Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default How Would YOU "revamp the Bat-Family?"

Since the word is that Tom King is retooling the Bat-Family and there would be TWO lasting changes, how would you do it and what would your "two changes" be? Just curious.

1.) Half it.
    2.) Cap it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

He has already shot Dick Grayson in the head I fear Dick Grayson is in for potentially bad comic book run for another year or two. I would hope for a better outcome since he got to Batman through Grayson but he’s been on a streak of bringing people into darker stories. The Year Of The Vilain doesn’t seem like it will turn out well for Dick/Nightwing and we still don’t know when Rick will end. I would hope they give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    How Would YOU "revamp the Bat-Family?"

Since the word is that Tom King is retooling the Bat-Family and there would be TWO lasting changes, how would you do it and what would your "two changes" be? Just curious.
    Can't I just choose to get rid of Tom King before he inflicts any further damage on the franchise?

Please?

Incredible Member

Batman, NW,RH,Both Robins, Batgirl, Cass, and Huntress. Those should be the only Bat vigilantes. Batman,Cass,Huntress and Barbara are the only ones in Gotham City.

2 changes....have Bane and the villains do something so wild that the rest of the other Bat fam went into early retirement for fear of their loved ones. 2nd...have Batman be framed for something so extreme that him and his fam are forced to be distanced by the rest of the DCU.
    Last edited by Darkcrusade25; 03-13-2019 at 05:12 PM.

BANNED

Lessen the Sidekicks and that includes most of the Robins and Batgirls. Something tells me that we're getting a major Culling of the Batman family franchise in the near future. Keeping only Dick Grayson as Nightwing as the survivor of it all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Lessen the Sidekicks and that includes most of the Robins and Batgirls. Something tells me that we're getting a major Culling of the Batman family franchise in the near future. Keeping only Dick Grayson as Nightwing as the survivor of it all.
    Doubt it, they are valuable intellectual properties with big enough followings.

For Bruce to not be emotionally stunted. And be a half decent father to ALL of his kids, not just 1 or 2 of them.
    Restore Dick's time as a Teen Titan with the NTT. And have him be a father to Mar'i Grayson (whether or not he and Star are still a couple, well, there are stories that can go both ways, and even split, they can get along for Mar'i's sake). With the Titans acting independently of the League.
    Have Jason's Outlaws operate not just in Gotham, but world wide. Fighting crime from within with the outcasts of the hero community.
    Tim has his YJ group, almost a branch of the Teen Titans.
    Damian has the Super Kids, basically the "successors", if you will, of the big heroes. Like him and Jon are the biological sons of Batman and Superman. Perhaps have a daughter (or young and new Amazon) from Diana's group, Crush (daughter of Lobo), Wallace West (nephew of Barry and cousin to Wally), etc.

Babs could be Oracle again. Not crippled, but taking a more backseat/information broker kind of role, while giving the mantle to either Cass or Steph (probably Cass who seems to have quite the fascination with the Bat Symbol).
    Cass and Steph could both be Bat Girl, and work together to fight crime in Gotham in a tone similar to Steph's run as Batgirl pre-Flashpoint.

Go back to Batman Reborn era.

(There’s no evidence that King is doing anything to the BatFam, but whatever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    1.) Half it.
    2.) Cap it.
    This.

There's way too many people running around Gotham. I'd limit it to Bruce, Dick, Damian, Babs, and Kate (with Bette as a sidekick for either her or Dick).

Everyone else either retires (Tim becomes a civilian detective; still involved with the Clan but no longer a cape) or moves to other franchises (I'd love to see what Dinah could do with Cass Cain, if Cass were to move to Seattle with Dinah and Ollie). Jason goes full-on anti-villain/Punisher again, Huntress goes hardcore anti-hero and no longer welcome in Gotham (maybe back to Spyral, if we can't put Huntress back on earth-2), etc.

All those characters have their fans and some of them are viable IP's in their own right, and I'm not talking about killing them off or throwing them into limbo, but the Cave is over populated and needs to be thinned out. Hell, I'd have Nightwing retain his ties to Bruce and Gotham but spend his time beyond the city and almost never go back home.

