get to see her doing anything outside of reacting to the events that happen around her. She is way too pasive. Her personality is dull in this book. The art is bad and Diana and her world in general feel weak. I see nothing here that i like.
    Last edited by starlight25; 03-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    That's silly. These "giants" are the Titans of mythology, which have ruled Olympus before it took the combined might of the Olympians to de-throne them. That puts Diana and Giganta both on par with the Olympian Gods, which is an impressive feat if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that there were lots of titans, and most of them were not as powerful or as important as the Uranides or the Iapetionides. In any case, I expect Aphrodite to know her stuff about the Greek bestiary.

    Note that there were giants—the Gigantes—in Greek myth, but unlike the more primal and elemental Titans, the Gigantes appear more biological.
    Interesting. I think when most people think of the Titans, they think of the specific group of Chronus, Rhea, Hyperion, etc. But the ones in this could be part of another group that the term still refers to?

    Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Matching featless Gods like the ones in rebirth doesn't mean much. Ares looks like the typical brick from Marvel than the actual all mighty being he once was in DC. Writers don't seem to care about representing WW's power and the power of her verse. As they treat WW and her villains like trash.
    How do you know the Gods are featless when we are only just getting around to seeing them? And how do you propose these giants have feats when they are first appearing here? Do they have to have a page devoted to breaking down their stats or something?

    This just seems needlessly nitpicky when comic book super powers in ALL titles are nebulous to begin with. A mythological giant knocked Wonder Woman down (which is what you'd expect it to do) for literally a few seconds, and she later held up its weight without strain and held up Giganta's weight. What more do you want, for everything to be effortless?
    As for her villains, as far as her own title is concerned, Cheetah, Cale, Dr. Cyber, Circe, Tezkatlipoca and now Giganta (in an arc devoted to her) all beg to differ.

  7. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Interesting. I think when most people think of the Titans, they think of the specific group of Chronus, Rhea, Hyperion, etc. But the ones in this could be part of another group that the term still refers to?



    How do you know the Gods are featless when we are only just getting around to seeing them? And how do you propose these giants have feats when they are first appearing here? Do they have to have a page devoted to breaking down their stats or something?

    This just seems needlessly nitpicky when comic book super powers in ALL titles are nebulous to begin with. A mythological giant knocked Wonder Woman down (which is what you'd expect it to do) for literally a few seconds, and she later held up its weight without strain and held up Giganta's weight. What more do you want, for everything to be effortless?
    As for her villains, as far as her own title is concerned, Cheetah, Cale, Dr. Cyber, Circe, Tezkatlipoca and now Giganta (in an arc devoted to her) all beg to differ.
    One of the titans was done after falling off a cliff. That is powerful to you? Her villains in her own title barely get any feats, just like WW. And it's the same in the jl book. Which is part of the problem. Runs go by and she does almost nothing and it's the same for her villains. What has the WW verse done in rebirth that screams powerhouse? mid tier is more like it outside of Witching Hour. Her book is not exciting anymore. There is no great action, no great art, and her personality is lacking as much as her power.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Interesting. I think when most people think of the Titans, they think of the specific group of Chronus, Rhea, Hyperion, etc. But the ones in this could be part of another group that the term still refers to?
    Certainly, there are lots more titans than the ones that were tossed into Tartarus after the defeat of Kronus, and some were even allied with the Olympians, like Prometheus. Theoi has a decent writeup.

    Anyway, we have a big elemental crude thing that Aphrodite calls a titan. That's close enough for comics.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  9. #24
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Certainly, there are lots more titans than the ones that were tossed into Tartarus after the defeat of Kronus, and some were even allied with the Olympians, like Prometheus. Theoi has a decent writeup.

    Anyway, we have a big elemental crude thing that Aphrodite calls a titan. That's close enough for comics.
    The important part is they are weak. Titants or not. One of them was down for the count because he fell off a cliff. What amazing powerful adventure we get from the legendary amazon princess. The big foes can die by falling from a cliff. Sorry but Wonder Woman's title can do much better than that.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    I know I’ve been saying we should give Wilson more of a chance but I’m starting to drift off myself. My eyes started glazing over as I read this issue. Nord’s art is just so weak here and I don’t get why, his Conan was pretty good. The storytelling has shifted back to mediocre, which was a problem Wilson had in her last Ms. Marvel issues.

