Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Superman vs his own rogues gallery

So, it's pretty common knowledge among many comic book fans that the Flash is ridiculously over-powered against most of his rogues. Without PIS, Barry/Wally roflolmurderstomp Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, and everyone else who isn't a speedster in their own right (aka Reverse Flashes).

That got me thinking: what about Superman and his own rogues gallery? Is he similarly ridiculously OP compared to his enemies once PIS is removed?

How does Superman fare in standard Rumbles settings against

1. Lexosuit Luthor

2. Brainiac

3. Zod / Faora

4. Mongul

5. Doomsday

6. Bizarro

7. Mxyzptlk

8. Metallo

9. Parasite

10. Manchester Black

11. Toyman

12. Prankster

13. Live Wire

14. Blaze / Satanus

15. Kryptonite Man

My best guess is only # 3, 6, 7, and 14 aren't immediately turned into paste by Clark within the first second in the Arena.

What say you?

Oh, these can be any versions, past or present, but then all characters have to be from the same continuity (Golden Age, Pre-COIE, Post-COIE, New52, or current).

Feel free to add any Super Rogues I forgot, esp if the case can be made for a non-stomp.

Arguing from a Post Crisis perspective, I agree with your assessment. But even then, Clark should have a slight edge on Zod and Bizarro. Mxy stomps him though.

Also, Doomsday is tough enough to weather a blitz in most of his forms, but can still get tossed into space. So he loses, but at least he isnt salsa!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

IMO
    brainiac if he had his ship maybe will be a good fight,otherwise,reference last stand of new krypton,brainiac defeated by a depowered zod,zod in post-crisis continuity always need his aides to stalemate superman,and rebirth he need two suns amping to reach superman level power.bizarro could give some trouble,but not much(like jla/jsa virtue and vice secret files,superman casually defeat bizarro,or ending battle,bizarro couldn't handle a drained superman alongside other villains).blaze she been beaten by superman in herself realm/hell,but surely could give superman a good fight
    worthy villains for superman is:doomsday,darkseid(yes,he been twice confirmed he and superman is physically equal,so if superman could manage turning his omega beam to against himself,like he did in apokolips now issue,then superman most likely could defeat darkseid).
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 03-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

BANNED

shouldn't Superman be vastly stronger than any kryptonian as he has been absorbing solar energy for decades so he would have more extensive energy reserves than newly arrived kryptonians.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    shouldn't Superman be vastly stronger than any kryptonian as he has been absorbing solar energy for decades so he would have more extensive energy reserves than newly arrived kryptonians.
    actually,he and supergirl(alongside like zod,those famous and have a role in dc kryptonians)is more powerful than usually kryptonians,but have different explanations,like he is the strongest child on krypton(byrne origin),he is god descendant,his adept and understanding to his powers far greater than any other kryptonians,my opinion is those factors combined make he vastly stronger than usually kryptonians
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 03-13-2019 at 11:11 PM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    actually,he and supergirl(alongside like zod,those famous and have a role in dc kryptonians)is more powerful than usually kryptonians,but have different explanations,like he is the strongest child on krypton(byrne origin),he is god ancestor,his adept and understanding to his powers far greater than any other kryptonians,my opinion is those factors combined make he vastly stronger than usually kryptonians
    they actually have specified that he was stronger due to being raos descendant? they must have felt challenged by thor.

zod in post-crisis continuity always need his aides to stalemate superman,and rebirth he need two suns amping to reach superman level power
    Depending on the version of post crisis Zod, he's done just fine against Superman. Specifically the last version, the Johns version of Zod beat him in their first fight (with allies) and later stalemated him till Superman had no choice but to take them both to the Phantom Zone to stop him

Rebirth Zod upon re emerging from the Phantom Zone beat Supes to rescue his wife and kid

Whoever heard of gods who are weaker than their own creations
    Pretty common trope actually, right from ancient times. Getting more popular these days as writers run out of ideas and beating up puny gods become ever more trendy

A particularly embarrassing example would be how the Guardians of Oa who created the corps in the first place are repeatedly shown up by their lanterns these days

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Depending on the version of post crisis Zod, he's done just fine against Superman. Specifically the last version, the Johns version of Zod beat him in their first fight (with allies) and later stalemated him till Superman had no choice but to take them both to the Phantom Zone to stop him

Rebirth Zod upon re emerging from the Phantom Zone beat Supes to rescue his wife and kid
    i know,so i think zod is a worthy enemy for superman,but i forgot mentioned it,my bad,but don't forgot in war of supermen,zod and his aides(ursa and non,especially non,he was beast even back on krypton(though this is not his fault.....) can stalemate superman,and later,need a bunch of kryptonians soldiers to subdue superman,so this is why i always think zod is less impressive than superman due to he always battling superman with allies,and russian zod is nearly as powerful as superman,but he didn't managed killed superman even in red sun condition,but still,his power is impressive,he was destroying two probes in OWAW,which is rarely characters can achieved(iirc,only superman,and doomsday,zod those level could achieve,and one probe is extremely powerful which could defeating one million daxamites by himself).and pocket universe zod,this version zod is essentially pre-crisis kryptonian,so he is far beyond superman make me didn't considering he and superman battle could called battle..........and phantom zone zod(for tomorrow),also is as powerful as superman,but eventually been beaten by superman.
    and rebirth zod story,superman is been depowered this period iirc(his senses malfunctioning)
    Edit
    rereading rebirth story,now i'm confirmed this period superman was blind(from action comics 980-984),zod even spefical his this weakness,and use he depends on hearing to location enemy,use sonic(or super-roaring)to defeating superman,superman is then in phantom zone recovering his senses)
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 03-14-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Is this base-Level Mongul, or Mongul during his “Space-Liberace”, “I want all the Lantern rings” phase?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    i know,so i think zod is a worthy enemy for superman,but i forgot mentioned it,my bad,but don't forgot in war of supermen,zod and his aides(ursa and non,especially non,he was beast even back on krypton(though this is not his fault.....) can stalemate superman,and later,need a bunch of kryptonians soldiers to subdue superman,
    Whom Supes beat off, then Superboy dropped in to help on Superman's side until it was just Zod v Kal 1 on 1,which was a stalemate

so this is why i always think zod is less impressive than superman due to he always battling superman with allies,
    That's somewhat true but Superman himself also came with allies in War of Supermen and the end of last son for instance

I'm not saying Zod is better, it's just that he hardly "always needs aides", usually not anymore than Supes himself and is otherwise portrayed as (at least) on par, with his losses being plot driven more than anything else

and russian zod is nearly as powerful as superman,but he didn't managed killed superman even in red sun condition,
    He would have, had Luthor not rescued Supes. Again, plot driven or Plot Induced Stupidity. The actual 1v1 fight he lost due to his powers weakening and Supes' returning

but still,his power is impressive,he was destroying two probes in OWAW,which is rarely characters can achieved(iirc,only superman,and doomsday,zod those level could achieve,and one probe is extremely powerful which could defeating one million daxamites by himself).and pocket universe zod,this version zod is essentially pre-crisis kryptonian,so he is far beyond superman make me didn't considering he and superman battle could called battle..........and phantom zone zod(for tomorrow),also is as powerful as superman,but eventually been beaten by superman.
    He wasn't really beaten though

and rebirth zod story,superman is been depowered this period iirc(his senses malfunctioning)
    Eh. Wasn't the revenge squad thing well after merging with new 52 supes and being back to full power. In any case the story also had Zod being established as the most powerful of the lot including Henshaw