Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, budget aside, Aquaman feels kinda like DC's version of Deadpool/Logan, with the rough but chipper biker-style Aquaman who doesn't mind leaving pirates to slowly drown being a send up of the too-light and useless image that he's been saddled with for decades due to Super Friends and the bright colors and abundance of humor contrasting against the dark palletes and joyless tones that the DCEU often gets pegged for.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 03-17-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I literally listed two different adult themed films in my post mate. Lobo doesn't have the same metatextual resonance in film as he does in comic. It wouldn't work as well.

I don't doubt that they could try and make it work, my point was more that it wouldn't work /in the same way/ as Deadpool or Logan because Lobo plays off being an the over top pastiche of 90s era edgy comics. We haven't had the abundance of 90s era tough guy comics in the MCU so his character wouldn't work as effectively.

Misogyny in protagonists can get the **** out of my media my dude.

If you want to have a protagonist in something that you want me to root for, making them not act like a dick to women is a good start.
    I will agree with you up till 90's style protagonists. If those were not enjoyed anymore. Expendables would have never worked,and neither would cable in DP 2.

Oh and one more thing,i don't know you,you don't know me. Don't address me as my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    And the real reason was that DC lost a court case over the name to Marvel and weren't allowed to use the name anymore.
    Not exactly. They weren't allowed to use the name Captain Marvel in the title of the comic and promotional mediums. But they could still use it in the comic itself. DC just decided to go with Shazam because it was already the name on the comic and did so around 2012. Before that they were calling him Captain Marvel just fine.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    I will agree with you up till 90's style protagonists. If those were not enjoyed anymore. Expendables would have never worked,and neither would cable in DP 2.
    The Expendables parallel doesn't quite work because they are set within the genre that does have a history of 90s era grim action boys. Within the superhero genre, there are no 90s era style characters who have had their own films for Lobo to pastiche.

Cable happened but it was in Deadpool's movie. If Cable has his own film, Lobo becomes a wee bit more viable but Cable would have to be played completely straight and without irony, which is unlikely, and then Lobo could be offered as a parody of that. Even then it's not the same as him being a parody of specifically 90s /comics/ iconography.

Essentially, if you did make a Lobo movie, you'd need to change a lot of what the character is to make it work in a cinematic context which is the opposite of what your original suggestion was.

Oh and one more thing,i don't know you,you don't know me. Don't address me as my dude.
    Stop advocating for misogyny and I'll happily do so.

To just be clear, Lobo could work as an antagonist just fine. In that role his backwards politics, violent tendencies and tough guy attitude, don't need to be tweaked or questioned because the audience doesn't have to tacitly endorse them because the film isn't going to be taken from his perspective.

If you want Lobo exactly as he is in comics to be seen onscreen then having him be a villain or a comedy sidekick/foil is the best route. He could even be misogynist then if you really wanted that. I wouldn't but that could work in that role.

If you want him to carry his own film and be successful, then you would need to make changes to his mechanics to make it work because protagonists have to undergo some kind of arc, learn something and change and part of Lobo's character is that he doesn't change. He is, in universe, a throwback to a different era.

Deadpool's first film was him coming to terms with his own negative body image and learning that it was the emotional connection and openness he displayed in the opening of the film that made his relationship work, not his face or his ability to kill things. It's a film about vulnerability.

Logan is about becoming irrelevant, mortality and decay of both the physicality and of ideals. That film works because we had five other Wolverine featuring films to get us to the point where a story like Logan was viable and earned.

Lobo doesn't work as well for those kinds of emotional journeys because he's not built for it. Deadpool and Wolverine have both been taken to those kinds of places in the comics so there's a precedent and design for it.

My, honestly quite longwinded, point is that just throwing Lobo onscreen as he is won't get you the same reaction as Deadpool. Adaptation has to occur when transferring mediums, especially if you want to replicate the success of Logan and Deadpool and Lobo conceptually isn't built to adapt in that way.

Out of sheer curiosity (and stupidity) I googled "misogynistic superheroes" and found a scan of Orion slapping Wonder Woman's butt.

Pleeaaaase tell me there is a second image somewhere of her saying or doing anything in return lol
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

wonder woman 'vs' Orion post crisis

ww vs Orion in new 52
    she has to approach him under the pretext of kissing him to catch him off guard

its cringe worthy for both Orion and WW.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Bit of a serious thread drift (where’s Hatneto when you need him), but I’d love to see Marvel try a low-budget adaptation of some seriously obscure properties like Death’s Head (preferably Death’s Head II) or Strikeforce Morituri.
    Fuggin' Death's Head! That's a good pull!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I'd honestly love to see a Strikeforce Morituri TV series.
    Totally would be down for Morituri or Death's Head. Yes?