Second thing I'd do is put Batman back on the wrong side of the law. Gordon and a few others can still be cool with the Bat but Batman is much more fun when he's an outlaw who's chased by the cops.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All I know is there's no reason for nightwing to be in Gotham other than to visit the fam, so Nightwing would be globetrotting or in bludhevan or NYC. I'd also have steph go with him and have Spoiler be the Robin to Nightwing's batman with Huntress as a recurring character.

Extraordinary Member

Go back to the Batman Inc setup, and just spread the family out geographically, and have Dick and Bruce share the Batman identity, with Dick being Nightwing as well when it suits him, since the idea would be to have Bruce enter semi-retirement to focus on conserving his strength after decades of fighting and to spend time raising and training Damian and enjoy a genuinely tempestuous but exciting wedded life with Selina.

Jason hangs out in San Antonio, so he can blend some Wild West themes in that beautiful city with neo-noir elements.

Tim goes full Nicieza-style Red Robin, but his headquarters are in Las Angeles, so we can play with him having to deal with the craziness of Hollywood and Beverly Hills and the real world and mundane drudge of the city proper.

Babs sets up shop in New York City with Cass and Steph, mixing being Oracle with being Batgirl and leading the Birds of Prey.

Everyone else gets bit parts in various Batman Inc stories. And I mean EVERYONE.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    2.) Cap it.
    My god we need this so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Can't I just choose to get rid of Tom King before he inflicts any further damage on the franchise?

Please?
    I feel the same way about Didio but it doesn't seem like its happening. Endure, that is all I can say
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    All I know is there's no reason for nightwing to be in Gotham other than to visit the fam, so Nightwing would be globetrotting or in bludhevan or NYC. I'd also have steph go with him and have Spoiler be the Robin to Nightwing's batman with Huntress as a recurring character.
    Why would you have Steph be Nightwings Robin? I'm just curious

I would just keep it at the 3 robins(Dick, Jason, Tim) and 3 batgirls(Babs, Cass, Steph). We don't need anymore, I can understand Huntress because she's like batfam but not really. But besides that special "inclusion", we don't need anymore. Damian shouldn't even exist

Either get rid of around half of the characters, or start setting up various "tentpole" characters within the batfamily line who then have their own "families" and operate in their own cities/corners of the universe.

As for specifics:

Dick- Bludhaven-protector/globe trotting Spyral agent (high ranking with his own subordinates reporting to him). I'd have Damian and Steph in this book as a little slice of the Batman Reborn era.

Jason- Jason would not be a member of the family proper. His willingness to use lethal force should exclude him from the Batcave. I'd have him, Roy, and some alien character become galactic bounty hunters. This would allow him to inter into the more sci-fi portion of the DC Universe and interact with characters like the Green Lanterns, Adam Strange, and Lobo.

Tim- What make's him unique is his relatively normal family. Whatever his character is doing, it needs to include this aspect of his life. I enjoy the idea of him retiring from crime fighting and going to college to pursue either law or criminal justice.

Babs- Bringing her back to Batgirl really may have been a mistake, but its one that can't be undone. She certainly needs to be dealing with cyber crime and such though.

Quote Originally Posted by uchihafanboy View Post
    Why would you have Steph be Nightwings Robin? I'm just curious
    Probably just the two of them being enjoyable characters. I like the idea of Nightwing, Steph, and Damian all being in the same city, personally. I think Dick and Steph could really enjoy ganging up on Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by uchihafanboy View Post
    I would just keep it at the 3 robins(Dick, Jason, Tim) and 3 batgirls(Babs, Cass, Steph). We don't need anymore, I can understand Huntress because she's like batfam but not really. But besides that special "inclusion", we don't need anymore. Damian shouldn't even exist
    That's a hot take, but to be fair, Morrison did kill Damian off in an effort to not force the next writers to deal with him. To, "leave [it] the way I found it."