Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I liked seeing Lady Octopus again, even for just a panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    she met a clone, apparently.
    Where was that shown? Not that there were clones, but that the Sergei in Squirrel Girl was one of them? I mean, I didn't get the sense that the clone sons were under the impression they were the original, or had all of his memories.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 03-14-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

he wants to get Peter to the point where he's ready to kill him. he wants peace/eternal rest. this is his Joker standing in the way of the batcycle moment.
    It seems that way. I wonder if his son has other plans.

he wants to get Peter to the point where he's ready to kill him. he wants peace/eternal rest. this is his Joker standing in the way of the batcycle moment.
    Yeah, and I'm honestly at the point where I don't know where's its gonna go, I think there's just a high enough chance that Peter could actually kill him, and I'm so excited to see what happens.

Even if it was forcibly put on him, we know what happens anytime he's got that black suit on, and its gonna be glourious!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think they implied that the Kraven Kaine killed (and all the others that appeared since) were the clones, and this is the real Kraven's first appearance since Grim Hunt. So the curse is still on.
    Not saying that you are wrong, but that wouldn't make sense. In Scarlet Spider 23, Anya is seen with Kraven. Kaine punches Kraven in the chest and then restarts his heart. Anya and Kraven then leave. But in Amazing Spider-Man 16, Anya is seen to be disgusted of the clones and immediately leaves. There is no way that she left in disgust and then went out on a hunt in Texas with one of the clones.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It seems that way. I wonder if his son has other plans.
    his son inherits the "kingdom." that was his stated goal when he found his dad.

BANNED

The cool thing about the homages to KLH is that it's got real deep cuts.

Kraven's opening monologue for instance alludes to Peter's monologue in DeMatteis' story:

From KLH:

"There is no Spider-Man. He's a mask. A myth. A lie. Oh, sure, It'd be great if putting on a costume could miraculously change the man underneath. But it can't. I'm not Spider-Man. I'm just...Peter Parker...But they'll never understand that. How could they? How could anybody? Sometimes I wish I could get into their heads...see myself the way they see me. On second thought — maybe not...Wouldn't want to get too close to "the wall-crawling freak," would you? Wouldn't want to find out that he's as human as you are? As fragile? As scared of dying? That's what it's all about isn't it? Yesterday, Ned Leeds. Today, Joe Face. Tomorrow...Aunt May? Mary Jane? Me? Funny. I'm out there facing death every day as Spider-Man — But I never really think about it. Guess I don't let myself. Yet so many people I love have died before their time: Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy, Gwen...Do I think I'm somehow immune? I'm going to die. But not yet."
    — Spider-Man, Kraven's Last Hunt, captions, written by J. M. DeMatteis.

"I am Kraven—I am a man of many names. The beast. The hunter. Kravinov. I am none of these now. Now I am just—the ghost...Now—everything is compromised. I have been returned to a world I do not belong in, cursed to road endlessly through its decaying paths...I yearn for death. A death that this time cannot be undone. Only the spider can kill me, the curse said. So I will find a way. There will be peace. But not yet."
    — Issue #16, Opening captions.

So it seems that Kraven is in Peter's position there.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Not saying that you are wrong, but that wouldn't make sense. In Scarlet Spider 23, Anya is seen with Kraven. Kaine punches Kraven in the chest and then restarts his heart. Anya and Kraven then leave. But in Amazing Spider-Man 16, Anya is seen to be disgusted of the clones and immediately leaves. There is no way that she left in disgust and then went out on a hunt in Texas with one of the clones.
    I think that could be reasoned with Ana discovering the truth about the clones after the events in Scarlet Spider. Her last appearance before this was in All-New Inhumans, in which she still had the Kravinoff that she divorced herself from in #16, so it could mean she found out sometime fairly recently.

But even then yeah, the clone thing is a VERY flimsy excuse, that they just barely get away with because its ultimately not really that important to the core story itself.

I think that could be reasoned with Ana discovering the truth about the clones after the events in Scarlet Spider. Her last appearance before this was in All-New Inhumans, in which she still had the Kravinoff that she divorced herself from in #16, so it could mean she found out sometime fairly recently.

But even then yeah, the clone thing is a VERY flimsy excuse, that they just barely get away with because its ultimately not really that important to the core story itself.
    I don't think that the other appearances of Kraven were clones. Someone mentioned it that they still live their own lives and everything.

how's it different from Doombots?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Other than the opening homage that took up the first few pages, the nods back never took me out of the story. They mostly were, as you say, subtle winks such as Kraven wearing a dark suit, Spidey referencing Ned's recent death (again) and possibly Spidey's illness as he also was battling a bad cold at the beginning of KLH although, this time out, he seems much iller and much more is being made of it in-story so I think there is more to it as some have suggested (possible exposure to a virus to weaken him planned by Kraven).

Overall, a superb issue and excellent start for this arc.
    An incomplete list of nods...
    - The "I am Kraven" monologue that starts the story, and ends with "But not yet" as he stands by a coffin in a chapel.
    - The first page is exactly the same, even the composition of the trophies. Later sequences also repeat, although it does fit a subtext of past glories.
    - Spider-Man swinging miserable in the rain, as he did in KLH Part 1.
    - Spider-Man reflecting on recent losses, including Ned Leeds.
    - Spider-Man trying to keep himself from worrying that MJ may be next.
    - Spider-Man thinking he's safe from Kraven, because Kraven is predictable, and a sudden end isn't his style.
    - Spider-Man saying "MJ, I'm sorry."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

oh my god what if centipede is joe face
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Very enjoyable start. Looking forward to all of the villains. How many are going to be toast when it is all said and done?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Very enjoyable start. Looking forward to all of the villains. How many are going to be toast when it is all said and done?
    Armadillo, Beetle, Black Cat, Black Mamba, Black Racer, Black Tarantula, Bushmaster, Constrictor, Cottonmouth, Fer-de-Lance, Gazelle, Gibbon, Hippo, Iguana, Kangaroo, Killer Shrike, King Cobra, Lady Octopus, Man-Bull, Owl, Panda-Mania, Puff Adder, Puma, Rhino, Rock Python, Scorpion, Slug, Squid, Stegron, Tarantula, Toad, Vulture, Walrus, White Rabbit

Plenty of villains to choose from i am sure only a few will be killed off though.

Something I do really think deserves credit about this story, it could've seemed really cheap and gimmicky if done by any other writer, which we already kind of saw how something like that would be received through Grim Hunt. And yet, this doesn't feel cheap or unearned at all, the references and connections feel satisfying and all come together so well, and that shows just how good Spencer is in terms of executing and structuring his stories.