  11. #26
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    One of the titans was done after falling off a cliff. That is powerful to you? Her villains in her own title barely get any feats, just like WW. And it's the same in the jl book. Which is part of the problem. Runs go by and she does almost nothing and it's the same for her villains. What has the WW verse done in rebirth that screams powerhouse? mid tier is more like it outside of Witching Hour. Her book is not exciting anymore. There is no great action, no great art, and her personality is lacking as much as her power.
    It also got body slammed by Giganta, which I think would be the deciding factor. We also know that there are multiple Titans in this arc, and they are not all the same size or power level. The solicits for part three mentions the largest, which the ones in this issue clearly are not. We also don't even know if its dead, maybe it can reassemble itself?

    So far in Rebirth (and I'm mostly going by Rucka and Wilson because I could not care less about the rest) she's solo'd Shaggy Man (a JL level threat), got up after Poison shot her with a high caliber round and wasn't slowed down, covered an exploding grenade with her hands and wasn't phased, shattered Ares's axe and deflected lightning back at him with her lasso, used the lasso to catch a missile and throw it away, and held up the Titan as it stepped on her with its full weight. Which of DC's mid tier heroes do any of these things?

    Cheetah has been shown to be a physical threat to her, Circe has bound two Gods with her spells and wasn't affected by the lasso, and Dr. Cyber could throw the whole world into chaos by slipping into any system. The general DCU sucks for them, but they're doing fine in this. Many of her villains and the conflicts they generate are not the kind that can be dealt with by punching them anyway (see almost any Dr. Psycho or Veronica Cale plot).

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Certainly, there are lots more titans than the ones that were tossed into Tartarus after the defeat of Kronus, and some were even allied with the Olympians, like Prometheus. Theoi has a decent writeup.

    Anyway, we have a big elemental crude thing that Aphrodite calls a titan. That's close enough for comics.
    Interesting, I'll have to give that a read. Thanks!

  12. #27
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It also got body slammed by Giganta, which I think would be the deciding factor. We also know that there are multiple Titans in this arc, and they are not all the same size or power level. The solicits for part three mentions the largest, which the ones in this issue clearly are not. We also don't even know if its dead, maybe it can reassemble itself?

    So far in Rebirth (and I'm mostly going by Rucka and Wilson because I could not care less about the rest) she's solo'd Shaggy Man (a JL level threat), got up after Poison shot her with a high caliber round and wasn't slowed down, covered an exploding grenade with her hands and wasn't phased, shattered Ares's axe and deflected lightning back at him with her lasso, used the lasso to catch a missile and throw it away, and held up the Titan as it stepped on her with its full weight. Which of DC's mid tier heroes do any of these things?

    Cheetah has been shown to be a physical threat to her, Circe has bound two Gods with her spells and wasn't affected by the lasso, and Dr. Cyber could throw the whole world into chaos by slipping into any system. The general DCU sucks for them, but they're doing fine in this. Many of her villains and the conflicts they generate are not the kind that can be dealt with by punching them anyway (see almost any Dr. Psycho or Veronica Cale plot).



    Interesting, I'll have to give that a read. Thanks!
    It died because it fell from the cliff. That is very weak.

    Granade and lightning? mid tiers can do that.

    Ares is featless and acts like a one dimensional brick. So being able to match him doesn't mean much. Diana has no high tier level strength feats in rebirth. So Cheetah being a physical challenge doesn't help either. getting shot? A mid tier can survive that too. The gigants shown in this issue ar weak. A fall from a cliff can put them down. all of these things are not outside the capability of mid tier characters. What mid tiers you ask? carol danvers, Ironman, Wonder Girl, etc.

  13. #28
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York City/San Francisco/Singapore
    Posts
    131

    Default

    I finally got around to reading this issue after reading through some comments here. Overall, a slightly better issue for me (I gave it three stars).


    The good stuff for me:

    --I loved the two covers.