Also the Metal Men. Man, easy to do with CGI these days.

If you want to have a protagonist in something that you want me to root for, making them not act like a dick to women is a good start.
    Truth. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Expendables parallel doesn't quite work because they are set within the genre that does have a history of 90s era grim action boys. Within the superhero genre, there are no 90s era style characters who have had their own films for Lobo to pastiche.

Cable happened but it was in Deadpool's movie. If Cable has his own film, Lobo becomes a wee bit more viable but Cable would have to be played completely straight and without irony, which is unlikely, and then Lobo could be offered as a parody of that. Even then it's not the same as him being a parody of specifically 90s /comics/ iconography.

Essentially, if you did make a Lobo movie, you'd need to change a lot of what the character is to make it work in a cinematic context which is the opposite of what your original suggestion was.

Stop advocating for misogyny and I'll happily do so.
    Hold on,because i say stay true to the character as is his nature which they have done even in animation. Im advocating for misogyny?
    Well ain't that a twist. I don't refer to you as anything, yet you want to continue to refer to me as if were common. So you only like to go along with common courtesy as long people fly by your demands? Not how it works with me.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    Hold on,because i say stay true to the character as is his nature which they have done even in animation. Im advocating for misogyny?
    Saying that they should put Lobo as the protagonist of a film and specifically note that they should keep his misogyny intact is you advocating for misogyny being on screen.

That's a thing you posted.

I mean, if you don't like that, you have to take that up with yourself.

Well ain't that a twist. I don't refer to you as anything, yet you want to continue to refer to me as if were common. So you only like to go along with common courtesy as long people fly by your demands? Not how it works with me.
    I'm not sure I follow what you're accusing me of here. You asked me you not refer to you as "my dude" and I asked you to stop advocating for misogyny in film which is a thing that you're doing.

I also don't think calling someone "my dude" is outside the bounds of common courtesy but that's a subjective thing so eh, I suppose.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I'm slightly surprised folks are explicitly pushing for more misogyny on screen. Usually it just takes the form of "hey I love women, but..."

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'm slightly surprised folks are explicitly pushing for more misogyny on screen. Usually it just takes the form of "hey I love women, but..."
    Dammit, Cap!

*heads off to find a new keyboard*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

If they can make effin Deadpool into a love story and have Tony Stark go from using strippers to bribe US Military to some sort of inspirational leader of the troops, I don't see how Lobo can't be made into some irreverent anti heroesque protagonist like Pearlman Hellboy. Hardly like misogyny is his only defining feature.

A boorish drunk who doesn't play by the rules or even wants to be a hero? If only someone had made idk Hancock or some big hit as a precedent...

If ant man or rocket raccoon can become popular franchise players I don't see how Lobo can't. I'm willing to bet he's already more popular than like the whole Guardians line up before the first movie was made. It can definitely work without having to be some meta commentary on 90s OTT violence and edge

Just to clear it up a bit- the Deadpool thing is a reference to drastic changes in the live action adaptation from the tone of the character in the comics, while still keepin the core character traits the same

Tony Stark thing is a reference to the sexist domineering arms mogul going on a character arc to green industrialist by Avengers- negative traits can be used as part of the character development

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    If they can make effin Deadpool into a love story and have Tony Stark go from using strippers to bribe US Military to some sort of inspirational leader of the troops, I don't see how Lobo can't be made into some irreverent anti heroesque protagonist like Pearlman Hellboy. Hardly like misogyny is his only defining feature.

A boorish drunk who doesn't play by the rules or even wants to be a hero? If only someone had made idk Hancock or some big hit as a precedent...

If ant man or rocket raccoon can become popular franchise players I don't see how Lobo can't. I'm willing to bet he's already more popular than like the whole Guardians line up before the first movie was made. It can definitely work without having to be some meta commentary on 90s OTT violence and edge
    Oh yeah, you could totally adapt Lobo for the screen and make it work. That's not hard. HATEISFOREVER's point was that just putting Lobo entirely unchanged onscreen would yield Deadpool-esq success and my contention is that you would need to change and adapt him and his relationship to the story as you would almost any comics character.