Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonaX View Post
    It's surprising that he took on Shazam in the first place given he had so much on his plate.
    If you look up "workaholic" in the comic book pro dictionary, you'll find it was written, edited, and commissioned by Geoff Johns, who has just announced he's planning on producing and writing the movie adaptation, in addition to the made for TV miniseries.

This is one of the reasons he was so great at writing Hal Jordan, who similarly buries himself in his job, no matter the consequences to his own life.

This is one of the reasons he was so great at writing Hal Jordan, who similarly buries himself in his job, no matter the consequences to his own life.
    Did he have that trait before Johns wrote him? He certainly didn't in the silver age stuff I read, but there's a lot of time between that and Johns' run, to say the least.

BANNED

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If you look up "workaholic" in the comic book pro dictionary, you'll find it was written, edited, and commissioned by Geoff Johns, who has just announced he's planning on producing and writing the movie adaptation, in addition to the made for TV miniseries.

For another comparison look up Smash Bros and Sakurai.

BANNED

Okay. What evidence do you have to support the idea that DC Editorial is delaying Doomsday Clock? The only whiff I've heard of anyone other than Johns & Frank having complete control over this was when they had to delay one issue to get approval from the Russian government for their depiction of Putin, who promptly leaked the issue to Russian pirate sites.
    No actual evidence per say, but I rather have DC be a bit strict instead of letting Geoff Johns having full control over this event. At least place some restrictions on the Doomsday Clock team so that delays like this can be avoided.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Well, issue 11 has been ordered and arriving Wednesday, hopefully the wait for #12 won't be so long.
    I think I'm going to hold off on reading the final 2 issues and just sit down with the entire thing and read it in one go.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Well, issue 11 has been ordered and arriving Wednesday, hopefully the wait for #12 won't be so long.
    I think I'm going to hold off on reading the final 2 issues and just sit down with the entire thing and read it in one go.
    Your willpower far exceeds mine. I plan on inhaling 11 as soon as I can. Although I will probably wait until I get home and not read it while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    No actual evidence per say, but I rather have DC be a bit strict instead of letting Geoff Johns having full control over this event. At least place some restrictions on the Doomsday Clock team so that delays like this can be avoided.
    They did place restrictions on him by setting a deadline for when the JSA and LSH irregardless of whether Doomsday Clock was finished.

What other restrictions were you thinking about? When Didio approached Johns with doing Rebirth, Johns was in a position to dictate the terms of virtually everything in regards to Doomsday Clock. It's why there are no superfluous tie-ins. The series has proven to be wildly successful, despite the massive delays, so there's no creative reason for Johns & Frank to rush, particularly if it means putting out something less than what they're capable of. Furthermore, the revenue generated by the movies and TV shows Johns is so busy with is far greater than anything the comics are capable of. Do you honestly think Warner Bros would be OK with one of their publishing execs trying to strong-arm a film / TV exec? Didio has managed to keep his job for so long because he's savvy enough to not do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Did he have that trait before Johns wrote him? He certainly didn't in the silver age stuff I read, but there's a lot of time between that and Johns' run, to say the least.
    Hal has been notoriously bad at maintaining any semblance of a functioning civilian life since at least the 1980s, although the seeds for it were planted as early as the late 1960s when he blew up his life to take on a series of different jobs after Carol dumped him. Since then, the only constant in his life was being GL.

Fantastic Member

There is some evidence. Doomsday Clock was rewritten as it progressed to accommodate the trash that was Heroes in Crisis as part of its narrative. There was also an interview Scott Snyder gave where he said that DC has moved past Doomsday Clock, though he apparently asked that quote to be stricken after the article was published. So, the book that was supposed to be a culmination has instead been shifted to be a cog in the (awful) story the current power brokers are telling. The rest is speculation because the delays have happened with no explanation other than Gary Frank saying it's not his fault.

Looking forward to issue 11 next week, and looking forward to the finale whenever DC allows it to be published.

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    There is some evidence. Doomsday Clock was rewritten as it progressed to accommodate the trash that was Heroes in Crisis as part of its narrative. There was also an interview Scott Snyder gave where he said that DC has moved past Doomsday Clock, though he apparently asked that quote to be stricken after the article was published. So, the book that was supposed to be a culmination has instead been shifted to be a cog in the (awful) story the current power brokers are telling. The rest is speculation because the delays have happened with no explanation other than Gary Frank saying it's not his fault.

Looking forward to issue 11 next week, and looking forward to the finale whenever DC allows it to be published.
    Doomsday Clock wasn't rewritten to accommodate Heroes in Crisis. Johns just inserted a single line into one issue to acknowledge its events, which helped the narrative he had established.

As for Snyder's interview, I hadn't heard that, but that’s hardly evidence of anything aside from the simple fact that DC's creators are already planning for what's coming up beyond Doomsday Clock. Asking for that comment to be removed is more a sign of Snyder not wanting it to be misinterpreted (which clearly didn’t work since it's now being used as 'evidence' of something).

If Doomsday Clock has been delayed due to Johns workload, it's perfectly reasonable for DC to try to adjust things around in order to accommodate, otherwise the rest of the DCU would be left spinning its wheels until Johns has enough time to finish his scripts.

Is that an ideal situation? Not really, but everyone involved seems to be trying their best to respect everyone else here. There's simply no evidence of any chicanery on the part of anyone at either DC Editorial or by Johns & Frank.

Everyone involved is just trying to produce the best comics they can and rolling with the situation at hand. Assigning ill-intent to anyone seems pointlessly cruel and cynical, particularly given there's no evidence of it in this case.

I have no doubt that plenty of unsavory $%*& has gone on within the comics industry, but leaping to conclusions here based upon nothing is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-01-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Since Doomsday Clock has been delayed due to Johns workload, it's perfectly reasonable for DC to try to adjust things around in order to accommodate, otherwise the rest of the DCU would be left spinning its wheels until Johns has enough time to finish his scripts...

I have no doubt that plenty of unsavory $%*& has gone on within the comics industry, but leaping to conclusions here based upon nothing is simply wrong.
    Isn't the bolded part above you leaping to your own conclusion? Nobody official has said or suggested that was the reason.

I fully expect we'll know eventually what the reasons for the delays were but the only thing we've been told from anyone official was Gary Frank saying it wasn't him.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Isn't the bolded part above you leaping to your own conclusion? Nobody official has said or suggested that was the reason.

I fully expect we'll know eventually what the reasons for the delays were but the only thing we've been told from anyone official was Gary Frank saying it wasn't him.
    Yes, I am absolutely leaping a conclusion, but it's one based upon the information we have. All the various projects that Geoff Johns is working on is publicly known and his other comics have also been delayed. This is not a slight against Johns. I think he's a very hard working guy, but this is a consequence of taking on that much work. DC gains nothing by making an official statement that Johns has been late delivering his scripts.

My issue isn't with anyone speculating, that's what comics fans like ourselves do. It's part of the fun of being a comics fan. My issue is that this speculation has quickly become conspiratorial based upon no evidence, assigning bad faith and malice to people who are simply trying to produce the best comics they can and dealing with unforeseen difficulties as best they can. That strikes me as a pretty crummy thing to do to anyone and, frankly, I am sick of seeing it regularly on these forums.

Like I said, I'm sure plenty of dodgy stuff happens regularly within the comics industry, just as it does within all industries, particularly the entertainment industry, but this kind of conspiracy theory nonsense built upon nothing but resentment and anger is not the kind of thing that's very helpful or something that the heroes we love so much would approve of.

If anyone has any actual evidence of DC Editorial trying to screw over Johns & Frank, I'd love to hear it, but simply repeating the same unsubstantiated conspiracy theories over and over again with no one taking issue with it seems like a really, really bad idea.

Is the clock (pun intended) resetting pon the next issue now?

Yes, I am absolutely leaping a conclusion, but it's one based upon the information we have. All the various projects that Geoff Johns is working on is publicly known and his other comics have also been delayed. This is not a slight against Johns. I think he's a very hard working guy, but this is a consequence of taking on that much work. DC gains nothing by making an official statement that Johns has been late delivering his scripts.

My issue isn't with anyone speculating, that's what comics fans like ourselves do. It's part of the fun of being a comics fan. My issue is that this speculation has quickly become conspiratorial based upon no evidence, assigning bad faith and malice to people who are simply trying to produce the best comics they can and dealing with unforeseen difficulties as best they can. That strikes me as a pretty crummy thing to do to anyone and, frankly, I am sick of seeing it regularly on these forums.

Like I said, I'm sure plenty of dodgy stuff happens regularly within the comics industry, just as it does within all industries, particularly the entertainment industry, but this kind of conspiracy theory nonsense built upon nothing but resentment and anger is not the kind of thing that's very helpful or something that the heroes we love so much would approve of.

If anyone has any actual evidence of DC Editorial trying to screw over Johns & Frank, I'd love to hear it, but simply repeating the same unsubstantiated conspiracy theories over and over again with no one taking issue with it seems like a really, really bad idea.
    We're just so emotional on our losses right now, okay?!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Doomsday Clock wasn't rewritten to accommodate Heroes in Crisis. Johns just inserted a single line into one issue to acknowledge its events, which helped the narrative he had established.
    Neither of us know that, but to a series that was first teased with Doc Manhattan holding Wally's watch - which was a gift given by Barry - the whole implication that Wally has been a pushback of sorts to Manhattan time-edits and the highly editorial nature of HiC, the idea that this whole theme was simply vetoed from DClock is actually a pretty reasonable one, considering how little Wally or Barry this series has had.

15 years of a pretty consistent M.O. is not nothing, Bored. This is not the first Johns story with important bits chopped off, if that's case here.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!