    --I also loved seeing Giganta in action in a Wonder Woman book. Am I recalling correctly when I think she last appeared during Gail's run--and the two of them had a bit of a heart to heart on the beach? Fun as that was, it was really nice to see Giganta in action.

    --Yay! No sword action! Now if only we can get more bracelet action instead of shield.


    The ok...but could be better:

    --The pacing and timeline was all weird. There's a lot of talking head panels whilst imminent danger was around. Couldn't that have taken place during the travel time to and from the battle site? Even by comic book logic, it didn't make sense.

    --While I'm not a fan of the Incredible Journey crew, I can't believe that Diana left them all in the middle of danger to fly to DC to negotiate with Amanda Waller. How long did it take to get clearance and jet back and forth? What happened to them after the fights?

    --If Giganta can shrink to normal human size, wouldn't it be better for "a wise as Athena" Wonder Woman to tell her to do that to aid saving her? And this version of Giganta doesn't get dumber as her size increases--rather than ask about the tensile strength of the lasso, shrink to human size instead?

    --I feel the artwork is more suited for an Archie's comic than Wonder Woman. But it wasn't bad.


    Things that made me go "huh"?:

    --What or where did Aphrodite go?


    jBn

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,846

    Default

    I gave it three stars.

    I like the dose of reality GWW is putting into the book, from Cale threatening to sue Wonder Woman for her actions, inactions, compensation she may have received, etc. as a superhero to Giganta's request for cash for what she sees as a contract job. I always enjoy when reality gets layered onto a fantasy world and how that pushes a character's reality to interesting places and questions to ask of the fantasy world.

    The Incredible Journey (thanks for that JackBNimble) trio, now a quartet, continue to be a fun perspective playing with the stranger in a strange land theme.

    I like Doris here and the refuting of them becoming friends, right off the bat. I'm good with her coming to an understanding with Diana, but I'd her to remain a villain. Doctor Zeul has too much potential and intellect (to me) to just remain a mercenary. (There are Wonder characters better suited to that role.)

    Waller's favor will definitely come back to bite her - and mostly likely leave bigger, more destructive, teeth marks than Nemesis did.

    Aphrodite appearing and disappearing seems odd and unlike her current abilities, so that seems like a poor attempt at understanding where all your pieces are on the plot chessboard. The segue to meeting with Waller to get a Giganta while the Titans are battling it out and the Incredible Journey crew are running around panicked also seems like a weird story beat, given all the time it'd have taken Diana to get to Waller, meet with her, and return with Giganta, but I kind of sorted that out in my head. Nord's art isn't wowing me and making wish we had another artist on the book.

    I think I need a little more excitement and drama portrayed in the dialogue and art, especially with more dynamic story beat moments. I wouldn't mind if some bigger themes and questions were explored too, given the plot, but will see if that happens in future issues.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-18-2019 at 08:32 AM.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    After the preview, Wonder Woman goes to Amanda Waller to ask permission to recruit Giganta for a few days. She needs her help to fight the Titans that have appeared. Giganta agrees to fight them under the condition that Diana pays her a half a million dollars. Diana argues that she doesn't have that money, but Giganta's got bills to pay so she'll accept a payment plan. So she reluctantly agrees to help.

    Neat issue, and the best so far. Not perfect, as it felt like not much happened and the Giganta/Diana argument could've been cut short. But enjoyable for sure, and I'm loving the mythological creatures continuing to get fleshed out.

    And fans of Diana's power feats will be happy to see her shield her friends from being stepped on by a titan. I can't imagine how much strength that would require.
    And if that were all, I would be happy.

    But then we have an entire dialogue about why Diana CANNOT take down a titan solo, framed in such a way as to make it SOUND reasonable, except that we all know if it were Superman he’d have just punched its head off.

    Once again, this run seems to lapse into defining a Wonder Woman through imposing limitations on her. She CANT stop Ares blowing people up, CANT get him to stop fighting without help, and now she CANT take down a titan unless Giganta helps her.

    So far the only thing this run has shown me that Wonder Woman excels at going solo is giving hugs!

    Two stars.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •