Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    To be fair, Mary Shazam is an awesome name.
    It kinda makes her sound like she should be Zatanna's kid sidekick, though.

I think Shazam (the film) is a good move by DC films.

It's effectively their shot at the Deadpool angle; low budget, slightly more comedic/deconstructionist take on the genre, charismatic lead with quotable lines and so on.

I don't know if it'll be as wildly successful as Deadpool was but I think it will do solid work and, fortunately, due to the lower budget it doesn't have to set the world on fire to be successful.
    If DC wanted a really out of the box character you can do the deadpool type of movie. It would be Lobo. Completely as he is. Foul mouthed,alcohol drinking,misogynistic bad ass space biker. Would Warner Bros do it? No idea,is it worth it? Yes,very much so.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    It kinda makes her sound like she should be Zatanna's kid sidekick, though.
    I would happily read about them being a duo solving magic crime.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    If DC wanted a really out of the box character you can do the deadpool type of movie. It would be Lobo. Completely as he is. Foul mouthed,alcohol drinking,misogynistic bad ass space biker. Would Warner Bros do it? No idea,is it worth it? Yes,very much so.
    No. The Deadpool "model" of superhero movie making is not rooted in its adult themes.

It's rooted in a low budget, metatextual writing and being an active subversion of the superhero genre. Logan is from the same area. Comparatively low budget, focus on character work and script, very meta look at the superhero film genre.

Lobo is not the right kind of character for that fit exactly. He's not a vehicle for metacommentary on superheroes as a genre within the realm of cinema because he doesn't have the same kind of cultural legacy as he does in the comics. You'd need to have something for him to play off of which doesn't currently exist.

Also, misogyny is bad. I don't want that **** in comics or superhero films, thanks.

Mary already was Zatanna's protege briefly in Countdown which was.... an edgy phase in her life let's just say. I'm still not sure if that was just Mary hitting puberty or the whole vague "Black Adam/Marvel family powers will eventually make you evil! " thing they had going at the time. Either way, it involved murder

Bit of a serious thread drift (where’s Hatneto when you need him), but I’d love to see Marvel try a low-budget adaptation of some seriously obscure properties like Death’s Head (preferably Death’s Head II) or Strikeforce Morituri.

Star Brand or Nightmask would probably be better done as TV series. They could even do a whole New Universe series, skipping around between Star Brand, Nightmask, DP7 etc. and only having the stories coincide around major stuff like the Black Event / The Pitt.

(Can you tell I’m an 80s Marvel child?)

Likewise, I’d like to see DC continue adapting their weirder stuff, e.g. following Doom Patrol with something like Will Magnus and the Metal Men.

BANNED

I thought you had hatched in the nineties due to your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I thought you had hatched in the nineties due to your avatar.
    Heh. Err... no. I hatched in the 70s. And the early 70s at that. I just only really got into Marvel in the 80s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Heh. Err... no. I hatched in the 70s. And the early 70s at that. I just only really got into Marvel in the 80s.
    oh good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Bit of a serious thread drift (where’s Hatneto when you need him), but I’d love to see Marvel try a low-budget adaptation of some seriously obscure properties like Death’s Head (preferably Death’s Head II) or Strikeforce Morituri.

Star Brand or Nightmask would probably be better done as TV series. They could even do a whole New Universe series, skipping around between Star Brand, Nightmask, DP7 etc. and only having the stories coincide around major stuff like the Black Event / The Pitt.

(Can you tell I’m an 80s Marvel child?)

Likewise, I’d like to see DC continue adapting their weirder stuff, e.g. following Doom Patrol with something like Will Magnus and the Metal Men.
    Fuggin' Death's Head! That's a good pull!

I'm also firmly in the camp that DC should just start making weird movies. Forget Superman for a few years. Give me Sandman, the Endless, Swamp Thing, an authentically horrifying Constantine film, Doom Patrol (a high budget weird movie), the Metal Men, Rot Lop Fan, the New Gods at their most out their high Kirby-esq melodrama, Animal Man and the friggin' Legion of Superheroes at their most out there alien extremes.

Give Takion a movie you cowards!

Fuggin' Death's Head! That's a good pull!

I'm also firmly in the camp that DC should just start making weird movies. Forget Superman for a few years. Give me Sandman, the Endless, Swamp Thing, an authentically horrifying Constantine film, Doom Patrol (a high budget weird movie), the Metal Men, Rot Lop Fan, the New Gods at their most out their high Kirby-esq melodrama, Animal Man and the friggin' Legion of Superheroes at their most out there alien extremes.

Give Takion a movie you cowards!
    Does Takion even exist anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Does Takion even exist anymore?
    Probably not.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'd honestly love to see a Strikeforce Morituri TV series.

I would happily read about them being a duo solving magic crime.

No. The Deadpool "model" of superhero movie making is not rooted in its adult themes.

It's rooted in a low budget, metatextual writing and being an active subversion of the superhero genre. Logan is from the same area. Comparatively low budget, focus on character work and script, very meta look at the superhero film genre.

Lobo is not the right kind of character for that fit exactly. He's not a vehicle for metacommentary on superheroes as a genre within the realm of cinema because he doesn't have the same kind of cultural legacy as he does in the comics. You'd need to have something for him to play off of which doesn't currently exist.

Also, misogyny is bad. I don't want that **** in comics or superhero films, thanks.
    Its not rooted in it,but it's the only film of a marvel character with adult themes.

There are ways to work him in a solo movie which dc is doing now with most of their properties. His whole popularity is based on how over the top he is.

Oh please,and wolverine gutting people is good? It's a part of his character. Even in young justice the animation he made light of wonder girl bat girl by calling them hakeezy femmes. He is not a good guy or even an honorable badguy. He's just blunt and does what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    Its not rooted in it,but it's the only film of a marvel character with adult themes.
    I literally listed two different adult themed films in my post mate. Lobo doesn't have the same metatextual resonance in film as he does in comic. It wouldn't work as well.

There are ways to work him in a solo movie which dc is doing now with most of their properties. His whole popularity is based on how over the top he is.
    I don't doubt that they could try and make it work, my point was more that it wouldn't work /in the same way/ as Deadpool or Logan because Lobo plays off being an the over top pastiche of 90s era edgy comics. We haven't had the abundance of 90s era tough guy comics in the MCU so his character wouldn't work as effectively.

Oh please,and wolverine gutting people is good? It's a part of his character. Even in young justice the animation he made light of wonder girl bat girl by calling them hakeezy femmes. He is not a good guy or even an honorable badguy. He's just blunt and does what he does.
    Misogyny in protagonists can get the **** out of my media my dude.

If you want to have a protagonist in something that you want me to root for, making them not act like a dick to women is a good start.