Spectacular Member

Default A great feel good story on Stan Lee

The Man with his Boy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I recall reading this on another site a month or so ago. Great story. Roy Thomas was lucky in his timing to go see Stan. He wasn't seeing many people and he made an exception in Roy's case.

Also, at the beginning of Captain Marvel, they play some clips from Stan's parts in all the movies. Except his Willie Lumpkin in the Fox movies

Yes, I had read this as well.

I thought I heard that the clips of Stan were somewhat (minorly) changed or edited?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I had read this as well.

I thought I heard that the clips of Stan were somewhat (minorly) changed or edited?
    Not that I noticed. They go by pretty fast and they only show a glimpse of each. Some of them were short anyway. He's near the beginning of Captain Marvel and it's just one short line.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, that Stan Lee intro made me tear up.

Nuff.....said

I can’t say there’s been too much connection with Stan Lee, personally. But all I can say is, Stan Lee in “doing comics his way” , is that way that ended up on Movies (with Stan doing his own chameos, like he was a part of the super heroes he inspired), and, that Stan hits a chord that relevant, that his characters have become universal in the pop culture. This started as a little 3 colour pulp “comicbook” that wasn’t supposed to last more than a few years, and became what seems to be a new mythology of the human struggle. Nothing resonates as strongly as Stan’s little troup of characters, because of the way he presented them.

I’d like to see it defined, that presentation, one day.

The monster age of the 1960’s spawned the particularly human monsters in the super heroes. One thing you understand from history, is that men always treated each other with, lets call it disrespect, almost beastial behaviour like in a jungle, so there’s no wonder Stan Lee had his heroic figures emerge from just such a style of writing as the Monster Age. The dark side of human behaviour, I think, is that aspect Stan Lee wanted to demonstrate. Heroes may look like Angels, but don’t look too closely - you’ll find something in there that is hard to accept. But. The striving for a better way, I think is Stan’s message here. Yes, we are all a certain aspect of being a monster, but we can be an angel too, in our history, to temper our bad side.

That’s one way I see Marvel writing.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-13-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Probert View Post
    Yeah, that Stan Lee intro made me tear up.

Ditto. It had strong importance seeing that Stan Lee intro of his chameos, as though with his loss, the body of his work now becomes that much more important every movie that is made. It’s like the godfather of Marvel is no more, who we took for granted, but after this, we can’t take him for granted anymore. The sinews of Stan’s thoughts continue expanding ever outwards.

I think with time Stan could be remembered as Stanley Lieber. In German his last name means “love”.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-13-2019 at 10:49 PM.